“An interesting experiance!!”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Reviewed January 12, 2010

On arrival we were given a very small room on the first floor with a minute bathroom, we couldn't even get our bags in from the car.no chairs to sit on and an enormous four-poster bed took up all the floor space. The reception staff said the hotel was full I was not happy..
With no-ware to sit we went downstairs and had a seat by the fire and spent an evening chatting to fellow guests whilst waiting for our dinner table. The cat was much in evidence and I realised why,it was chasing a mouse around the various rooms until the mouse disappeared under the velvet curtain into the dining room at which point the cat gave up and sat by the fire.
I hate mice and was not very happy to spend my meal in ones company so we went out to find somewhere else to eat.We slept badly and were woken throughout the night by traffic on the junction outside our window.
The following morning I complained and a very nice young man was very helpful he offered us a suite at no extra cost we had paid for the stay through Trailfinders we accepted this and moved into a very spacious set of room's with its own porch.
We ate in the dining room on the remaining three evenings although I did keep my eye out for Micky!! As I remember the food was OK but I did panic a bit when one group put there bags of leftovers on the floor and hope they didn't have an extra guest when they got home.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed January 4, 2010

I've been going to the Red Lion for the past four years between Christmas and New Year's. Steeped in tradition, I stay at the Red Lion because the service is that good and there is tons of character to be found in the creaks and groans that come with an older building. My room, though, on a brisk (temperatures in the single digits) day and evening had a chill that the electric heat couldn't quite keep up with until I pulled the shade and let the heat run and run. One window had a tiny corner missing in the pane and the other needs fresh putty to hold it back in the frame. The television would be enjoyed more if it were on a higher piece of furniture. Still, the bathroom is enormous and the claw tub with shower (and my what water pressure!) were wonderful. Too bad the days of civility are but a distant memory for some who insist upon talking loudly in their rooms or catching up with family using cell phones in speaker mode and are so loud I could hear the entire conversation. Yes, cell coverage seems to be improving but I go to Stockbridge to disconnect and not bring every last bit of home with me. I rated the "value" at "poor" because $235 a night is steep but I'm worth it but think some much needed maintenance is in order.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I've been to the Red Lion many times with my wife,it's the only place she will stay.Yet sometimes when I can get away and she can't I go to the Inn by myself and stay in one of there B+B rooms with a shared bath.The staff is great and the service ...fantastic.If I could improve anything maybe add cable .We go for the history of Stockbridge and the area,Lenox ,Lee, last time I made it up to Mt.Greylack.Even when I'm by myself while staying at the Inn I feel like I'm with friends

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank Kimmbo
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I retreated to Stockbridge for a few days in January 2008 just to get away from the big city. There's little going on in Stockbridge in January (I hear it's more interesting in the summer), but this hotel completely made up for it. And really, is there another place worth staying in in this town? Of course not. I spent hours wandering around from floor to floor; I took a novel I'd brought with me and tried to read portions of it on as many different fabulous old couches as possible. It was fantastic. Look out for some of the more charming quirks, like the glass-paned cupboard with hundreds of miniature chairs inside!

All the standard stuff here was fine - cleanliness, friendly service, low noise level, et cetera. There's even a turn-down service in the evening (I'd never even heard of such a thing before staying here). The point is that the Red Lion Inn is an essential part of the Stockbridge experience - don't miss out.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank seyahateden
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Inn celebrating our anniversary. We live in WNY and decided to drive to Stockbridge via Rt. 20 from our town all the way to the Inn. Beautiful drive thru all the small towns & villages & the Finger Lakes. The Inn wonderful. The food was delicious - I was shocked to read another persons review saying that the food was bad. Our meal in the dining room couldn't have been lovelier and an afternoon lunch outback under w/ wine was perfect! We went down to the pub each evening for a night cap and we enjoyed that also. If you in "charm" as we do. You will love The Red Lion Inn.
Simon, the cat, is a perfect feline host - he joined us one evening in the parlor. Can't wait for a return visit.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank QuicheAlden_NY
BruceRLI, Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2009

We're so please you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your review. Please visit Simon on his Facebook page, and come back soon!

Reviewed October 21, 2009

Uneven floors, tiny bathroom, boards that squeak - all part of the charm. This was one of the highligts of our trip to the Berkshires. Although there were four of us and our room had the two double beds it was sufficient and quite cosy. Staff are efficient and friendly with the gift shop at the front of the Hotel containing a good range of local items. The Hotel has a wonderful atmosphere echoing its considerable age. Sitting around the fire in the evening lingering with a pre-dinner glass of wine was one of the delights we experienced. The restaurants are both qute acceptable with a good range of dishes on the menu including local produce.
Overall a very comfortable and memorable stay in this beautiful location.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Snorlaxxl
BruceRLI, manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2009

You get it! Thanks so much for your feedback! We're proud of our creaky floors, rattling doorknobs and quirkiness. Thanks so much for your review and your appreciation of realistic experiences that are not from a "cookie-cutter".

Reviewed October 16, 2009

We spent two evenings in one of their guest houses, the Holden Suite in the Stafford House. This comfortabley sized, not huge but not small, two room suite has a bathroom on either end of the rooms. "No lines, no waiting" as the front desk attendant said when we arrived. One has a great claw foot tub while the other has a wonderful glass shower with two fantastic showerheads. There was a nice sized refrigerator, ideal for storing snacks and drinks. The first room has a small desk, a arm chair, and a day bed. This worked great for our three year old who had just begun sleeping in a twin bed. The bedroom had a very "tall" queen bed with a really warm down comforter and triple sheeting. A small closet in this room had four extra pillows and two nice robes. An antique or period dresser and table, plus two night stands filled the room. The room also had a TV/VCR and DVD player on a rolling cart which could be moved between the two rooms. It also appears that this building has central air, while most of the main inn appears to have individual units in each room and public areas.

The Inn itself is very welcoming and was very active during the day. Dining is the main activity and there are nice choices. We had breakfast in the Dining room twice. The first morning, our server was pretty rushed, although she was friendly and accomodating. She was our server the next morning and remembered us from the morning before. She was having a better day this time. The food both days was excellent. Our daughter had blueberry pancakes each day and they were outstanding. Omelets and French Toast were our meals. We were out and about for lunch so can not comment on the Inn for that. I have no doubt that the choices would be outstanding. We also went elsewhere for dinner the second evening. The first evening, an unexpected early bed time for our daughter forced us to remain in the room for the evening. I do believe the Inn can help arrange a baby sitter, but we did not ask. I went down to the Lion's Den and got a few sandwiches and salads to go, We then borrowed a DVD from the Front Desk and relaxed in our half of the room. Warning, the Inn, and its guest houses, is a historic property and sound travels easily. The suite next to us arrived as we were eating and we could hear the family and their children failry clearly until they settled in for the evening. This is part of the charm of historic properties and we were prepared for it. All and all a lovely inn. We hope to return again one day, perhaps in warmer weather sans child.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#4 of 15 in Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Barrington Lenox/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Bar...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
4 mi away
LakeHouse Inn
LakeHouse Inn
#1 of 9 in Lee
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!