“Pleasantly surprised”

Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Sturbridge
New Jersey
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed June 17, 2009

After reading some reviews (although they were a year old or older), I was pleasantly surprised that the hotel was not as bad as it sounded. Basic accommodations, clean and neat. We had a small room with one queen bed. It was comfortable and well kept. The place could use a little updating. The gentlemen who worked at the front desk were pleasant and helpful. We asked for a refrigerator and it was set up and waiting when we arrived. I would not mind staying here again if in the area.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed June 13, 2009

We stayed one night last month at the Motel 6, which was completely full due to the Brimfield Antiques show. It was considerably less expensive than the other motels in the area, which made us a bit nervous about what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised, finding the room to be just fine and extremely clean. Even though we were right at the top of the staircase, and did hear some noise from outside, we got a good night's sleep. It should be noted that there was no breakfast, but with Dunkin Donuts and McDonald's right down the road, this was absolutely no problem. It certainly wasn't a fancy place, but for the money we paid it was well worth it. We will return.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Manchester, New Hampshire
Reviewed January 25, 2009

A few months ago, I gave this place a good review. Now I hope that the fine folks at TripAdvisor will allow me to publish this second one, because I take it all back!

My husband and I stayed at this property this past weekend (January 23-25). This was our third stay, the first two having been fine. We saw no problem with returning.

Well, the troubles started when we checked in, and went to park the car near our room. There have been some serious snowstorms in the area, and we fully expected the parking areas to be properly plowed and sanded. They were not. I have attached two photos that I took with my cell phone, from the doorway of our room.. The second one shows the ONLY semi-clear path from the room to our car, but it is really NOT clear, that black spots on the ground are black ice. Carrying our stuff to and from the car was very treacherous.

The property's web page advertises free WiFi as well as dial-up data ports in all rooms. In my last review, I mentioned that the in-room WiFi does not work. This time, I brought a phone wire to hook up to the data port so I could use dial-up to connect. However, it did not work, the phone didn't even work. I picked it up and there was no dial tone

I was willing to let this slide until my husband tried to turn on the light over the vanity, and it did not turn on. Further investigation showed that the whole circuit did not work, there was an outlet with a hair dryer plugged into it, I tried turning on the hair dryer, and it didn't work, either. I plugged in something that I KNEW worked, and it still didn't work.

So we decided to walk across that skating rink of a parking lot to ask for another room. The woman who had checked us in was there, we think she was one of the owners, asked us why and we told her. However, she refused to give us another room after she asked if we used the bed or anything in the room, and my husband confessed that he had used one of the hand towels. Instead, this very rude woman came to our room to investigate the problem. She somehow got the vanity light to work, how, we don't know. Maybe it was some persnickety thing that only the owner of a place would know, but still, stuff should work and be able to be turned on in the normal way. As for the phone, she unplugged it from the jack on the bottom of the phone, plugged it into the data port, and the phone worked. However, this did not solve the no internet problem, and she refused to address that at all. I tried plugging the phone cord directly into the computer and it still would not let me dial in, even though I had all my settings correct.

We were there so my husband could go to a model railroad show not far away. I did not wish to go to that, so I stayed behind in the room. I wanted to sleep in, and looked for a DO NOT DISTURB door hanger sign, but could not find one. I ended up making my own out of paper and hung it there after he left, but housekeeping ignored it and beat on the door anyway.

It gets better. After my husband returned from his train show, we decided to go out for dinner. We returned a couple of hours later to find that both of our room keys had been de-activated! It was under 20 degrees out! We went to the office to complain, and the same rude woman from the night before was there. She tried to argue that it was somehow OUR fault that the keys didn't work, and acted as if we were inconveniencing her by asking to get into the room that we had already paid for, the one that had our stuff still in it. I almost thought I'd have to call the Sturbridge police in order to force this woman to let us back into the room!

She finally did re-activate the keys, but only one of them worked. Good thing we were leaving the next day.

