“Heaven and History all rolled into One”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Waldorf,Maryland
“Heaven and History all rolled into One”
Reviewed December 20, 2009

I've been to the Red Lion many times with my wife,it's the only place she will stay.Yet sometimes when I can get away and she can't I go to the Inn by myself and stay in one of there B+B rooms with a shared bath.The staff is great and the service ...fantastic.If I could improve anything maybe add cable .We go for the history of Stockbridge and the area,Lenox ,Lee, last time I made it up to Mt.Greylack.Even when I'm by myself while staying at the Inn I feel like I'm with friends

• Stayed October 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank Kimmbo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
massachusetts
Reviewed December 14, 2009

I retreated to Stockbridge for a few days in January 2008 just to get away from the big city. There's little going on in Stockbridge in January (I hear it's more interesting in the summer), but this hotel completely made up for it. And really, is there another place worth staying in in this town? Of course not. I spent hours wandering around from floor to floor; I took a novel I'd brought with me and tried to read portions of it on as many different fabulous old couches as possible. It was fantastic. Look out for some of the more charming quirks, like the glass-paned cupboard with hundreds of miniature chairs inside!

All the standard stuff here was fine - cleanliness, friendly service, low noise level, et cetera. There's even a turn-down service in the evening (I'd never even heard of such a thing before staying here). The point is that the Red Lion Inn is an essential part of the Stockbridge experience - don't miss out.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled solo
1 Thank seyahateden
Alden, NY
Reviewed October 27, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Inn celebrating our anniversary. We live in WNY and decided to drive to Stockbridge via Rt. 20 from our town all the way to the Inn. Beautiful drive thru all the small towns & villages & the Finger Lakes. The Inn wonderful. The food was delicious - I was shocked to read another persons review saying that the food was bad. Our meal in the dining room couldn't have been lovelier and an afternoon lunch outback under w/ wine was perfect! We went down to the pub each evening for a night cap and we enjoyed that also. If you in "charm" as we do. You will love The Red Lion Inn.
Simon, the cat, is a perfect feline host - he joined us one evening in the parlor. Can't wait for a return visit.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank QuicheAlden_NY
BruceRLI, Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, October 31, 2009
We're so please you enjoyed your stay and thank you for your review. Please visit Simon on his Facebook page, and come back soon!
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2009

Uneven floors, tiny bathroom, boards that squeak - all part of the charm. This was one of the highligts of our trip to the Berkshires. Although there were four of us and our room had the two double beds it was sufficient and quite cosy. Staff are efficient and friendly with the gift shop at the front of the Hotel containing a good range of local items. The Hotel has a wonderful atmosphere echoing its considerable age. Sitting around the fire in the evening lingering with a pre-dinner glass of wine was one of the delights we experienced. The restaurants are both qute acceptable with a good range of dishes on the menu including local produce.
Overall a very comfortable and memorable stay in this beautiful location.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank Snorlaxxl
BruceRLI, manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, October 22, 2009
You get it! Thanks so much for your feedback! We're proud of our creaky floors, rattling doorknobs and quirkiness. Thanks so much for your review and your appreciation of realistic experiences that are not from a "cookie-cutter".
New York
Reviewed October 16, 2009

We spent two evenings in one of their guest houses, the Holden Suite in the Stafford House. This comfortabley sized, not huge but not small, two room suite has a bathroom on either end of the rooms. "No lines, no waiting" as the front desk attendant said when we arrived. One has a great claw foot tub while the other has a wonderful glass shower with two fantastic showerheads. There was a nice sized refrigerator, ideal for storing snacks and drinks. The first room has a small desk, a arm chair, and a day bed. This worked great for our three year old who had just begun sleeping in a twin bed. The bedroom had a very "tall" queen bed with a really warm down comforter and triple sheeting. A small closet in this room had four extra pillows and two nice robes. An antique or period dresser and table, plus two night stands filled the room. The room also had a TV/VCR and DVD player on a rolling cart which could be moved between the two rooms. It also appears that this building has central air, while most of the main inn appears to have individual units in each room and public areas.

