“Christmas Day buffet”

Publick House Historic Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Publick House Historic Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #4 of 65 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: American, Bar, Soups
Good for: Business meetings, Kids, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
hartford
“Christmas Day buffet”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

The food is consistently good and the decorations and atmosphere were fine for a holiday - very busy at 3 pm with 2 full buffet setups to handle diners in all the rooms.
NO music? that I noticed - even with full tables it wasn't noisy or distracting.

hors deouvres table with salads - esp chicken caesar! - also hummus, garden salad, antipasto, and NE clam chowder

table with assorted rolls and breads including sticky pecan rolls!!!

entree table with roasted mashed potatoes, green beans, cod, chicken, and separate carving table with roast beef, and turkey with VG stuffing and cranb sauce, shirmp cocktail - also penne with sauce and a few other items I can't remember, plus a section of children's entrees ( VG idea)

dessert table with cookies, hot apple pan dowdy ( not crisp which I prefer) pumpkin pie, cheesecake, chocolate cake, petit fours ( no indian pudding??)

very nice wait staff as usual

overall VG but one comment -
for $50 per person, I would expect see a bit more creativity in some dishes - a few more unique things - and more assortment at dessert table. basically all was fine as always - just raise it up a notch!! especially for a holiday celebration

3 Thank ctdiner50

Middletown, Delaware
“a gem--best Clam Chowder!!”
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Was lucky enough to stumble on this place. Beautiful building with very friendly staff. If you want good Clam Chowder, this is the place. The rest of my meal was good but after stuffing myself with the soup I needed a doggie bag for most of my dinner.

Visited May 2011
Connecticut
“Comeback Trail”
Reviewed December 20, 2011

In July 2010, I wrote a negative review of the Publick House after my wife and I had experienced a second unsatisfactory visit to what had once been one of our favorite "special treat" restaurants. Yesterday we were tempted back by the urge to see if the restaurant had reversed its steep downward slide and by a 2 for 1 coupon. We were accompanied by another couple. Happily, the restaurant seems to have righted itself. My wife and I ordered the same basic meal that we had ordered last time with poor results. That time the classic lobster pie had been changed for the worse; this time the old, far better recipe had been largely restored. I got the turkey dinner again, and like last time my request for all dark meat arrived with all white meat. However the server quickly fixed the error. This time the service was very good compared the the multiple errors last time. The couple with us had a skirt stead and a lobster mac and cheese and pronounced both of them very good, although the steak arrived medium rare instead of rare as ordered. There was a nice basket of assorted breads and rolls, the onion soup and clam chowder were both good, the deserts (red velvet cheesecake and apple pie a la mode) very good, and the coffee excellent. The setting remains wonderfully "old New England." It iwas a fairly pricey lunch ($90 before the coupon for my wife and me including entrees, soup, dessert, one drink each, and coffee, not including the tip), but this time the service and food made the price acceptable. It is no bargain, but it is no longer overpriced for what you get. If you liked the Publick House in the old days and were disappointed after the management changed a couple of years ago, it is worth giving the restaurant another chance.

Springfield, Massachusetts
“Fantastic Turkey Dinner”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

The Publick House is great to visit, especially this tme of year!

The meal was very good. Several had the tukey dinner. Enough for a few meals with one serving.
One person said the chowder was the best she had ever had.

Very pleasant atmosphere

Worcester, Massachusetts
“Bartender made up for dining room rudeness”
Reviewed December 10, 2011

During a Saturday mid-afternoon, three staff members (one the manager - with a smirk on her face) were not concerned about customers. One talked on the phone while two others seemed to be counting sheep...while we stood in front of them waiting to be seated! Finally Ashley was told to bring us to a table, which she did, and unceremoniously threw two menus on the table, knocking a placemat on the floor, turning on her heel, and leaving us standing there. What we did to deserve this superiority attitude and rudeness, we'll never know. We left the table and found our way to the downstairs tavern as we headed back to our car. We sat at the bar, and decided to order lunch; Lucas, the bartender, made up for the dining room ladies, who are clearly in the wrong business. Lucas brought us a delicious lunch, chicken pot pie and pastrami sandwich. He was attentive, pleasant, friendly, and provided the little extras that customers appreciate. As we left, even the busboy, cleaning a nearby table, smiled and wished us a good afternoon. The dining room staff needs to take a few lessons in common courtesy from those who work in the tavern!

Visited December 2011