Housekeeping beat on our door again the next day, long before checkout time, and we weren't dressed and ready yet. If we'd had a DO NOT DISTURB sign, maybe this would not have happened. This was not a problem the last two times we were there.

We could not wait to get out of this place. We will never stay there again because of this experience. We are members of Old Sturbridge Village, which is directly across Route 20 from this place. Every time we visit the museum, we stay over for at least one night. So I guess we will need to find some other place to stay for when the Heritage Motel is closed over the winter season.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rude staff, poor service, stuff not as advertised
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank cmurf

Travelers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

ct
Reviewed October 7, 2007

This motel is the worse place I have ever had contact with, and I travel often. The rooms were disgusting, smelling of must, mildew and more. What was worse than the smell, was the conduct of the General Manager an Arabic man who called himself "Mike" I put that in quotes, as when I asked him about the disgusting rooms, and told him we wanted our money back, he would not give me his last name, so I could work with Expedia on getting a refund. Needless to say, after a phone call and conversation with Expedia, Mike, finally gave his name to the Expedia support service.
After discussing with Mike to go to another building on the property, that room smelled of old stale cigarettes and must.
Mike became very argumentive with us, and it was a horrible experience. Please save yourself the aggravation, and do not stay in this hotel. Again, I have stayed in many hotels from 1 star to 4 stars, and NEVER found one as horrible as this. It amazes me that the State of MA inspectors allows this motel to operate. I will be checking out and investigating further, how they are allowed to operate. That is how strong that I feel that these rooms are not suitable for rental

• Disliked — the rooms and the manager
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with friends
8 Thank janiluppe
Lewiston, Maine
Reviewed October 4, 2007

We chose this hotel for a family vacation for 2 reasons--the price, and it's amenities, mainly the pool. Plus, I am from this area, and it was always known as a nice hotel. We booked 3 nights through the hotel's own website, 2 adults, 2 kids 11 and 13. Kids under 14 were free, according to the site. We arrived in Sturbridge on a very hot day in August, and toured Old Sturbridge Village. All day, we told the kids they could jump in the pool as soon as we got to the hotel, and they were really looking forward to it. Checking in, my husband went into the office, where the man told him that the price we agreed to did not include the kids. Luckily, I had printed out the confirmation that clearly showed the reservation was for 2 adults, 2 kids under 14. The man didn't appear happy, my husband said, and only relented when my husband asked "can you do it at the agreed to price or not?" In the meantime, I looked over at the pool and saw that it was covered with a black cover with weeds growing out of it. While my husband took the girls into the room, I went to the office to ask about the pool. The pool is broken he said, but we could use the pool at their other hotel a mile or two away. Great. We were expected at a family gathering in a bit, and didn't have time to run over to another hotel to use the pool. Kids were extremely disappointed, parents were extremely p.o.'d. As for the room, it was dated, and while fairly clean, smelled not-so-fresh. We bought a can of Lysol at the local CVS to spray around. Mold rimming the ceiling in the bathroom and a broken doorknob on the bathroom door. No ironing board or iron, which the website promised (maybe we could've used one at their other hotel?). We were very sorry, at this point, to have reserved this room, and won't return. Management seemed unconcerned and almost belligerent, and the room skeeved us out. Pity, this used to be a nice hotel.

• Liked — Location was good.
  • Disliked — Pool out of commision, dated, worn room, management was argumentative about our confirmed reservation.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
5 Thank cakeordeath
Massachusetts
Reviewed August 31, 2007

Disgusting musty room with wrong sized bed and horrible service from the check-in till check-out. Don't know how they stay in business.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
5 Thank traveloftennuff
wall
Reviewed June 27, 2007

GREATEST ECONO LODGE I HAVE EVER STAYED AT. My family and I have never stayed at an Econo Lodge as good as this one. My wife and i were wondering why it wasnt a Comfort Inn. They might as well be with thier outstanding service and beautiful room. With the cheap price that we paid for the room...it was worth every penny. I would recomend everyone to stay here.

• Liked — comp wireless internet and excellent service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled on business