“Big disappointment”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Yonkers
“Big disappointment”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

I spent two nights at the Red Lion Inn for July 4th Holiday. Thankfully, I hadn't booked a third night. The Inn was constructed the year Thomas Jefferson wrote the Declaration Of Independence and it shows. At first the "Old World Charm" had me fooled but that ended when the first cockroaches made their appearance while I was in the shower. It was quite warm and air-conditioning while I slept (or should I say tried to sleep) was definitely needed. A small window unit was so loud, I couldn't decide whether lay awake listening to the noise or shutting the unit and lay awake in a pool of sweat. Oh, did I mention the key to the outside door was so tricky it took me 10 minute to get in the building. All this for $299 a night!
Sorry Red Lion, you won't be seeing me again.
Rick Alaimo

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Richard A

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Victor, New York
Reviewed July 3, 2013

This large, rambling, historic hotel is our favorite place for long weekends during the off season
when rates are affordable. Their beds and linens are to die for! There is nothing institutional
here, where every nook and cranny is a new treasure. Near by is the Norman Rockwell Musum, but you needn't leave the hotel as its walls are filled with his paintings. We always stay in the main inn and in a room across from the street(otherwise traffic noise is a problem). The staff remembers us and always makes us feel very welcome. The wood burning fire place in the lobby on cool days is a great place to relax w a glass of wine, and "Simon Gato", the Inn's beloved cat who is also the
Lobby Ambassador and even has his own Face Book page! There is an excellent breakfast place
next door that serves breakfast past noon and is cheaper and better.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed July 2, 2013

The Red Lion Inn is everything they advertise, a continuously running inn since the 1700's. I wouldn't go as far as saying the inn hasn't changed since then but . . . My husband and I spent 2 nights in the main inn. Our room was on the 3rd floor facing the street - so not much of a view and although we were on the street side the noise was not too bad.

If I had to guess - I would say that the room hasn't been remodeled since the 60's. The room was quite large but very outdated - same for the bathroom.

The grounds of the hotel are quite nice - and the pool is lovely. We never dined at the hotel but had drinks in the pub downstairs (way over priced $16 for a martini which wasn't very good) but they have live music so that is what you must be paying for. We also had drinks out on the veranda which is nice.

The bonus is the location - a 5-10 drive to the Rockwell and Chesterwood Museums and of course it is right in downtown Stockbridge which makes it easy to walk to town.

So if you want to step back into history - this is the place for you.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We look for historic hotels and have always enjoyed them until we stayed at the Red Lion Inn for 4 nights. Some of the staff are very good but the new staff hired for the start of the season are awful. The food is overpriced and not very tasty. While we enjoyed the hotel, sort of, the windows in our room were cracked with pieces missing or they would not open.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank route50guy
Connecticut
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Because of its reputation and price, I thought that The Red Lion would be more "luxe" and polished. I was quite surprised by the actual condition of the inn. Here's the bad and the good:

It was built in 1897 but seems older and more rickety. Floors creak, rooms are noisy, and bedroom doors often have 1" gaps at the top that allow in light at night. Our door wouldn't latch and took several attempts to lock it each time we left. The antiques are somewhere else; our bedroom simply had old, mismatched furniture and faded prints. The bathroom sink was rusty and old-fashioned, with separate hot and cold spigots, a real problem because the hot water is very hot and can't be tempered with cold (unless you fill the sink and dip your hands in that, which I refuse to do for sanitary reasons). The shower was also very hard to regulate. The tub was a claw-foot with very high sides (the lip was above my knee), and there was no safety bar to hold onto, so if you aren't young and agile, you should inquire about the availability of a safer tub. The tub is enclosed by two shower curtains, like a narrow tent, and you could trip on the bottoms of the curtains as they drag in the tub. There is no place to put toiletry bags. I really hated the unwrapped glass drinking glasses. Room maids handle doorknobs and other items handled by a thousand guests, they handle dirty towels and sheets, they clean toilets, and then they handle the drinking glasses! Please change to wrapped sanitary glasses.

Modern amenities are few. There was a 32" TV on a low table in the corner; hard to see. There was air conditioning. There was no fridge, which I generally expect in a $300 room. There was no coffee-maker, and I wasn't in the mood to pay $9 plus tip for caffeine. (The website says room service is available all day, but the room guest booklet gave a menu only for breakfast.) Room service wouldn't have been much of a treat anyway -- there is no table at which to eat, only a tiny candle-stand table and a small desk. There is a full-length mirror, but we didn't discover it hidden in the closet until we were checking out. Doorways are very narrow and spaces are cramped. If you need space to maneuver, be sure to specify this.

The good things include: comfortable beds with nice comforters. However, there is no "in-between" bedding; you get a thick comforter or you can peal that away to have just a sheet. The beds are very high, with a step stool to help access. If you're not agile, ask about a different accommodation. Room service included a nightly bedclothes straightening and chocolate treat. The room was mostly very clean; only the carpet was doubtful. Our room had a charming, unused fireplace. Our lunch in the dining room was very tasty, though the menu is pricey. Service from all of the staff that we encountered was excellent and welcoming. There are many charming sitting areas to enjoy. (So sorry that we didn't get to see Simon the cat, though.)

So, when you see a $300 per night price tag, realize that this isn't buying the same accommodations that you would get at that rate elsewhere. All of the lodging in the Berkshires is ridiculously expensive for the quality. But this hotel is quaint, charming, and well-located, and is a good choice if you're looking for something that isn't a sterile chain.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank ConnecticutLocavore
Liberty, Missouri
Reviewed June 20, 2013

We spent a night at this grand old inn only because of its history. The location is great. The fact that it is featured in one of Norman Rockwell's most famous paintings is also a nice touch. So we had to see what it was all about. However, I thought our room was extremely small and crampt. The bathroom especially so. I don't know, but even my grandmother's home had better cared for furniture than what was in our room. I do appreciate antiques, but when they are so tired looking, it's a downer. The bedside lamp did not work. The TV was very small and could not be viewed when one was sitting up in bed over the bed posts. Space between bed and dresser was very limited. We had a room overlooking the pool, but the view wasn't anything special. The armchair and lamp had to be moved whenever either my husband or I wanted to get into the bathroom or use the closet. However, the bartender, Bob, was fun to talk to. We had breakfast the next morning in the dining room...pricey but we really wanted to sit in that wonderful old space..in the dining room, the old things are beautiful. The service in the dining room was excellent. The tea pot collection displayed in the dining room was a nice touch. The gift shop is very nice too. And of course, Simon, the famous Red Lion Inn Ambassador; he was napping when we last saw him, in a comfortable chair in the lobby.

Room Tip: I've read other's Red Lion Inn reviews...maybe you should ask to see the room before you agr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bernadine K
washington dc
Reviewed June 18, 2013

I have thought before that I would enjoy staying at this marvelous old inn and the actual experience was a huge treat. It is really fun to explore the seemingly endless alcoves and cabinets full of curios. The inn gives such as sense of welcome that I would love to have stayed on and on..so many more corridors to explore. I loved every minute of my stay. I chose not to eat at the Inn on this trip but I have eaten both breakfast and dinner there on previous visits to Stockbridge and have enjoyed the experiences...especially the breakfasts..

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#5 of 16 in Lenox
Chambery Inn
Chambery Inn
#3 of 9 in Lee

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!