“Enchanting!”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Concord, Massachusetts
“Enchanting!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

My husband I and I had one night to get away. Living in Concord, Mass, the Berkshires was a natural choice. I have been to the Berkshires before and had driven past the Red Lion Inn several times, but never stayed. We read the reviews and had reasonable expectations, not too high, not too low. This place is GREAT. If you want a hotel with every technological bell and whistle, this is not the place for you. Put your cell phone away and have a drink on the front porch! Ok fine, so the floors are slanty and the decor is "outdated" (anyone heard of antiques?) but the Red Lion has more nooks and crannies than a Thomas's English muffin. Our room was immaculate and comfortable. The restaurant was charming (food was good, not the best meal ever, but good) and the service was wonderful. We've stayed at, and really enjoyed, plenty of upscale hotels like the 4 Seasons and Ritz Carlton. But this place has CHARACTER. I think the fact that it is family-owned gives it more of a homey vibe, which is a refreshing change from the corporate-run cookie cutter feel of those other places.

I hope it's haunted. I hope I can bring my kids here some day when they are a little older; to imagine them exploring through the hallways and around the corners (there is even an old fireplace hearth and mantle in a bathroom stall in the lobby) makes me happy for good times to come. I hope they don't change a thing!

Room Tip: We liked our room in the main building. Apparently there are more contemporary ones in some of the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Frogmaid
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
Thank you so much for staying and for taking to time to post a review! We're working hard on cell service here in the town - unfortunately we have no control over it, it's up to the cellular providers who feel Stockbridge doesn't rate the need for a tower, but we're trying! We love our slanty floors, nooks and crannies, and the fact that every one of our 125 rooms (some older, some newer) are individually appointed and unique. Many of our guests find a "favorite" after a few times with us, which we encourage and try to accommodate every time they return. Newer rooms include Maple Glen, Stafford House, and South Wing. Mention these to the reservations person when your booking if you're interested. We've renovated almost have our rooms in the past 10 years, and are planning for the rest, so stay tuned! Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Guntersville, Alabama
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Everyone should stay at the Red Lion at least one time in their lifetime to experience a slice of yesteryear. I enjoyed people watching from the rockers on the big front porch. The pub is cozy but the entertainment was very late in getting started. I wondered if it was a way to sell drinks while waiting for the show to begin.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks for posting your review! We're glad you liked your stay and apologize about the Lion's Den band that evening. It's truly not the way we would think to sell more drinks, in fact, we sell more when guests are settled in a happily enjoying our entertainment (never a cover charge!), so I'd really appreciate it if you would let me know what specific night this occurred and I'll follow up directly with the band in question. Glad you enjoyed your time here, and thanks again!
Short hills, nj
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We have stayed at the Red Lion Inn for the last few years with our dog and had assumed the musty and humid rooms we had experienced were because we were relegated to pet friendly rooms. However, on this summer's visit we did not bring our dog and our room in the Stevens House was just as bad if not worse than what we had experienced in past years. The air conditioning unit in room 188 was incredibly loud and clearly was emitting damp air into the room. All of the furniture and bedding in the room had a slightly damp feel to it. My husband and I both had headaches each morning. The tub did not drain properly when showering so I was in ankle deep water during my shower. I would recommend staying somewhere else if the only option available at Red Lion Inn is the Stevens House. The rooms are subpar for the $300 per night we paid.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Gail K
Boston, MA
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We treated my husband's family to lunch in the dining room. It was a big mistake. When we were first seated the restaurant was very empty. Nevertheless the service was extremely slow. My husband had called ahead and asked about accommodating gluten free patrons and they assured us they could. However, the waiter did not seem familiar with gluten free dining and did nothing to go out of his way to make sure our experience was a good one. We had asked for GF rolls, which came out late (with the meals), had obviously been microwaved and were also hard as they had been left after being heated. My nephew's steak came out partly well done and partly rare, which he didn't discover until he had eaten part of it. We didn't send it back because the service was so slow. I had ordered a salad off the menu & requested it with bacon & cheese. They brought the salad (which was a very small portion for $12) and then brought a plate of bacon and a small container of cheese (which were charged as 'sides'). I guess for what was going to end up being a $20 salad I was supposed to assemble myself. My mother in law had wanted to order a small portion of the meatloaf as we weren't in a position to take leftovers but they refused saying she would have to order the full meal and just throw it out, I guess.

