“Really enjoyable way to enjoy Old Sturbridge Village”

Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Ranked #1 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
“Really enjoyable way to enjoy Old Sturbridge Village”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have been a member of Old Sturbridge Village (OSV) for several years, and I freely admit to being a huge fan of living history museums like this one. I've stayed at the Sturbridge Host Hotel & Conference Center (across the busy highway from OSV) in the past, but it didn't do much to add to the experience of visiting the historic village. I live less than two hours away--it was better to just drive home under most circumstances.

As a member, I got an email when the Old Sturbridge Inn opened last summer. They offered a VERY attractive mid-week rate for members, so I jumped right on that and stayed overnight in September with my school-aged child during a homeschool day event. That experience was head and shoulders above our previous family overnight experience (across the road...) for a February vacation week camp. Instead of a room smelling of chlorine, we enjoyed an historic room with no mold, mildew, or weird chemicals. I have allergies, and I was worried that staying in the "charming" part of the inn would be a mistake. Nope! I've now enjoyed rooms one and five in the Inn, and my allergies did not flare up.

Just this weekend, I stayed in the inn for a second overnight. This time, I'd dragged my husband along to an evening event at OSV and thought it would be nice to enjoy an evening alone together. He admitted to some fear of the historic property (he likes a nice, bland Holiday Inn!) but found it very comfortable. He could adjust the heat as warm as he liked (too hot for me), there was wifi and a flat screen tv, and the water pressure was adequate.

Honestly, yes, I've stayed in fancier places around the world... but this is a fun (historically correct) place to stay with a perfect location for visiting OSV. It is clean and the staff is very pleasant. The rooms are clean and (at least in the Inn) quite large. The fact that you can cut through the adjacent bank/Country Curtains/Thai restaurant parking lots and get to OSV without crossing Rte. 20 is awesome.

Five stars is intended as five stars for STURBRIDGE, MASS, and compared to the other existing options. The suggestions I could offer (a real restaurant on site... <sigh>) aren't really feasible. If you are heading to OSV and want to stay overnight, the Old Sturbridge Inn is indubitably your best option for local lodging.

The bathrooms are the only place where I see glimpses of the Inn as it must have been (in the 1970's?) as opposed to the quirky charm of an updated 1830's house. They function perfectly well, but the light fixtures stand out as weird, ugly fluorescent boxes. I don't need them to spend a ton more money (and charge a fortune) to fix that, but it could offend some. The floors are updated tile, the sinks are a charming-ish style, and the tub/shower combo is standard hotel issue. They're fine, but not deluxe.

The continental breakfast is nicer than some--several choices of cold cereal, oatmeal packets, packaged bagels and pastries--but very good to have. The coffee maker in the room is something I'd consider a necessity. The addition of hand-thrown pottery mugs made at OSV is a very nice touch. Robes and slippers in the room make me happy.

Room Tip: I've stayed in two ground floor, Rte. 20 facing rooms in the Inn, and both were spacious and ver...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mommywillo
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
We are always pleased when guests return, especially our members and find the Inn a charming place to stay. It fits right in with the Old Sturbridge Village setting. Glad to hear you attended the evening event and had a great time. We look forward to your return and always we thank you for your suggestions. Look forward to seeing you the next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed January 24, 2014

The whole place was VERY clean. the amenities were excellent. the complimentary breakfast was continental yet had a good variety. the gals at the front desk are so professional, friendly and helpful.an example was when . I called to let them know a light was out in the bathroom . Then i called back a moment later to say i just had not seen the switch, they did not make me feel as dumb as i was feeling. Christine and Stephanie(sp?) were so helpful and kind at the front desk. I LOVED all the places i could walk my dog around their grounds. having a well lit and wheelchair accessible sidewalk to the Friendly's Resturant next door was helpful. The hotel is so convenient to the working musuem.We enjoyed staying there so much we added a day , just to relax and slow our trip down. the room we stayed in was very roomy.

