“What's Right at Oliver Wight Tavern”

Oliver Wight Tavern
Ranked #19 of 64 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: American, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The Oliver Wight Tavern is located at the entrance to historic Old Sturbridge Village, offering a traditional menu in our Tap Room Restaurant, as well as a hearty Sunday Brunch Buffet
North Grafton, Massachusetts, United States
“What's Right at Oliver Wight Tavern”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014 via mobile

We had a pleasurable experience on a warm July Sunday morning. We were on our first brunch with just the two of us without our recently born baby and were really looking forward to celebrating our 3rd Anniversary, having been married just down the road at the Publick House.

While we love the Publick House this was a much better brunch / breakfast than they offer there.

The buffet included a carving station, omelet station, Belgian waffles with sweet fresh strawberries and whipped cream, fruit bar, home fries, bacon, sausage, danish and other breakfast pastries.

Food was delicious and the server was fast to fill our waters.

Dining area was very loud, seems as if they might have removed carpet that used to be in the dining area. They packed people in and it felt a little cafeteria-like.

Definitely wasn't the true old world ambience I was expecting other than the servers who were in costume garb of the period.

Hostess area was a little chaotic and felt unorganized.

Can't speak to the value as we had a gift certificate - bottom line it was good food and that is what is right at the Oliver Wight.

2 Thank michaelscully

Massachusetts
“Mother's Day Brunch - hope you don't like OJ”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2014

We've had brunch many times here. Most have been fine, but this one makes me really wonder what in the world was going on. I took my wife and 2 kids here for Mother's Day and we paid the $129 up front with our reservation. We arrived at 10am and were immediately confronted with a huge disorganized line to get in. It was as if they had never done something like this before. After 15 minutes in line we finally got to the one hostess who was checking everyone in and gave our name. She found our envelope and we waited another 3 or so minutes for someone to seat us (a disorganized process that explained the long line behind us). Instead of giving us our table of 4 (which I saw the hostess point at), this girl then proceeded to put us at a large table for 12 or so (apparently our table was filled with someone else so she figured she'd just abandon us elsewhere). We said we didn't want to share a table and my wife went back to the hostess who then proceeded to sit other groups while my wife just stood there. We finally got our table of 4 but this wasn't exactly a positive way to start a Mother's Day.

That being said, the food was OK but has been better. The selection wasn't as nice and they were running out of things and couldn't re-stock fast enough. But my biggest surprise is that orange juice apparently was not included in our $129 brunch cost. I have never, ever been to a brunch where juice wasn't included. When we ordered our 3 OJ's, the server made no mention of this. I was quite surprised when I asked for the bill and received one for $6 or so to cover 3 OJ's. So coffee and mild are included, but OJ isn't. I would have pressed this at the time, but we were running late at the time and wanted to get into the Village. But seriously, if you are forcing folks to pony up $30 per person on a brunch you might want to reconsider the idea of orange juice being an add-on cost (and a surprise one at that). It kind of makes you look a bit ridiculous. I still can't believe it. Not sure I ever want to return.

• Visited May 2014
4 Thank humuhumu_fish
Monroe, Connecticut
“Weekend Away”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

We got brunch included in our stay at the Sturbridge Inn. The staff was very friendly and attentive. The food was good and there were a lot of choices for the price. Would definitely recommend the brunch.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Joan D
Holliston, Massachusetts
“Great Brunch and History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

We have enjoyed the brunch offered on Sundays as it offers excellent variety, pleasant staff and a wonderful atmosphere. I would always recommend making a reservation, though, because the wait may be long otherwise. Also, the entrees do get swapped out from time to time during the meal, so if you don't see what you are hoping for at first, it may yet show up! Our boys look forward to the chocolate fountain on the desserts' table, but it was not there on 3/9/14. I don't know if this is a temporary situation...when it is there it really adds a magical touch...and aroma! The price is quite reasonable. We love it for a family meeting place; the kids are not confined to a table the way they would be in a traditional service setting and the village offers great walks to burn off those newly added calories.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank Parkfans41613
New Haven, Connecticut
“Very nice brunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

Very pleased with the Sunday Brunch offering at the Oliver Wight Tavern. They are meticulous in keeping the food fresh and appetizing right up to the end of the seating. Excellent variety of food available.

Visited January 2014