Overall, my impression is that the restaurant is relying on a steady stream of tourists to support their business as I can't imagine that they have many return customers given the mediocre food and very poor service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Karen_Pan
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, August 9, 2013
I can't apologize enough for your special occasion meal that went so wrong. We obviously missed the mark by a wide margin, and I'd appreciate your generosity by allowing us to make up for the errors. We think we have it tracked down to an Aug 6th luncheon, but I'd really appreciate you contacting me directly so we can do our best to prove to you that this was an isolated incident, and not indicative of our usual service, and I can follow up with those involved with this specific meal. Thanks again for your review, we appreciate the feedback.
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

*We has a fabulous ADA room. It is very hard to turn an old building accessible and the RLI did it!
It was wonderful!
*The hotel is beautiful, it is well kept and the charm is there to stay.
*I knew it was pricey however I think the rates should always include breakfast. Including breakfast in their prices would make the stay and the expense much more coherent.
*The food we had for diner was not the best. It was not bad it was just OK. The prices are too high, really too high for dishes that are just average. That was disappointing.
*The hotel should do something about ventilation in the main rooms by the reception. It smells of mold.
*All things considered I would stay there again just because I love old buildings and the history behind it. I would sit at the porch for a drink but will not eat there.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Uge A
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Thanks so much for your review, and we appreciate your pointing out our recent success at renovations, which can be very challenging in a 275 year old inn! I appreciate your comments
and observations on our pricing. We are always trying to keep our prices down while balancing costs like fresh flowers (and a full-time florist) through out the Inn, live piano music,nightly turn-down service fresh linens and silver on the tables, well-trained waitstaff, and sourcing the finest local ingredients from area farms to make up our menu. All things that many hotels, (and the area competitors in our price range) have done away with years ago, but we feel strongly that our traditions need to be maintained. Thanks again, and please come back for a visit!
armonk, ny
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Are you over 100 years old? You'll love it here. Do you enjoy overpaying for gifts in the card shop? You'll love it here. Do you love waiting for worse than average service in the restaurant? You'll love it here.

Be among the first to find another place to stay in Stockbridge. While the Red Lion might have once been "the place to stay" it now ranks among "the place to avoid." For the price, for the torture, for the sheer drag... not worth it. Even their clam chowdah doesn't come up to par.

Room Tip: So many other better accommodations and meals in Stockbridge.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Wow. Obviously, we've angered you somehow given this sarcastic review and your other one on Elm Street Market. We're sorry we didn't meet your expectations, but again, we're quick to say while we're not for everyone, pretty much everyone who "gets us", loves their experience here, which we pride ourselves on. Sorry again you weren't happy. "White Shoes, Grey Hair, Black Chairs"... Really? Can't think of a black chair in the building, other than a few antiques (and I'm not really sure what that complaint means???) - as for white shoes and grey hair, I assume that's a indictment against the many generations of guests who have been coming here for decades, and now their children and grand children return time and time again to enjoy the same experience. I totally agree, given the tone of your review that we're not what you were looking for.
Damascus, Maryland
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Our room on it's own was really lovely, clean, and well-appointed. A few things took away from a 4 or 5 star experience. We stayed at the Maple Glen cottage and our key worked fine to get in the room, but often did not work to get in the building. It became a real hassle and I had to ask the front desk twice to get a new key made (their suggestion not mine). The second thing was that we put up the 'do not disturb' sign outside the door, the morning we were leaving, and decided we would stop by the room later for our perishables. We get back to the room about a half hour before check out and find the maid service had been in there, cleaned up and took one of our bags with them. We found they were using it for trash in the hallway. Lastly, they lost a couple of extra sales from their well-stocked in-room refrigerator. Two of the juice drinks had already expired and I was bummed.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Anne346
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#3 of 9 in Lee
Blantyre
Blantyre
#4 of 14 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!