Room Tip: we had a handicapp room, so i can not say much about the regular rooms. other than the towel rack be...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
I was pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your recent stay with us and how friendly and helpful our staff was. We are extremely close to Old Sturbridge Village and we offer great discounts for our guests. Although we are not pet friendly we do accept guests who have dogs for special assistance. Hope to see you all again.
new york
Reviewed January 21, 2014

My husband and I visit Kennebunkport Maine every year and this year decided to stay in Sturbridge for one night beforehand. This was our first time at the Old Sturbridge Inn and we were both delighted. At check in, reception was very welcoming and confirmed a lovely room. This is a clean, cozy hotel and we look forward to staying again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Thank you for your wonderful comments. We were pleased you found us and happy to hear the staff was friendly and helpful and your room was to your satisfaction. Hope to see you again soon.
Vernon, Connecticut
Reviewed January 1, 2014

We stayed here for New Years Eve for the first time.Stayed in the origional inn.They have all been remodeled and are a bargain.Big room with a canopy bed,flat screen tv,and very quiet.Will stay again,and plan on going back for Valentines Day.It was really nice to hear that the Reed family donated their time and money to save this piece of property and bring it back to what it looks like now.If you are looking for a beautiful place to stay;you won't find anything that compares to Old Sturbridge Inn.Thanks again to the Reeder family for your generosity!!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank steven s
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, January 2, 2014
I was pleased to hear you had an opportunity to enjoy the Oliver Wight House. Yes it still has the 1789 feel with all the modern features. Look forward to your return next month.
NEW YORK
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We decided to plan a family reunion gathering somewhere btw nyc and New Hampshire . After much googling we found old sturbridge village in MA . We followed our fellow trip advisors review of where to lodge and this inn was highly recommended. SO VERY glad we stayed here. Our 6 rooms were Big, Clean, and cozy. Christine did an excellent job helping us plan this and making sure our rooms were basically together. Weeks Prior to our arrival we called the front desk and the Publick house was recommended for a late lunch (make reservations). Great suggestion. Then we headed over the the Village for Christmas by Candlelight. Our Family thoroughly enjoyed the evening till the village closed. We had reservations the following day for the brunch at the Oliver Wight House where we toasted the holiday and went on our merry way. Sturbridge reed inn and the village will become our new holiday tradition. Festive , pleasant, accommodating and joyous. Special thanks to the staff at the inn for answering my many questions prior to arrival and maintaining a beautiful Inn.

Room Tip: The double beds are very large. Rooms 30 and 31 share a hallway so it was great to have my grandson...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, December 27, 2013
I was pleased to have you and your family stay with us for the Holiday Season and you enjoyed your experience with the Christmas by Candlelight experience at the Village. Many of our guests comment on how spacious and comfortable our guest rooms. Glad to hear you experience excellent guest service from Christine and all our staff. Look forward to having you and your family return.
Newport, Rhode Island
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

We just recently stayed at the Inn the rooms were spacious, the staff was very friendly and accommodating (especially Christine). Convenient location. We walked to the Christmas candlelight ceremony at Old Sturbridge. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed December 2013
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, December 24, 2013
We thank you for your wonderful comments about how comfortable our rooms are and about our friendly staff especially Christine. I was glad to hear you enjoyed your Christmas by Candlelight experience at Old Sturbridge Village.
ALBANY
Reviewed December 18, 2013

A friend and I stayed there after doing "Christmas by Candlelight" at The Village. The room was HUGE and comfortable. Beds were awesome. Reasonable rates, great staff. Will definitely stay there again.

JW

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
OldSturbridgeVillage, Manager at Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges, responded to this review, December 19, 2013
We were pleased to hear how much you enjoyed the Village by Candlelight and your stay with us. Many of our guests comment on how friendly and helpful the staff is and our reasonable rates. Look forward to seeing you again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sturbridge
Comfort Inn and Suites Colonial
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center
Days Inn Sturbridge
Days Inn Sturbridge
#10 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges? Share your experiences!