“Haunted Hotel?”

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
New York, NY
Reviewed August 25, 2005

I only wish I read trip advisor before checking into the Red Lion Inn! In August of 2005 I was staying there on a business trip. By chance--out of 21 people in our group, I was given Room 301--a room that another patron had written about on this site almost a year to the day prior!! In the middle of the night, on 3 different occasions, I woke up feeling my toes being tugged on, and someone scratching my hand. I also felt as if someone or something was under the covers with me at one point. Then at 9am in the morning, I woke up when I heard the maid knocking at the door. She opened the room with the key, walked in, and headed for the bathroom. I heard the footsteps come out of the bathroom and stop by the bed. Then suddenly it felt as though someone was "fluffing up" the comforter, as if trying to make the bed on the left hand side. As hard as I tried, I could not move and I could not speak. When I looked up I realized that I was in the room alone. No one had been there! There is much more to this story, but there is too much detail to write it all here. Let's just say it was one of the most unusual and scary experiences in my life. When I got home, I did some more research on the Red Lion Inn. I discovered that on August 31, 1896, the property was destroyed in a fire. My visit was in August of 2005....the other patron who wrote a similar review on this site dated it August of 2004--and they were also checked into room 301! If you ask me--that's more than just a coincidence. I would LOVE to hear from anyone else who has a similar story!! If you do--please write it here.

• Stayed: August 2005, traveled on business
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed July 27, 2005

The porch is charming, though very buggy on a summer night. We like the location, prefering not to be in the middle of nowhere. The lobby or the porch are nice to relax in, though they get crowded with people who are not staying at the Inn. There is a dress code for the main dining room (no jeans or sneakers) so we were not allowed in even for the late dessert we wanted. We have stayed here twice and both times the room was quite small, but I did notice during the afternoon when housekeeping was making up the rooms that there are larger rooms. You must request one of the larger rooms if you don't want to walk into a wall. The bed linens are very nice quality. The three biggest negatives are that the hallway carpeting is old, dirty and very smelly, there is no cell phone service on any provider network that I know of, and the pool is literally fenced in within the parking lot. Not someplace you would want to spend much time. Try and stay in the main building. Parking can be difficult. The staff was unfamiliar with restaurants in the area, but did have a book of menus.

• Stayed: July 2005
3  Thank Jaunt
RI
Reviewed July 10, 2005

The biggest problem with this hotel is the service in the restaurants. It is GLACIALLY slow...On two occasions, it took the waiters at least a half hour to take our orders, and on another occasion, we simply left out of pure frustration. Other staff at the hotel were either indifferent or cold. Judging by the very young age and attitude of many of the employees at this relic, management is skimping as much off costs as possible, and results are self-explanatory. Also, don't show up to the hotel after midnight, as there is no-one on duty at the front desk at this hour. This is totally unacceptable for a "4 star" hotel with rooms starting at 215/night. The only positive I will point out is that the housekeeping service was both friendly and proffessional, and the massage therapist was one of the most talented I have ever gone to.

Stayed: July 2005

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed June 23, 2004

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#3 of 16 in Lenox
Blantyre
Blantyre
#6 of 16 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!