“Okay, for cheap place”

Ranked #2 of 2 Sturbridge B&B and Inns
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Okay, for cheap place”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

It was clean, not updated at all. Bed was okay. If you have a bad back, don't stay here. The staff is very nice.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
ct
Reviewed February 9, 2010

I have been a guest here at least 6 times over the last 10 years staying in many different rooms.I have yet to have a bad experience.This past weekend brought another very relaxing stay.I tried room 7 this time .A different shaped jacuzzi tub in this room but still relaxing.The room was clean as they always have been.They are also very nicely decorated.Humans are creatures of habit.I love going back here time and time again. I have seen this Inn transform from having a restaurant which is now gone, but in its place more rooms for future visits.All the rooms are unique in there own way.The owners have been there for 20 years now and have continued to do whatever it takes to make their guests comfortable.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fenway227
boston ma
Reviewed November 10, 2009

The place is salvation army decorating at it's best. Dorm room furniture is too good for this place. The ceiling panels and were water stained and ugly. We made a huge mistake staying here and what they charged is nuts. The room had a smell and the TV was the size of a kitchen set. I can't think of one thing good to say and I'm trying to. The locations is good, that's it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jamesliedtka

Travelers are raving about these Sturbridge hotels

Upstate NY
Reviewed May 16, 2009

Well, where to begin? A friend and I reserved a room at the Sturbridge Country Inn for the Brimfield antiques fair in May. We are both professional antique dealers, exhibiting at the show. We waited too late to make plans, and the hotel we would usually use was booked.
At the time of reservation, the Inn charged her credit card for one night, stating that was their policy. She inquired about a rollaway bed and other conveniences and was assured they had all amenities.
When we arrived to check in, the man at the desk informed us that it is their policy to charge all fees for all nights at the time of check in. I have never had any hotel do that, ever. But he insisted (and I mean insisted!) We told him that we planned to pay in cash at the time of check-out, but he would not accept that. He kept asking what proof he had that we would do that. We offered to let him imprint our credit cards at that time, but not actually run the charges - and then we could pay him in cash at the end. (And if we skipped town as he seemed sure we were going to do, he could run the charges then.) But he refused to do that, and continued to insist that he had to actually charge the card immediately. I offered to write him a check to cover the entire amount, and he asked me how he would know that the check was good. But he did finally take my check.
One of the best moments of all of this, among him telling us over and over that he has been doing this for 20 years and we didn't know what we were talking about, was when we said we would stay for the one night already paid for and then look for somewhere else, and he claimed that the paid night was not that night but was the last night of the stay. It was surreal. And unfortunately there was nowhere else to stay - believe me, we looked.
So I wrote the check and we resigned ourselves to dealing with this awful, obtuse person, and we moved into our room. They did provide a rollaway bed as requested, and the room was fine. Not better than fine, and not nearly nice enough to justify the price, but fine. Sheets were clean. Bed was comfortable. Furniture and decor was NOT high quality or antique or charming in any way. Jacuzzi tub was bizarrely exposed to both the bedroom and the bathroom, but whatever.
The next day we were up and out early, and at 7am there was no one at the desk and no coffee or food available. That night I tried to avail myself of the wi-fi internet service available (for an additional $9.95/day) but the system would not work. I spoke to the same man at the desk who told me that it was provided by another company and he didn't know much about it. He gave me a support phone number, but they could not make it work either. So I gave up.
The following day, however, my colleague discovered that he had indeed charged her debit card the amount of our stay -- the exact same amount that I had written the check for!! So now he had our money twice! Unbelievable.
And really, I can hardly describe how frustrating and unpleasant this man was to deal with. He truly treated us like criminals, when we were there willing to spend something like $170 per night in his "Inn".
The only conclusion I can come to is that he has a thing against antique dealers and the trade that comes (3 times a year) with the Brimfield antique show. But you know what? That is not my problem, and I cannot believe the way we were treated.
I would not return to that Inn, or recommend anyone else go there, for anything.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
7 Thank travelintandem
Ludlow
Reviewed January 12, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Sturbridge Country Inn in Sturbridge MA on New Year's Eve. We had purchased a package that included a room with a two person hot tub, fireplace and dinner at a neighboring restaurant, The Whistling Swan. Everything about our experience was wonderful. We had a beautiful cozy room, an incredible meal and were treated like we were the most important people who ever had stayed at the inn. On New Year's Day as we were checking out we struck up a conversation with the woman at the front desk, Ceceila. We wondered if it would be possible to check out some of the other rooms (they are all unique and beautiful) in case we had the opportunity to come back. She handed us the keys to the rooms and with a couple of her own recommendations said, "Have fun!"
We loved touring this charming and interesting Inn. We enjoyed it so much we picked one of the rooms that she had suggested and stayed that night as well! We had a suite with a small kitchenette, a two person hot tub in a beautiful sitting room topped off with a room and soul warming fireplace. The bedroom overlooked the front of the inn and the bed was framed with a lovely crocheted curtain. We had the time of our lives!! We truly cannot wait to go back. We can't tell you what the beauty and peacefulness of this inn did for us. All I can say is it was a great way to start the new year!!!!

• Liked — The uniqueness of the rooms!
  • Disliked — That we had to leave!
  • Stayed December 2008
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
CT
Reviewed December 27, 2008

The 1st time we stayed was special!
The 2nd time we stayed was amazing!!
The 3rd time we can only anticipate :) !!!

We love getting away far enough to feel like we are away!
The Inn is close enough to things to do yet private enough if you don't feel like it.

Thanks!!!

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
mass
Reviewed November 29, 2008

When I booked reservations for the inn, I requested the best room they had since it was for our anniversary. They put us in the king loft in the main house. The carpets were stained and musty smelling and the decor looked as if it had not been updated in 30 years.The walls were so thin you could hear other guests talking and water running On the positive side, the bed had clean sheets and was comfortable. Also, by 10pm the inn became very quiet and we got a good night's sleep. The continental breakfast was ok. They had muffins, orange juice, coffee, yogurt, fruit and cereal.

What bothered me the most was the dishonesty. While checking inn, the woman in front of me received a AAA discount. When I arrived at the counter, I presented my AAA card but was told I would not receive the discount since I did not ask about it when I made the reservation. I was told to talk to the manager at check out. When checking out, I inquired about the AAA discount and was told they do not give AAA discounts on weekends. I stated that another guest received one. She brought out a man who then told me that they are not AAA members and do not give the discount at all. I found it odd how the story kept changing.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — musty smell and decor
2 Thank salbanese