“New England epitomised” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
burton on trent, UK
“New England epitomised”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

On a three week trip through eastern USA we met up with friends in Marblehead who wished to show us the "Berkshires", (Yes I will teach them how to pronounce it properly!). We were lucky with parking right outside and in we went. From the exterior and the interior it was all I imagined it could be. My wife and I were utterly delighted, great staff on the desk who, whilst extremely busy, still had the skill, charm and professionalism to get it right and make you feel valued. Up one flight of stairs to a superb room, delightfully decorated, well lit, plenty of chairs and a desk. Above all, twin beds of the most comfortable nature with first class linen.

After unpacking into the commodious facilities we ventured forth to the bar, sadly I had misunderstood that the bar to which my friends referred was in the hotel itself adjacent to the restaurant, I went downstairs to a really great "pub" and refreshed myself. We all eventually met up and entered the Dining Room, very grand with lively and attentive staff. A broad menu awaited and we were all well provided including our vegetarian friend who found plenty. I guess some might find it a bit old fashioned (stuffy) but we liked it and the standards were entirely appropriate to such a hotel with such a long pedigree.

After a super meal it was back to the bar for a snifter and a great night's sleep on that wonderful bed. Next morning we had to do a bit of car shifting because of road works outside which served only to remind me that I had not made full use of the external veranda on the front, complete with rocking chairs. A good breakfast, served by the most jovial of staff, sent us off to Norman Rockwell with a fund of great memories.

I have read some of the comments and they are personal to the writers, all I would add is that this is an old building and bears all the hallmarks of its age, construction and design. The lift (elevator) looks like it came out of Poirot, but it goes up and down. Floors will creek, the water takes a little time to run hot, so what? Is thirty seconds (outside!) so life shattering? This is an exquisite piece of New England's history! Savour and enjoy it and don't ever think of changing it.

And now my gripe. Only one but concerning. I was in the "Chair" for dinner and after everyone had selected their early courses I selected a bottle of wine for the first course with a view to a further, most likely red, later. By the end of the first course this had not arrived. Enquiries revealed that we were "out". The worst thing about this was a young waitress (server) was saddled with the task of telling us, whilst the Maître d'hôtel hung well back. Further discussion took place and a second choice was made only to be told five minutes later that we were "out" of this one as well!, insisting on talking to the head honcho I was informed that this was because the Sommelier was on holiday. I was embarrassed for the young waitress and annoyed that a senior member of the team would hang her out to dry in this manner. As you may imagine words were shared discreetly the following morning, not only for an unprofessional attitude but for throwing a cloud on an otherwise memorable stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank OwdRoger

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (281)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

The history of Stockbridge is so interesting, and a visit to this Inn is a must. We plan to stay here the next time we are in this area. From the moment you enter the doors, you feel as if you've stepped back in time. The floor boards creek, the drinks around the fire are so comforting, the food is fabulous, and the staff working here is so friendly, we loved the time spent in this Inn.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2013

Where can I start? As I was booking a two night "Rise and Shine" package on-line in the UK the website offered me a third night at what appeared to be a reduced rate. This seemed good value so I booked the third night. When we checked in we were presented with room keys and vouchers for two breakfasts. Apparently, the third night was the standard "bed only" rate with no reduction at all. That was the first of several disappointments over the next couple of days.

We booked a table for dinner in the main dining room on our first evening. My wife's meal was fine but my dinner was tepid. The waitress readily agreed to get me a replacement but that was hardly any better (the kitchen had heated up the sauce on the turkey, but the potatoes were still tepid and the beans chewy).

That night we were awoken at around midnight by a loud ringing in the ears. Disorientated by the sudden awakening we spent a futile few minutes bashing the alarm clock near our heads before realising that the noise was coming from the wall next to the headboard.The noise was the fire alarm. This continued to ring for twenty minutes or so but without any further information to guests (no fire alarm instructions in the room we could see). Guests were wandering about the corridor, chatting and clumping up and down but no members of staff were to be seen. In reception was a scene of chaos with guest milling around aimlessly. A man with lots of keys around his middle (a janitor?) said it was 'probably a false alarm' and that the fire service would come to switch it off, which they did ten minutes later with lots of flashing lights and clanging bells. The fact that the whole place smelled of wood-smoke from the wood fires downstairs did not help our return to sleep. In the morning there was no apology or explanation for the night's events.

