“Review of the Stevens House section”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Reviewed August 15, 2010

We were so happy to be in the Stevens house section because when we walked into the main building to check in our spirits dropped. If you like old and tired, you'll love the main building. On the other hand the Stevens building feels fresh, quiet and. Clean

Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for The Red Lion Inn

Reviewed August 13, 2010

To be fair, we did book the lowest rate in the hotel. We did expect to walk down the hall to the bathroom but there are only two per floor to serve what looks like 20+rooms. The beds are doubles, not queens. I tend to move when I sleep and the bed frame queaked so much that it woke me up every time.

We went down to the pub about 9 for a bite to eat and were faced with the rudest service. Since we were only two we were told that we needed to sit at a two top right in front of the band. We sat at a small 4 top near the back we were then told that we would need to move mid meal if theater goers showed up and needed our table. I would tend to think that the peep spending money to stay at your hotel would be given a chance to sit where they
like.

The final issue we have is that the breakfast is a joke. This is in no way a B&B type breakfast. Coffee juice and a muffin or toast?

It's the only place to stay in stock bridge and I think they would benefit from some competition. We did like the look of the place and if it was only a little friendlier and welcoming we would have had a better feeling. My suggestion to friends is to stop in for lunch some day but move on and save your money to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PaulRice
Reviewed July 19, 2010

Like going back in time. Dining room and meals are excellent. Ambience of the Inn is so worth the visit; like a museum in time. Late night performances in the Pub as well. Rooms are beautifully decorated; staff is outstanding, friendly, and very helpful. Veranda rocking chairs is a must to experience. Only negative, is traffic on Main Road; not bad for one night experience, though.
Perfect for a one night stay. Would go again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2010

my friends arranged for us to stay at the firehouse which was superb. huge bathroom and four poster bed with sitting area upstairs and kitchen, large dining table and comfortable seating arrangements downstairs. beautifully furnished with antiques and rockwell prints. excellent service/staff. those who appreciate the charm, elegance, and leisure of a bygone era and the historical significance spanning over 200 years will really enjoy the red lion inn.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We stay at the Red Lion every 4th of July weekend. We rent one of the private houses with a livingroom, full kitchen and a deck. WE LOVE IT. We love to cook some meals at the house and go out for some. We enjoy everything the Berskshires has to offer and the James Taylot concert every year is one of our favorite things to do.

The Red Lion has always been very freindly and accomidating with whatever we need. We like the charm. The pool was a very nice addition a few years back that we take advantage of. The food is always very good as well. Im glad that the wireless internet was put in as well because no one in my family can get a cell phone signal to save our lives out there!

The best part is Mary the women that does the massages. She is the best! Literally the best massage that I have ever had, and I have been to some of the best spas in NYC, Vegas, Mexico and New England... Mary is amazing!

We will continue our family tradition of staying there every 4th!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 19, 2010

While our stay took place in the off-season, we found a busy, organized hotel and a staff that was professional and accommodating. I cannot speak to the rest of the rooms, but we were able to change the room we were given (beware the king room in the back corridor on the first floor if you don't care for traffic noise) and were given an opportunity to inspect both a suite and a standard room (both of which were in separate houses across the parking lot from the main building. Both were lovely, but we splurged and upgraded to the suite. The suite included a sitting room, bedroom, bathroom and dressing room. It was the clawfoot tub that sold me!
Having read some of these reviews prior to our stay, I was a little bit leery of the separate buildings aspect of the hotel, but the parking lot as described is merely a series of gravelled courtyards that connect the individual guesthouses that are owned by the hotel. I was fascinated one morning by a hotel staffer who carried a room service tray out the front door onto the front porch of the main building, down the steps, across the street and disappeared up the next block. As it turns out, there are also a few other houses around town that serve as Red Lion guest houses.
As the point of our stay was to tour around the area, visit landmarks, taste wine and drink coffee on the Inn porch, it was not necessary to have the best room in the house, but, that said, I have been in new hotels that were not as clean as this room. The paint was fresh, the plumbing was well maintained and the floors were spotless. Housekeeping was only slightly uneven the first day, but our concerns were quickly addressed.
I could go on, but I will sum up by saying we were very, very comfortable in the hotel. The food was well prepared - our compliments to the chef, the service was friendly and relaxed. I credit the relaxed part to the off-season timing of our stay, but the Inn did not appear "sleepy" in the least. There was constant traffic in and out of the front door with people congregated on the porch and inside in the parlors most of the day.
Yes, cell service was non-existent until we got out of town, but the wireless internet worked just fine. All in all we would stay again and I have already recommended the Inn to friends and family.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 17, 2010

Normally I don't like to argue with anyone over things of a subjective nature, and this review can stand on its own, not just in the Red Lion Inn's defense against the "Shabby Chic, or Just Plain Shabby?" review of May 8, 2010.

But I've got to say, Negative Reviewer, you must have been to a different Red Lion Inn than I go to! When I go, the staff is welcoming and courteous and cordial, not to mention professional and just plain kind. The amenities are first rate. The antiques in the rooms (and I've stayed in several different rooms) are homey and they work and they're beautifully made. You can use your cell phone quite well, most of the time, if you'll just step outside and make your calls from the back of the main building. If you must use your cell phone all the time -- be in constant contact with the outside world every single minute of every single day -- then perhaps you should just stay home. Something to consider anyway. Ditto for the Internet; what did you do before you could check your e-mail and text messages and cell phone calls every foggy minute? It's OK (say it with me...) to be out of touch every now and then!

The Red Lion Inn is a gem. It's warm, inviting, charming, romantic, and therapy for the senses. Chef Brian Alberg's food is first rate, and he uses local growers' products. The lobby fireplace is the most wonderful fireplace you could imagine. The staff is friendly and helpful. The rooms are charming and tastefully appointed. The building is old, yes, and has that old charm so many of us crave and need, without being in the least bit rickety. The inn's in-house cat, Simon, is a treat! He is handsome, clean, smart, large, and sleek -- even downright affectionate when he wants to be -- and if you don't like cats, I'd advise you to just find another hotel to stay in. The Inn is close to all kinds of amazing things to do -- shopping, the Normal Rockwell Museum, and several historic homes among those things.

The Red Lion Inn is unlike anyplace else in the world! I look forward to my annual trip there with great relish; I know I'll be treated well and treated like a fellow human being. I know I'll find so many things that bring me joy.

I cannot imagine I'd ever have anything less than a stellar, fun, pleasant time at my favorite hotel in the world, the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, Mass.

• Stayed: February 2010
3  Thank Schmuzz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#4 of 16 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!