The Inn itself is very welcoming and was very active during the day. Dining is the main activity and there are nice choices. We had breakfast in the Dining room twice. The first morning, our server was pretty rushed, although she was friendly and accomodating. She was our server the next morning and remembered us from the morning before. She was having a better day this time. The food both days was excellent. Our daughter had blueberry pancakes each day and they were outstanding. Omelets and French Toast were our meals. We were out and about for lunch so can not comment on the Inn for that. I have no doubt that the choices would be outstanding. We also went elsewhere for dinner the second evening. The first evening, an unexpected early bed time for our daughter forced us to remain in the room for the evening. I do believe the Inn can help arrange a baby sitter, but we did not ask. I went down to the Lion's Den and got a few sandwiches and salads to go, We then borrowed a DVD from the Front Desk and relaxed in our half of the room. Warning, the Inn, and its guest houses, is a historic property and sound travels easily. The suite next to us arrived as we were eating and we could hear the family and their children failry clearly until they settled in for the evening. This is part of the charm of historic properties and we were prepared for it. All and all a lovely inn. We hope to return again one day, perhaps in warmer weather sans child.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed October 10, 2009

I traveled to the Red Lion Inn with my 85 y.o. father and 2 adult sisters. We were shocked to find out upon check-in that the entire hotel complex has ZERO cell service at all!!!! We felt that we should have been warned about this. Yes...we were on vacation....but we consider cell service a necessity when traveling with an 85 year old person in order to keep communication lines open.

We checked in late our first night so decided to eat in the hotel restaurant, although very expensive. The food was HORRIBLE!! Three out of four of us did not find our meals edible. One of my sisters had the chef make a custom vegetarian plate and she thought her food was good. The waiter quietly told me that many people complain about the food but that nothing is done about it. I guess because it's an historic hotel....they just get away with it because the many first-timers don't know any better. While we planned to eat many meals there....we ate no more meals in the restaurant.

The front porch was nice to sit....but hard to get 'service' for a drink. The rooms were very old but decent with a decent bathroom.....no counter space at all.

Another huge downside....the elevator is a manual elevator that requires the front desk person to leave their post to work the elevator....and there were times that we waited 20 minutes or more..... Again....a warning would have been nice since 85 y.o. dad was on the upper floor!

Their promos say that the 'club' is open with live music 7 nights a week. We arrived on a Monday to find karaoke. Is that LIVE MUSIC?? Again....a warning or accuracy would have been needed here as that was our night for live music in our agenda....

I would NOT return to this hotel.....it was too expensive and too old and lacking in good service. If the service was great....I don't mind the price....but not for what they offer....

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Varda C
BruceRLI, Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, October 13, 2009
We always feel badly when we don't live up to our first time guests' expectations as was obvious in this case. As for cell service - while that is not something in our control, there are many, many places in the area where cell service is spotty at best. It has something to do with all the beautiful mountains laden with splendid fall foliage that surround us. Most of our guests feel that the trade off is worth it.

Horrible food is a shocker - while we realize we can't appeal to every palate, it's been a long time since I've heard of a case where 3 out of 4 meals were "horrible", and I certainly take exception to a waiter commenting that "nothing is done about it" as well as the "first timers don't know any better" comment. We pride ourselves on our long-standing reputation for high-quality food and service, as well as our flexibility in accommodating special dietary needs, which was done in the case of the custom vegetarian plate mentioned, even though there were 3 other vegetarian entree choices on the menu. Do issues crop up from time to time where diners do not enjoy what they ordered? Of course - we're the first to admit it and always do our best to correct the problem. I can't get more specific that that on this review, as the guests stayed three months ago.

I do apologize that the second (automatic) elevator in the back part of the building was not brought to your attention during your stay, and you thought the only elevator was our original antique, manually operated, turn-of-the-century prize in the front lobby.

There is complimentary, live entertainment in the Lion's Den 7 nights a week. Normally a band or singer, and on Mondays we were running Guitar Hero nights, which I'm sorry you were disappointed in.

We're so sorry that we did not live up to your expectations, and if you would contact me directly at the Inn, I'd love to try and make things up to you.
Worthing,W.Sussex,UK
Reviewed October 1, 2009

This is a beautiful old hotel in a lovely little town. The room was comfortable and the bathroom clean if quirky, with a roll top bath. The restaurant was excellent and The Lions Den serves great food with live music as well. Thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#3 of 9 in Lee
Blantyre
Blantyre
#5 of 16 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!