“Beware: unless you like to be close with your neighbors!”

Sturbridge RV Resort
MA
“Beware: unless you like to be close with your neighbors!”
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I've just returned from a less-than-24-hr trip to Outdoor World. Being a "Thousand Trails" campground, I made an assumption that it would be similar to "resort" camping and be quite nice. I was wrong. The campground itself is very small, tight roads with sites a picnic table away from the road and one another. The hookups were everywhere but each and every site was just too close to one another for my comfort. Lots of "seasonal" kids (I assume) handing out and crossing through sites like it was their backyard. I've camped many places, I would NEVER chose this place again!

Not sure why the previous reviewer rated it as well maintained and then ranted and raved about the poor management. The review was so long, I couldn't finish it!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank dmforce

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Wilmington, Delaware
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Overall the park is clean and well maintained, however being primarily a pro-seasonal park, many or most of the decent sites are already in use by seasonal campers. Some sites are right on a small pond there, which provide for a nice view overlooking some water. Many of the sites around the club house are (in additional to many being seasonal sites) are very close together, as in awning to awning, and back to back. We were there June 29th through July 4th, so perhaps the park would not be as crowded as we experienced because of the holiday weekend/week. Additionally, there are very few paved roads, and as such are in poor shape with ruts and pot holes a plenty. Other than keeping the speed down by traveling vehicles, I saw little benefit otherwise. A few trips in and out of the park for essentials and you felt as though you were destroying the shock absorbers in your vehicle. We stayed in site S34, which is in the upper loop. The upper loop is very tight to maneuver a large rig such as our 39' 5th wheel, however if the sites are not fully occupied, its possible, but not desirable. At one point in the upper loop, there is no turnaround at the end, so one would need to back your rig down the rut-laden pathway to the bottom of the hill. No small feat for the best of drivers. Additionally, there seems to be no control of barking dogs. Perhaps it was just around our site area, but there were several barking dogs that the owners and/or management just didn't seem to care about the constant barking. This can be very annoying weather you have a dog or not. We have no dog so it was very annoying to us. Now, a word about the park management. The story is, we were told to pick out a site (walked up there because she told us that if we got to the end there was no turning around) and let her know which site we would be using. We walked back down to the club house and told her that we liked S34, but there appeared to be some stuff from the previous camper left behind, such as fire wood, a sink, and a storage bin. She said if the site was empty... we could use it. So, we set up camp in the site, then headed back down to the office to get our check in package. When we arrived the lady told us that she was unaware previously that the site S34 was a seasonal site, and that she was unaware that the seasonal renter had left (hence take any empty site statement). She then called the park manager on the phone, told her the situation, and was informed that it would be ok for us to stay on the site. So, we headed out to explore the countryside. We were out only a few hours and we get a call from someone saying that we are parked in their site, as they paid for that site on a seasonal basis. They told us to move our camper asap. I told the guy to check with the office, as they stated it was alright for me to set up there. He was insistent that we move. I proceeded to travel back to the park, where I contacted the woman that told us it was ok to set up there. She contacted the park manager, who was then on-site, and they said sit tight they would go up and talk with the seasonal renter. A few minutes later they returned to say I could stay there. I thought sure I would need to move. It seemed to me that the local, who paid a seasonal fee to have that site, and who may return year after year to purchase a season site would take precedent over an out of town-er (some 400 miles away). From a business perspective the prudent action would be to have me move my rig, however from a doing the right thing perspective, given the circumstances (the man never told anyone he would be gone for a week so they could have placed notice on the site as occupied) and I was already set up, they should have let me stay, however the business end always wins out. Well, to my surprise and amazement... they said I did not have to move. WOW... doing the right thing prevailed over the business aspect... I am impressed. They deserve kudos for doing the right thing for even a one time customer like me. If they sided with me on this issue, I am confident they would bend over backwards to accommodate any reasonable request from a camper staying at their park. If I could split the rating up between management and park, I would certainly give the management 5+ stars. However because the park was primarily seasonal, and the sites and roads were so tight, I can only give the overall a 3-star rating. I would not let his review cloud your judgment on staying there. My suggestion would be to give them a try if you are in the area, as your rig may be smaller than mine and you may select a section of the park that has better sites and roads, and you will likely not have the issues I had with the irritating seasonal camper. Did I mention that while he was waiting for me to return he proceeded to dismantle my set up??? Yes, when I returned I found that he had disconnected the electric and cable service, retracted my awning, picked up my ground cover carpet and chair, and threw them in the back of my truck. I just wonder how far he would have gone if I had not returned as soon as I did. Perhaps he would have latched on to my camper and pulled it out of the site. Maybe its just me but I think it takes a lot of nerve messing with someone else's stuff like that. He obviously has some control issues he should seek counseling for.

Room Tip: If you have a large rig, call ahead to see if there are any large sites available for you.