“Best B&B We Have Stayed At!”
Review of Amerscot House Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stow
Amerscot House Inn
Ranked #1 of 3 Stow B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“Best B&B We Have Stayed At!”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Simply an excellent place that we would recommend to anyone and everyone. The house and grounds are beautiful and Viki's cooking is out of this world (especially the scones!).

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Reviewed August 16, 2010

What a pleasant time. Our room was spacious and comfortable, the amenities were bountiful, and the breakfasts were heavenly. Such gracious and friendly hosts. If we don't make it back soon, we highly recommend this to anyone traveling near Concord, MA.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 15, 2010

I cannot think of enough superlatives to describe this inn! We always stay at inns and B&Bs when we travel, so I feel that we are a good judge of which inns/B&Bs are exceptional in all respects. Amerscot House Inn is a beautifully restored historical property in Stow, MA, which is a community perfectly situated for those wanting to explore Lexington and Concord, MA.

The Carters have thought of every possible creature comfort and then some...There is a refrigerator filled with beverages (including beer and wine) for guests and wonderful snacks, as well. Guests have access to a computer and printer to check email, find information about nearby atrractions, make reservations, print boarding passes, etc. There is a common room filled with magazines, books, games, and DVDs...all for guests' use. The rooms are filled with lovely furnishings and thoughtful touches such as flat screen TV with DVD player, alarm clock with IPOD docking station, cushy robes, heavenly soaps and lotions, and the most comfortable beds you will ever sleep on! The sheets are of the highest quality (and freshly ironed by the innkeeper), and the mattresses feel like clouds...

You willl not find a more special breakfast anywhere. There is a buffet of fruit, yogurt, cereals, breads, juices etc as the first course. As you are happily consuming this first course, Vicki and Andy (innkeepers) are busily preparing a "cooked to order", gourmet, main course, which each guest selects from a daily menu. The waffles melt in your mouth...I've never tasted better!

My husband and I were traveling with my 15 year-old son. Our room (The Gibson Room) was large enough to easily accommodate a cot for him. His bed was made up with the same heavenly, hand-ironed sheets that covered our bed, which was impressive. He felt like a welcome guest, instead of an "extra" in the inn.

Be sure to have Vicki and Andy give you a history of the inn, information about the wealth of family antiques that surround you, and the details about their restoration and renovation efforts. Fascinating!

Our stay with the Carters at Amerscot House Inn was one of the highlights of our recent trip to New England. My 15 year-old did not want to leave.this peaceful, historic place...and that says it all!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank EPFP
West Sand Lake, NY
Reviewed July 12, 2010

My wife & I were lucky enough to spend one fabulous night at the Amerscot House. We have never been to a B&B that catered so much to their guests. Every imaginable amenity was supplied. Vicki and Andy are delightful hosts and treated us like old friends. The house & the grounds are beautiful, and offer a rich and detailed history. We look forward to the time our travels take us back to the area so we can stay there again.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 11, 2010

We stayed in the Gibson Room at Amerscot House for Mother's Day weekend and enjoyed one of the best nights sleep we've had in a long time. The beds are luxurious and its very hard not to stay in them all day! The home is beautifully presented and immaculate with great attention to detail. Viki's homemade waffles were absolutely amazing. We highly highly recommend Amerscot House Inn and cant wait to return there ourselves.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 25, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Amerscot House Inn for Valentine’s Day. We made a last-minute decision that we wanted to go someplace with a hot tub suite, and it also needed to be close enough to home that we could return to let our dog out a few times since his kennel was full. We frantically scoured the internet on 2/13 and were thrilled to discover the Amerscot, which seemed to have what we were looking for, and at incredibly reasonable rates. We were even more thrilled to learn that the Conant Suite was available for the night of Valentine’s Day!

The Amerscot property made a great first impression. Although the house is located on a somewhat well-traveled road (though by no means a highway), it’s set back a bit on several acres of grounds surrounded by lovely stone walls. Many mature trees and cozy benches dot the property, and it was evident that there are numerous gardens blooming around the yard in warmer weather. The home’s exterior is that of an exceptionally well-maintained, classic New England colonial. We entered the house into a collection of common rooms, all of which had been recently restored to combine colonial authenticity with modern conveniences.

One of the best aspects of the Amerscot was the wonderfully professional way in which it was managed. We were greeted by owners Viki and Andy and introduced to the common areas and general policies. These are people who have thought of everything you could possibly imagine. It’s hard to believe they’ve only been doing this for two years! The lounge area is stocked with a single-serve K-cup coffee machine, tea, sodas (including higher-end specialty options like Izze sparkling pomegranate juice), cookies, crackers, fruit, and even beer and wine; everything is included in the room rate. A computer and printer are available for guest use, and the parlor (with a lovely functional fireplace) is filled with newspapers, books, and DVDs. A buzzer is located in the common area in case a guest needs to reach the owners in their separate living quarters at the back of the house.

Viki showed us to the giant, sunny, tastefully-decorated Conant Suite, which was located up a creaky old staircase. (Those with mobility issues may not want to book this suite.) We entered into the charming bedroom with a queen-sized bed, antique dresser, sitting area, and even an iPod docking station (it did also work with my iPhone). Behind this was the sitting room with a cozy couch, writing desk (complete with pre-stamped Amerscot postcards!), information about the area, a thorough overview of the property, and a flat-screen TV/DVD combo. The latter included a very comprehensive array of cable channels, though I must admit we never turned it on. The third and final room in the Conant Suite was the large bathroom, complete with a Jacuzzi (I’m not sure if it was officially a two-person Jacuzzi, but it easily fit two people) and separate shower that provided plenty of hot water and water pressure.

