“Nobody was there to check us in...never responded”

Sturbridge Country Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Sturbridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 8, 2012

We were going to a concert in Tanglewood and wanted to stay closer to Boston so our morning drive would be shorter before work. I was nervous upon making this reservation because the reviews were mixed. Especially because most of the positive reviews are written by people who have only written one review, and that strikes me as illegitimate. I called (the answering service) to make a reservation and Kevin called me back. I made the reservation the day of. I tried to call back to cancel and I couldn't get ahold of anyone. So, we arrived at the hotel to check in during the allotted time (4-7pm) and no one was there! I called (the answering service) and so one returned my call! We couldn't check in. We waited around the town for about an hour and didn't hear back. I am not the very nervous type, but I did cancel my credit card this morning in fear that this operation is even sketchier than it seems.
Just a weird and unpleasant experience overall. I can't even imagine what the rooms would look like judging by what we could see just from looking in the windows. We ended up Hotwireing a 2star motel a few towns away and it was just fine!

Room Tip: Get a room at a different hotel...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank elwino

Reviewed December 25, 2011

My boyfriend and I have stayed here many times. We keep returning because we love the cozy, hospitable environment. Every room has a gas fireplace and a large hot tub which we love! They have a lovely continental breakfast each morning. It is very centrally located and right next store is a wonderful restaurant for lunch and dinner. We look forward to returning!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 23, 2011

We had a wonderful stay - we will be back! Loved the front corner room - very cozy and quiet and will request it the next time we return. Our last stay was awhile back [few years] - it was our 1st time staying here. We had an enjoyable time - the gas fireplace and hot tub won my wife over !! Only an hour away - but a great hour away for some quiet and relaxing time!

Ed McGee
PS. Great pub next door for good food and meeting the locals!

Room Tip: The innkeep let us look at 4 or 5 rooms before we decided. Since it had been a few years since we ha...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 19, 2011

it feels more like a house but it is very nice. not used to that type of trip but it was very nice. only for a night or too.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My husband and I stayed here for my birthday and got the Romance Package. What a value! Between the massage and dinner, it was like staying for free! The inn was wonderful and the hot tub was heavenly! We were centrally located to everything we wanted to see and can't wait to stay again!

Room Tip: We stayed in the front of the main building and heard no street noise at all.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2011

I made a reservation, read the reviews, and canceled it that same day. The next morning I spent around 2-3 hours calling almost every inn, B&B, or even hotel that had a decent rating in RI, CT, & more. NOTHING! If they had an open room, no young children permitted. Too bad, we had a 4 year old, a 2 year old, and a 6 week old infant. As a last resort, I reserved a room again. I could go on about some of the negative reviews here, but it would take too long. Yes, some areas are worn and need the attention of a skilled handyman. However, it is obvious that some exterior renovations are underway and hopefully the interior will follow. The room was CLEAN!!! And they welcomed our children. My son accidentally pressed the carbon monoxide monitor and set it off. Not knowing if it was faulty, whether he pressed the test button, or whether there was a real danger, I called the owner. He was down ten minutes later with a replacement, even though the lobby was closed for the night. That's service! Weekend breakfast is a buffet of muffins, coffee, juice, bagels, cereal, & fruit. No hot cooked foods and not a lot of variety but staff keeps the table filled. If you leave hungry it's your own fault. Weekday breakfast is very light, we kept ours for a snack and stopped at Annie's Kitchen for a full cooked breakfast. Would I return? Yes. You get what you pay for, and $149 per night for a king bed & a jacuzzi was IMO a good deal. Third night was about half price.

Room Tip: Stayed in front corner room- you'll get some traffic noise but didn't bother us
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed October 12, 2011

My husband and I celebrated our one year anniversary at this wonderful inn. We had a great time. The room was very quaint with a real working fireplace and a corner jacuzzi. We also had a king size bed and a little breakfast area as well. We had so much fun at the Sturbridge Country Inn and it's surroundings that we will definitely come back in the future!

Room Tip: The king size bedroom was great...lots of room even with the corner 2 person jacuzzi.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple