“Excellent new restaurant in Sturbridge”
Review of Sturbridge Seafood

Sturbridge Seafood
Ranked #2 of 65 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: Seafood, Grill
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Sturbridge Seafood is offers a variety of creatively prepared dishes from sea and land featuring the freshest seafood the area has to offer. Our menu changes almost daily to reflect what is available. From award-winning chowder to shared plates to entrees there is something for everyone. We have 14 taps of craft and American brews, over 20 wines by the glass and artisan as well as classic cocktails that change with the whim of our bar staff. We are excited to add our unique culinary perspective to the Sturbridge, MA restaurant scene!
Reviewed January 14, 2014

Supberb calamari app. Chop salad was generous in size and very tasty. Fried scallops very good.
The shrimp over penne was also very good.

1  Thank Tom D

Reviewed December 16, 2013

I had read a newspaper review of this establishment..then forgot about it. The building in which the restaurant is unimpressive, and if you tend to judge a book by it's cover, you will pass by this place. You'll notice the Pizza sign (another restaurant sharing the building) and perhaps comment on the seafood sign, but not be enticed to stop.
A mistake.
We were leaving Yankee Spirits, which shares the entrance drive off of Route 20 westbound, and thought about food. I remembered the Seafood Sign and said "let's give it a try".
3:30 on a Sunday afternoon. We were the only ones in the restaurant. A small well designed room. Tables, a few booth style areas and a long bar, the top made from a collage of wine cases. Bright, subtle decor with a focal point being a large crab sculpture on the main wall.
We chose seats at the comfortable bar and were handed an array of menus. Once sorted we realized there was an extensive wine and drink selection. Extensive. For a small place this menu was HUGE!
We made a selection from the chalk board drink special menu and looked over the single sheet lunch menu. A nice selection but limited . We selected fish and chips and shared a bowl of clam chowder.
The chowder arrived promptly and was hot! So often one can get a cup of lukewarm or nuke warm chowder. The chowder is thick, but not with a flour thickened flavor. A smoky bacon taste, succulent clams and potatoes, hint of onion and a sprinkle of paprika...a nice start to the meal.
Our fish and chips arrived with sides of tartar, ketchup and a malt vinegar aioli sauce...... the plate held two pieces of "captains cut" (thick) , moist, flaky white, FRESH fish encased in a perfectly crisp, not greasy, thin layer of breading. A small bed of peppery fresh cut fries were a nice contrast to the subtle flavors of the fish, not overpowering the plate nor palate.
Prices are reasonable for the quality of food. Emphasis is placed on freshness, and presentation. Attentive service, hot food, clean and bright setting..........a welcome surprise in the often over processed just don't care dining out world.
Our server/bartender was perfect. She was attentive yet not over bearing. She was friendly and respectful. She made sure our meal was to our satisfaction. She attended to detail and truly knew the products represented. Her smile and upbeat laughter enhanced our experience, and added Sturbridge Seafood on our list of places to "definitely try again".

The location just does not do this place justice. Sharing the office style white sided building with a pizza place lessens the aesthetic value. Being on the Westbound side of a split Main road presents the challenge of one way traffic, or a required effort further for a U turn .
Make that effort. This place is worth it.

and perhaps someday the owner will be able to venture further, with staff, decor and design into a better suited building.

1  Thank AmyGust
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I was there a few weeks ago for lunch and plan to go back, very pleased with everything. We both had excellent fish and chips and price was reasonable. Service was good, no complaints.

1  Thank Ginger P
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Found it noisy. After a 40 min. wait we were seated at the "high chairs". But we were hungry. Food good, bit pricey, waitress not very good. Scallops on the small side and were over done (w/excellent risotto) We'll try it for lunch next time.

1  Thank Elvin K
CMCharby, Owner at Sturbridge Seafood, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2014

My colleagues and I want to thank you for your comments. We accept them as an opportunity to improve what we can to make everyone's experience a great one - especially yours. We realize that our space limits our ability at times to seat guests promptly and that the close proximity in which we all work and dine can create a bustling atmosphere on a busy night. We do you hope you give us another try.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Being a man raised in Gloucester, MA I have come to know seafood. I can tell fresh from frozen without tasting it. I can tell a good piece of fish a mile away. Because of that I am often skeptical of any seafood I get. Because of the great seafood I have had in Gloucester I lower my expectations when I go to a place not on the water. Friends I must tell you of a place a hundred miles from Gloucester. Sturbridge Seafood on Rt 20, next to Sal's Pizza and in front of Yankee Spirits, is BETTER than anything I have had in Gloucester. Matter of fact it is in my top 3 BEST MEALS EVER. Every spoonful, every forkful was every bit as good if not BETTER than any world class five star restaurant I have been in. Ken is the Chef of a world class restaurant in Sturbridge, MA. I don't care where you come from to eat there, you must eat there if you enjoy great seafood. The menu is decided daily based on what Ken can get the freshest that day. The on line version is only a sample. He prepares it the way it should be. He has the utmost respect for the seafood he serves and cooks it all to order. If it is not to his standards he doesn't put it on the menu. I cannot understand why there is not a line around the building to get a seat in this place. Waitstaff was great and very knowledgeable. They don't serve it if they haven't tried it. I think that I have said enough to get you interested in this place but I assure you I could go on and on. Please make the trip and enjoy one of the best meals you will ever have !!!!

2  Thank Jamie M