“It's a dump!”

Econo Lodge Sturbridge
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Sturbridge
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I don't know what the other rooms were like, but the one I was given was not good. There were tiles missing in the bathroom, it was dirty, the fridge door wouldn't close, the bedspread had cigarette burn holes in it. Not clean at all. I'm really not that picky, but this is a place I would definitely NOT recommend.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank sueb18

Reviewed June 30, 2012

My brother moved to MA and on our first visit we stayed here, it was the closest. The room was under welming. We checked out because we were travelling around the state and didn't want to pay for a room if we didn't make it back. But we made it back for day 2 and got a different room that was worse than day 1. It smelled. Do to it being the only hotel in the area we stayed a 3rd night. At which time they gave us another room which was also smelly and not worth the money. We now stay at a hotel that is some distance from my brother but the rooms are much better. The strange thing is the hotel we stay at now is pet friendly and it smells good compared to this place that does not allow pets and cost more. Smells like mold,meldew,funk!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Room was clean, pet friendly with no weight restriciations. Rooms were some what dated and walls are alittle thin could hear people next door and behind. Its off the road and has nice area to walk the dog. We were heading back to florida and only needed 1 night. Safe place to stay. Price was cheap, had a mini fridge and hairdryer and will stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed here for four nights during September Brimfield Antique Show. I was late making reservations and this was all I could find nearby. The regular rate is $56.99 and the rate for the week of the antique show is $125.99 per night! I realize that all of the hotels raise their rates during this week, but REALLY!!!

It was nasty smelling. I went to Walmart and got Fabreze and I also wiped most surfaces with wet wipes. I removed the ugly smelly bedspreads and left them in the corner all week. That helped, but it was still bad. The toilet would not stop running and there was no light bulb in the desk lamp. Since we left the room very early, before the office was open, I left a note on my pillow asking for light bulb , toilet repair, and extra towel. I got one towel and no light bulb. Toilet still running. . . When I called that night to ask for bulb I was told to check the plug - which made sense because none of the plugs would hold my phone charger in. Finally someone brought a bulb.

I will remember to get reservations somewhere else for next springs Brimfield Show.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2011

I stayed there on my way back from maine to connecticut. The room was clean. The dresser looked dated and was missing a knob and had holes in the top where the tv lockdown device was previously mounted. Had plenty of cable channels. A/c thermostat knob shaft was stripped so a/c only ran at coldest temp full blast and could not adjust. Room was like a refrigerator I payed 39.99 with a coupon they honored. Housekeeping banged on door very early and opened it anyways but i had the deadbolt locked thank god as i was still in my underwear. I saw a Labor Ready pad the maids were using so I think they use temps to clean the rooms. It looked like it was another fancier brand of motel back in its heyday. Pool was not open still covered up.

• Stayed: June 2011
2  Thank Westhavener
Reviewed April 26, 2010

We were returning from Florida, and decided to stay in Sturbrige the night. Since no Holiday Inns were in site (though my GPS showed one that was now a La Quinta...), we decided to check out the Motel 6. Our thoughts were we just want a clean bed to sleep, and it's not that busy, so should be quiet. Were we wrong! When you only have 6 - 7 vehicles of guests staying there, why jam them in the same area of the motel? We had guests next to us and above us, and the paper thin walls made it difficult to relax with both hearing voices, TVs, and later "noises if you know what I mean!". We toughed it out, but in the morning I stated to the man at the office about the noices, the running toilet, etc.. "Oh, so sorry..."

Well, we tried to cheap out that one last night on the road, and it was a mistake that we will not make again...

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank MFTMAINE
Reviewed October 13, 2009

My husband and I stayed here Sunday of Columbus Day weekend. I know it was a holiday weekend, but that is no excuse for what we found.
I had looked up the rates online before checking in and the rate was 65.99 for a room for 2 people. We went to the desk and the gentleman ( who was nice) quoted us a rate of 79.99....we glanced at each other, and my husband suggested we go back up Rt 20 to a Super 8 we had passed. The man immediately changed his rate to "The special for 1 traveler " ... 65.99 .. the online rate for 2 ! We should have gone back to the Super 8!!
I could smell a strong smell of curry in the air at the front desk, and commented "I don't know what's cooking, but it smells good !" The man looked up quickly and said..."Oh, I have a breath mint in my mouth " !!?? I didn't know they came in curry flavor !
The first room we were assigned to was not cleaned yet, at 2:30 in the afternoon. We walked back to the desk, and requested a change which the did do immediately, but were accompanied back by a snotty woman who apparently didn't believe us, because she opened the door which was ajar anyway, and agreed, yes, it hadn't been cleaned. DUH !! It looked like a pigsty when we looked in, LOL.
Anyway, after we had gotten our bags in, we started turning on the lights, as the room was very dark. The dirtiness was everywhere ! Door frames were filthy, mirror was streaky, and there was an actual huge clod of dirt in the middle of the bathroom floor. I used one of the kleenex-like washcloths to clean it up. Needless to say, we never walked barefoot in the room.
The only 3 saving graces were the micro-fridge combination, and the fact that the entrance to OSV is across the street and that The Cedar Street Restaurant was 3 doors down.
I know Motel 6 is a budget motel...but I didn't expect fancy digs, just clean ones.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple