“Cozy place to dine”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed February 10, 2014

My family has used this Tavern for more than 15 years as a meeting place between those who live in MA and those who live in CT. The staff there are pleasant and accommodating. We once met there on New Year's Eve day as preparations were being made for the evening's festivities. We were served tasty food and allowed to visit without being made to feel that we were overstaying our welcome. They have soups that warm from within...Onion soup and veggie beef were two that were had last week. Their onion rings are great and the French fries that come with lunches are hot and crispy. Our group had at least 5 different choices and all were happy with their orders. Good wholesome food!

Reviewed February 5, 2014

The ambiance is wonderful with the fireplace and walk up restaurant. The food is delicious and they offer a pretty good selection. I like sitting and dining at the bar- did I mention, a full bar? Oh yes, and talented bartenders too!

2  Thank Sandy N
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We had a small family birthday party at the Oxhead Tavern Sat. afternoon. Cozy fireside tables, very accommodating, nice staff and very good food for the price.
Would recommend to everyone.

Reviewed January 25, 2014

We try to make it to Sturbridge 2-3 times a year to meet up with family. We always stay at Sturbridge Host Hotel and eat at OxHead Tavern. It is a great beach setting in the summer and very cozy in the winter.
Unfortunately, I will hesitate before giving the tavern my business again.
We were celebrating my sons 10th birthday and decided to have dinner at the tavern instead of trying to venture out in the snow storm to try someplace different.
There were 7 of us for dinner which apparently, was more than the dining room could handle. Although there were only 4 other customers, they crammed us in to a table for 5 that was on top of the hostess station and right next to the door (as far from the fireplace as you can get). The hostess stood over us while we discussed what to order which made me feel very uncomfortable. With 4 children at the table, I had to set some boundaries around what and what not to order. Discouraging my children from ordering filet mignon seemed to have meant something to the hostess who then sent the waitress out to inquire how many 2 for 1 meal coupons we were going to redeem.
Maybe I was being over sensitive, but I really felt unwelcome from the moment we walked in.
I will gladly stay at the Sturbridge Host Hotel again, but cringe at the thought of going back to OxHead Tavern.

1  Thank Zzus42
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Service was good, atmosphere very good, but the food? Ok it's good. Not great. Left a little to be desired.