“No service”

Publick House Historic Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Publick House Historic Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #3 of 65 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: American
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Avon, Connecticut
“No service”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Yesterday afternoon my family and I visited your establishment after a trip to Old Sturbridge Village. The Publick House used to be a favorite destination for us; however, our last visit was very disappointing. Perhaps if we had continued upstairs things might have been different, but we elected to eat in the tavern. There were plenty of tables available, and the hostess seated us immediately. After about 10 minutes without a server, I asked the hostess if our table had a server taking care of it. She assured me it did, but several minutes later she herself personally filled our water glasses and took a drink order while assuring us a server would be over. After another 10 minutes without a server or the drinks, we left. This kind of service may be acceptable in an establishment that doesn't rely on repeat business or word-of-mouth recommendations: anywhere else and the establishment would be history. Let me give credit where it is due: the hostess was very pleasant and at least attempted to take care of us.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank Charles W

Boston, Massachusetts
“Beautiful historic grounds, mediocre food, lacking staff and hospitality is a foreign word...”
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Beautiful grounds.. That's about it. Plenty of vacationing bus-goers were staying at the inn. Upon entering from the rear, it was nearly impossible to navigate to the front desk or dining room that serves a sit down ala carte breakfast. There were no staff present anywhere and other guests were meandering around looking for staff as well - to ask questions.

After finding the main dining room, we were greeted by a not-so-friendly hostess that sat us in a large, empty dining room - it was SO quiet I could hear my heart beating. Jazz would have been greatly appreciated (at one point I would have been happy if there were a homeless saxophone singer playing in the corner)... AND then we waited and waited, waited some more and about 15 minutes later our "straight from the neighborhood diner" waitress arrived at our table with a not-so-friendly demeanor. It was obvious we were an inconvenience for her and she spoke about how she dreaded 10AM to come around, as it got busy.

We then waited for another 15 minutes before our coffee and orange juice arrived. I asked for skim milk with my coffee and it was brought over in a beverage glass - I stated that it was only for my coffee and she left it the way it was. I asked if she could put it in a creamer because it would spill everywhere when I tried to use it. She was blatantly irritated. Common sense, please. Once again, hospitality anyone?

The eggs benedict was comparable to an average brunch buffet and was definitely not made to order - the eggs weren't runny and the hollandaise sauce a thin, oily liquid. The home fries appeared to be burnt, microscopic pieces of potato skin. Edible due to hunger, nonetheless, but not impressed. Oh.. and they were completely out of bagels at 8AM?

Coffee was not offered to be refreshed and the check was brought over while eating. After asking for a coffee refill, she came over twice in a matter of 5 minutes to see if the check was ready. Again, what is the rush for? There was one other table!

Receiving the check and paying the bill was the speediest operation.

Needless to say, after driving two hours to check out this "charming" establishment I will not be back, nor recommend to anyone I know.

Good luck with your bus groups... You'll need it.

• Visited October 2011
3 Thank dba80
Daphne, Alabama
“Should be great but it is not”
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I like pubs ... But this one lacks in atmosphere. I was going to have dinner, but decided just to have a martini and shrimp cocktail and split. I was here once before for a late night meal at the bar, and I liked it. But this time, no. The turn off was the incredible noise level the servers constantly made by throwing the dirty dishes into a bin. It was such a turnoff. Servers need to be better trained. Food is over priced for the quality.

winthrop, ma
“decent breakfast and value..long long wait for check”
Reviewed September 19, 2011

Had a nice breakfast at the Publik House this morning, nice omlette, with english muffin and home fries -, husband had the cornd beef hash with eggs and home fries, coffee was included in the price which contributed in making this a good value. total for breakfast under 18.00. service was good till we needed the check - then we waited a very long time (maybe 15 minutes) seemed especially long considering there ere only 4 tables occupied in the place.

• Visited September 2011
Pennsylvania
“Cookies”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

The same coworker a few years back that recommended that we stay at the Days Inn in Sturbridge on our way to Maine also said that we had to stop in here for the cookies. Glad we did because they are great. The other baked goods look great too, but I've just never managed to get past the cookies. The cookies help make the rest of the drive up to Maine just an ounce better.

Visited November 2010