“A great time of Colonial New England for the whole family!”

Old Sturbridge Village
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Sturbridge
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: A recreated New England village, with authentic period buildings, provides vistors with an intimate view of life in the early 1800s.
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We had a great time in the fall weather. The village green with the colorful trees were breathtaking. The Grist Mill was an amazing way to grind wheat. My husband was taken by the water fed saw mill. The kids enjoyed the three person outhouse. It was a wonderful memory.

1  Thank danbarbdjsc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,269)
All reviews
in 29 reviews
"learn something"
in 20 reviews

Reviewed October 22, 2010

I've been bringing my family to Old Sturbridge Village for years. Just enjoyed a beautiful autumn day there with my teen daughter and it was wonderful. There is something to learn at every turn - every building and homestead.....a great way to experience life in the 1800's. Staff is very kind and engaging. There is something here for everyone.

Reviewed October 21, 2010

We went twice to the site, using the facility of a second free visit within ten days to pay a second shorter visit at the weekend. From the two visits it seems that there are more activities and demonstrators at the weekend than on a weekday which may influence others planning a visit. Most of the "village" is of properties moved from elsewhere, together with one or two reproductions. The interiors and "life" is intended to to be the 1830s. We have visited other re-created sites and this is a good one. The people are happy to talk about what they are portraying and about life in general in the 1830s - most seem extremely well-informed.

2  Thank CheresX
Reviewed October 21, 2010

a place where you could spend the whole day and it would be also very interesting for children

See more reviews
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I am by no means a history buff and wasn't really excited about this day trip. The last time I had been to Old Sturbridge Village I was on elementary school field trip. When a friend suggested we go and take kids ranging in age from 4 months to 6 years old I was a bit hesitant. I'm happy to report that we have a WONDERFUL time!

At nearly 200 acres it's one of the largest living history museums. It's based on New England life between 1780-1840. It's a beautiful place to explore. The website does not do it justice (www.osv.org). There's a mix of historical artifacts and reproductions. There was even a house that was a complete reproduction that the kids could play with everything including cleaning and laying on the rope bed.

I believe the website says the average visit is 3-5 hours. But if the weather is agreeable I would plan to stay all day. We arrived at 11am and left at closing time which is 5pm. We didn't even see half of the park. However, toy can return for a second day for free within 10 days of the first visit. We're going to be taking advantage of that!