On a three week trip through eastern USA we met up with friends in Marblehead who wished to show us the "Berkshires", (Yes I will teach them how to pronounce it properly!). We were lucky with parking right outside and in we went. From the exterior and the interior it was all I imagined it could be. My wife and I were utterly delighted, great staff on the desk who, whilst extremely busy, still had the skill, charm and professionalism to get it right and make you feel valued. Up one flight of stairs to a superb room, delightfully decorated, well lit, plenty of chairs and a desk. Above all, twin beds of the most comfortable nature with first class linen.
After unpacking into the commodious facilities we ventured forth to the bar, sadly I had misunderstood that the bar to which my friends referred was in the hotel itself adjacent to the restaurant, I went downstairs to a really great "pub" and refreshed myself. We all eventually met up and entered the Dining Room, very grand with lively and attentive staff. A broad menu awaited and we were all well provided including our vegetarian friend who found plenty. I guess some might find it a bit old fashioned (stuffy) but we liked it and the standards were entirely appropriate to such a hotel with such a long pedigree.
After a super meal it was back to the bar for a snifter and a great night's sleep on that wonderful bed. Next morning we had to do a bit of car shifting because of road works outside which served only to remind me that I had not made full use of the external veranda on the front, complete with rocking chairs. A good breakfast, served by the most jovial of staff, sent us off to Norman Rockwell with a fund of great memories.
I have read some of the comments and they are personal to the writers, all I would add is that this is an old building and bears all the hallmarks of its age, construction and design. The lift (elevator) looks like it came out of Poirot, but it goes up and down. Floors will creek, the water takes a little time to run hot, so what? Is thirty seconds (outside!) so life shattering? This is an exquisite piece of New England's history! Savour and enjoy it and don't ever think of changing it.
And now my gripe. Only one but concerning. I was in the "Chair" for dinner and after everyone had selected their early courses I selected a bottle of wine for the first course with a view to a further, most likely red, later. By the end of the first course this had not arrived. Enquiries revealed that we were "out". The worst thing about this was a young waitress (server) was saddled with the task of telling us, whilst the Maître d'hôtel hung well back. Further discussion took place and a second choice was made only to be told five minutes later that we were "out" of this one as well!, insisting on talking to the head honcho I was informed that this was because the Sommelier was on holiday. I was embarrassed for the young waitress and annoyed that a senior member of the team would hang her out to dry in this manner. As you may imagine words were shared discreetly the following morning, not only for an unprofessional attitude but for throwing a cloud on an otherwise memorable stay.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcoming guests with genuine New England hospitality for over two centuries. Antique-filled rooms, suites, & guesthouses. Contemporary regional cuisine, 3 restaurants, James Beard House-honored chef, elegant & casual/indoor & outdoor dining, award-winning wine list. Heated year-round outdoor pool & hot tub, Gift Shop, WiFi. Live entertainment nightly in pub. Memorable weddings & events. Small to mid-size meetings, unique spaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Hotels.com so you can book your The Red Lion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Red Lion Hotel Stockbridge
- Red Lion Hotel Stockbridge
- Red Lion Stockbridge
- Red Lion Inn Stockbridge Ma
- Stockbridge Red Lion