The second night we booked a table in the smaller restaurant in the bar. We were disappointed by a fifty minutes' wait for our order of a bowl of soup and a burger. In the meantime two or three tables who came after us were served two courses. Our waiter didn't seem to notice the delay.

We decided to cut our losses after two nights and cancelled our third night's booking. On a positive note, the atmosphere of the Inn was genuinely old and charming, the bar was friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was excellent. The Innkeeper made a point of speaking to us before we left and listened very sympathetically to our comments.

2 Thank Bill C
Herefordshire, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

This old Hotel is certainly the place to go for a traditional New England Experience. Our Ground floor superior room had a lovely four poster king bed with a good sized bathroom and quaint fixtures and fittings. The gas fire was a welcome addition in the evening. We were on the roadside but that did not bother us, possibly because it was a holiday weekend and no lorries. The porch out front is a lovely place to sit with a drink before dinner on the rocking chairs. There is a good bar with friendly staff, choice of restaurants and a well kept outdoor heated pool and Jacuzzi. Certainly not the place for people who prefer modern facilities!

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the road
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I travel weekly for work. I was at the end if a 10 day road trip to Cleveland and Boston.
On my way back home to Jersey I took a detour through Stockbridge.
I always wanted to stay at the Red Lion, and a spur of the moment decision, I went to the front desk and booked a room.
What a grand old place. Having lived in a home built on the late 1800s I was nostalgic for the creeky floors, crooked architecture large front porch, thin walls etc.
I had a fantastic stay! It was such a nice change if pace. Especially for someone like me who spends about 200 days a year in hotels. I felt more at home here than any other hotel I have ever been too.

• Stayed October 2013
Oakland, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed one night in October, in one of the cottages in the parking lot - had a choice of a room in the Inn but felt it might be quieter in a detached cottage - though we didn't know it was in the midst of the lot!

Overall though it worked out fine for one night, with an OK-sized room and very large bath. Car noise wasn't a problem - though I was worried about it. At night when we're ready to turn-in everyone is pretty much parked and set for the evening. In the morning, we didn't hear a thing either so it worked out fine for us.

Everything about the Red Lion is old, from the 1700's I think and it feels like it, for better or worse. Our vacation through Boston and Massachusetts had gotten us used to spongy old floorboards and such, the Red Lion was no exception. But things were jumping there! Lots of people going every which way, and the hotel's rabbit warren layout gives you at least two ways to go almost anywhere.

Had dinner at the bar, preferred it to the dining room which was too spread out. Had a nice experience at the bar, hearing conversations, the waiter was great, split everything in the kitchen for us. We wanted more East Coast experience so had the pot roast, a little dry but still yummy.

We had spent the day at the Norman Rockwell Museum which was a highlight for me. I always admired his drawing and imaginative hokey scenes that were rendered so well that you could feel the sincerity he had for his work. I had so many questions of the guard they sent out the curator! Great time.

Stockbridge is a frozen-in-time one street kind of town, probably classic Berkshire environment. We stayed there and at North Adams and came away impressed with people's friendliness, kindness and honest generosity. And the food was consistently good throughout.

2 Thank design49er
River Edge, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

This is a very interesting place to visit - and I am referring to the Red Lion Inn - in October. It is a beautiful time of year in the Berkshires! The public areas of the Inn are welcoming and reflect the history of the location; antiques - including an authentic, working elevator that was fun to use to gain access to our 3rd floor room- are everywhere. The outside of the buildings are beautifully groomed. Do you see the problem? If the interior rooms were as well kept as the exterior, then this Inn would have received a better rating. It was really not more than mediocre, and the overnight stay did not reflect a mediocre cost. There was no one to help us with our luggage. First trip up we used the antique elevator, but when leaving we lugged our own bags down three staircases to the common area. Why? The elevator must be operated by a member of the inn's team, and the one other elevator in the building was at the other, far end of the floor. And, sorry to say, the bedding was really quite uncomfortable. Bottom line: a great destination, stay for a meal, but not overnight.

Room Tip: Wish I could help you here -
2 Thank dramom
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#3 of 9 in Lee
Blantyre
Blantyre
#4 of 14 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!