“Local restaurant with entertainment”
Review of The Duck

The Duck
Reserve with OpenTable
The Duck is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 66 Restaurants in Sturbridge
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Reviewed January 7, 2013

We enjoy going to the Duck for a casual drink at the bar and a light meal. The best part is having live entertainment!

Reviewed December 22, 2012

On a Tuesday evening it was not crowded so we were seated without a wait. Our server was pleasant and available as needed. The house salads had very fresh mixed greens with a mild, slightly sweet vinaigrette dressing. I ordered bouillabaisse that had fresh shrimp, scallops, littleneck clams, mussels and haddock in a saffron lobster broth; it was delicious, an ample portion I could finish. My wife liked the beef Marsala tips that were in a sauce over freshly made pasta, mushrooms, spinach and caramelized onions; she had some left for take home. We did have to ask for bread. Slices of a fresh baguette were served with olive oil and fresh herbs but I think a bit too much sea salt. The manager said he would tell the chef and explained that they are striving for excellence not ordinary. The deserts were excellent in taste and presentation (chocolate cake and pumpkin ice cream).
They do have a gluten free menu that we did not try but will recommend to those who need this diet. The dim lighting of the wooden beams of the old barn ceiling /roof has a rustic atmosphere and the remodeled restrooms are very clean. We plan to stop by again.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

One of the worst dinning experiences of I have ever had. The food was inedible! From the iced tea that I was told was fresh brewed and it turned out to be from the soda dispenser, to the caesar salad slop. I could not eat my food and my wife had chicken pot pie which she was unable to eat. This is a place that has no clue how to cook. Do not go here!!!! To my surprise when the waitress cleared the table and I asked for the check she never asked why we did not eat the food.

4  Thank mps7777777
Reviewed November 18, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in for a cocktail after a visit to the local spirit shop. Great cocktails , which led to some great apps (fried oysters - yum, spinach artichoke dip young, and BBQ chips with blue cheese yum). We then moved onto dinner and got the fried oyster dinners.... So good, sweet, great batter and really good fries! We have never had a bad meal at this gem! Worth a trip for sure !

Reviewed November 12, 2012

The duck which is more of a lounge than a restaurant occupies the second floor of what used to be the Whistling Swan and Ugly Duckling. The room is very comfortable and as we were there on a Monday we had acoustical enetertainment by a young woman who was very good. The volume was such that my lovely bride and I were able to have a convetrsation in a normal tone.

She started with a glass of Cab and I had a Bourbon Berry Cocktail. The wine was good the cocktail good and very potent (perfect). We started with the artichoke dip which was excellent maybe the best I've had in a restaurant. The dip was creamy with chunks of artichoke and served at the perfect temp. My wife chose the house salad which was a standard house salad. I opted for the caesar, which was pedestrian at best. The dressing lacked flavor and the greens were doused thoroughly enough that I may have had better luck using a straw rather than a fork.

She had the maple glazed scallops which were large and cooked to perfection. The glaze was outstanding.The one downfall was her plate had chips in three different spots, I had the pork tenderloin which I found to be of so so flavor and extremely dry, (perfect excuse for a second cocktail). Each entree was served with Risoto which was my highlite and a good accompanyment for her. I had an almond brittle sundae for desert it was very good and would be worth a stop in of itself. She had pumpkin cannoli and sung their praise, I did not partake as I was saving room for my third Bourbon Cherry cocktail. Did I mention how good these were. Total bill including wine, app. salads, entrees, dessert, (2) cocktails and tax $94.

The atmosphere, dip, my wife's meal and the Bourbon have enticed us to make a return trip, we'll keep you posted.