Attention to detail was evident throughout the suite. There was a box of chocolates from the local Colonial Candies shop in the bedroom, and the bathroom was incredibly well-stocked with Gilchrest & Soames toiletries, right down to bath salts and a small loofah for the hot tub. Cozy robes were provided, as were an array of oversized, luxurious towels. Of note, the fireplaces in the suite are merely decorative; guests need to go downstairs to the common living room to enjoy a fire. Although there was one other couple staying at the B&B while we were there, they seemed to be located in a room in a different part of the house rather than in the room directly across from the Conant Suite at the top of the stairs. I therefore can’t comment too much on sound insulation; we never heard any noise from the common areas or elsewhere, but I could hear my husband walking up the creaky stairs on one occasion when he left the room without me, so I’m not sure what the sound situation is like when the house is busier. I should also mention that although I had been concerned that a property of this age might offer limited temperature control in the individual suites, we discovered that each of the three rooms within our suite actually had its own adjustable thermostat!

Viki showed us around our suite and offered us glasses of champagne to kick off Valentine’s Day. I’m not sure if it’s standard practice or if it was simply a holiday treat, but there were chocolate-covered strawberries, roses, and a handwritten Happy Valentine’s Day card waiting for us on the sitting room coffee table. Viki made it known that she was available for anything we needed but then quickly slipped away to give us our privacy.

The unobtrusive nature of our hosts continued the next morning at breakfast. Dining times are at the discretion of guests, and we had indicated the night before that we would come down for breakfast around 9. There is a large dining room table that could accommodate a big group, but the home also has smaller tables in the lounge area, in the sunny conservatory, and outside on a screened porch (for warmer weather). My husband and I loved this set-up, as we prefer to enjoy our own romantic time together rather than being forced to make small-talk with strangers while we eat! When we arrived for breakfast, we were greeted with professional-looking full-color menus that had been printed for that morning, complete with an area weather forecast, and a sideboard covered with choices such as fruits, yogurt, and granola. We made our way to the table in the lounge, where we had a great view of the yard and the birds enjoying the feeder right outside the window.

Breakfast was outstanding and began with high-quality coffee served in a French press. Both my husband and I chose made-to-order omelets, but there were lots of other appealing options as well. I told myself I was saving the homemade waffles for our next visit! Everything was fresh and very tasty, and I can’t even begin to imagine what magic Viki works with local produce when it’s harvest season. Because I live in the area, I frequent the many farmstands in close proximity to the Amerscot, and I can attest firsthand as to the incredible quality of the fruits and vegetables they offer.

Overall, we enjoyed an outstanding stay at the Amerscot. If I had to choose the most impressive part about our visit, it would absolutely be the value. It’s still incredible to me how little we paid for everything we got. I would highly recommend this property (and the Conant Suite in particular) to anyone from outside the area looking for an authentic New England experience as well as to any locals like myself who are seeking a quick romantic escape. We loved the cozy nature of the home on a cold winter’s day, but I’m sure it’s an even more wonderful experience in other seasons when the grounds are in bloom and breakfast made with fresh local produce can be served on the screened porch. Fortunately, the Amerscot has a very extensive website that can give potential visitors further details (I’ve rambled on enough here already), but only visiting in person can truly capture the charm of this B&B.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EricaLynn
queens
Reviewed December 31, 2009

All of the previous reviews are right on! We just got back from a three night stay and could not have had a better time. We stayed in the suite, complete with a jacuzzi and a bathroom so big we could have thrown a party inside. All of the amenities--in room TV, DVD, robes, huge towels, toiletries, chocolates, super comfy bed with huge comforter. But of course, it was Vicki's personal touches including the delicious made to order breakfasts that make this inn the place to stay if you are planning a trip to Concord, Lexington and the area. There is even a computer with internet access on hand for guests to use. The inn is typical New England complete with candles in the window (not the real kind)--tastefully decorated but not ornate and over the top. Our room had a four poster, queen sized bed and a sitting room with flat screen tv-DVD. She has a huge library to borrow movies and even has Scrabble and Trivial Pursuit on hand. We were there X-mas time and there was a beautiful tree adorning the living area (that had a working fireplace) and there was a tree in a separate enclosed sitting area. Vicki was great with recommending local eateries (we loved the Mexican place--Sierras) and just so incredibly sweet. Of course, there were plenty of snacks left for guests at all times (including homemade cookies). This inn deserves all the previous accolades. (Another recommendation if you are heading here is to make sure you see the Orchard House--Louisa May Alcott's former home, Henry David Thoreau's Walden Pond and the Concord Museum, in nearby Concord, MA). Thanks, Vicki for making our 2009 holiday break so special and memorable.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stow
Concord's Colonial Inn
Concord's Colonial Inn
#2 of 3 in Concord
Best Western at Historic Concord
Holiday Inn Boxborough (I-495 Exit 28)
Residence Inn by Marriott Boston Concord
The Inn at Hastings Park
The Inn at Hastings Park
#1 of 4 in Lexington
Westford Regency Inn
Westford Regency Inn
#3 of 3 in Westford

Been to Amerscot House Inn? Share your experiences!