“Lovely historical building but could be better value”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Kent
“Lovely historical building but could be better value”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Beautiful hotel, pleasant staff but the food in both the Tavern and Lions Den could be better, didn't eat in the Restaurant as it was on the pricey side and after our experience with the other two did't want to waste our money. We had a suite on the fourth floor, fabulous rooms but very noisy - ask for a courtyard room, which we had last time and had a much better nights sleep! Morning coffee was awful but free, could really do with having coffee facilities in the room

Room Tip: Courtyard rooms are a must if you are a light sleeper
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (282)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Freehold
Reviewed May 24, 2013

Arriving on a Sunday meant a quiet travel day. Room in the main house was next to our car in the parking lot. Very convenient for the two of us. The dinning room was expensive. But so was all the restaurant in the area. The inn was very quiet and we were able to sit on the main porch and just watch the traffic go buy with a lazy breeze through the porch. The cell phones have a very poor reception which I thought was great. Wi Fi worked great. Over all it was a peaceful and enjoyable vacation.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Huge historic inn in Stockbridge, MA. The hallways & rooms are adorned with tons of unique historic items/objects. We were in a king room on the Route 7 side. Very noisy in the morning - lots of cars & trucks downshifting to the stop sign next to the inn. Get a room overlooking the courtyard if you stay in the main house. Bathroom was a nice size with robes, storage shelves and adjustable shower head. Adjustable gas fireplace in the bedroom was cool. The whole building smells like a fireplace, which came home with us in our luggage. The main dining room is gorgeous with some very creative menu items. Very romantic at night with candles, etc. The tavern is small and nostalgic with lots of creative drink options. The Lion's Den is in the basement, serves food & has lots of cool board games & live music 7 nights a week. We ate in all 3 spots and everything was delicious. Room service was fantastic. Make sure to put the "Do Not Disturb" sign on your door at night. Housekeeping can be very ambitious in the morning. The outdoor heated pool & hot tub are awesome. Cable TV in the room w/ lots of DVD's to rent at the front desk. Great high speed computer/printer in the library for guest use. Lots of cool little common areas around the house to sit/think/read. There's a cool-looking cat named Simon who roams around the inn (which is weird considering there are 3 public restaurants in there too), so beware if you're allergic. This hotel is a great launch pad for all things Berkshires - check out Bash Bish Falls, Norman Rockwell Museum, Lenox, MA and the Lee Outlets - all within 20min or so.

Room Tip: Route 7 side very noisy
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Gilbertsville, NY
Reviewed May 15, 2013

Used a Travelzoo deal for one night's discounted room with wine and meal (and museum) vouchers, and I'm glad we had the discounts -- eases the pain. The room was fine, the welcoming staff were fine, the bar was fine. But the meal (in the tavern) was, frankly, dreadful. We chose to have two appetizers each and the first - mussels with chorizo - would have been tasty if the mussels had been cooked. At least half of mine were not open. I would have complained had anyone turned up to ask, but the next thing we knew our second appetizers arrived on the table before the first had been cleared so thing got a bit complicated. My second choice turned out to be inedible lamb and my husband's a bit of fried bread with bacon and maple syrup. No noticeable sign of the promised cheese and arugula. On checkout I was not asked if we had had a good stay, which was probably fortunate for the people behind me. Seems a shame that such a well-known place delivers so little. Perhaps we just arrived on the chef's night off?

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
I'm so sorry we disappointed you during your stay. It certainly sounds like something was off in the kitchen with your mussels which I will bring up with the chef. When the 2nd course came, the server should have realized your first course did not meet your expectations, nor the third. You have our deepest apologies and assurances that I will bring your experience to the attention of our dining room and kitchen staff. I'd really appreciate you letting me know the specifics (when you dined and stayed) so I can better focus on when and what went wrong. Please let me know off-line (my email is attached) as I'd like to invite you back to prove that this was a one time incident, and not something that happens all the time. Thanks again for letting us know!
Boston, MA
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Since it's a historic place you'll have to accept the small rooms, lack of windows, radiator on even tough we didn't need it, etc. Our bathroom was remodeled nicely and we were told the bed was new but like a rock and too uncomfortable for me for our 2 night stay. Since the fireplace was lit the last weekend of April we learned it doesn't draft very well and at times your eyes would water in the lobby area. Unfortunately, our room was on the 2nd floor right up the staircase from the lobby and even there, in the hallway, it was very unpleasant. If you have any breathing issues be sure to get a room away from the lobby unless you're there in hot July or August. While there is plenty of parking out back, there isn't a single, even inconspicuous sign directing you where in the maze of this cut-up, large, old building where to enter with your luggage from the rear. I find that a little foolish even for old NE rather than charming. But the front porch with comfortable chairs is definitely charming. While there is very good WiFi in the Inn, be aware there is virtually no cellular reception in town on Verizon. When we go back to the area, we'll stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SeasonedTraveler116
We're so sorry to have disappointed you on your first stay with us. The wood-burning fireplace has been a mainstay in our lobby for over 200 years which we're quite proud if and most guests really enjoy. This time of year when it;'s 60 degrees in the day and 25 degrees at night, we're always running to start and stop the fire. Such are the trials of a 238 year old Inn! Cell service in the area is something we're really pushing for with the cellular providers - they are the decision makers on this, so we're told. Please write or register a complaint with your cell provider to install a repeater in Stockbridge. It would help our cause! Thanks for your review.
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I spent a night here for a wedding in a nearby town. While charming in appearance, the staff was decidedly uncharming and I found the hotel quite the opposite of user friendly. In fact, it frustrated me over and over. Upon check in I was invited to carry my luggage up two flights of steps to the room. I knew it was shared facilities, which I didn't mind since I was going to be there less than 24 hours but after meandering around the 3rd floor for 20 minutes looking for the room (this hotel is huge, over 100 rooms) because the hotel lacks signs directing one to the rooms by number, I couldn't find the facilities at all. That is because the closest one (unmarked) was down two hallways and across a landing. I only eventually found it by going back down to the front desk and asking.
I was very dependent on the internet, which was not working. My verizon Iphone btw also did not work in this area. I needed to catch a shuttle to the wedding and was unable to access the information to do so due to the internet. Back down to the lobby where they told me the internet didn't work. Voicing my frustration, I was told in the most unfriendly terms by who I assume was some manager that they were working on it. No apology, no offer to find another solution, no acknowledgement even that this was a problem.
The room itself was spotless, although loud because this place is right on the street at a major intersection in the middle of town. The bed was comfortable but it was equipped with a sheet and a down comforter. It was cold without the comforter and hot with it. This was May, hardly down comforter weather but nonetheless a little chilly at night so not sheet weather either.
The lock to the door was not functioning properly, but after 5 to 10 minutes of jiggling it finally it worked. I did mention this nicely upon check out thinking they would like to know to go put some graphite in it or something, but this was not well received either.
I ordered a cocktail in the bar and was met with the same indifferent cordiality that marked the entire stay, not rude exactly but bordering on it. I did not have breakfast, as it starts at 7am and I had to leave before that. I did have a cup of coffee at the bar, which was of poor quality.
In summary, it is a clean and charming looking facility that is loud because it is on the corner of two main streets and quite close to the street. What ruins it is the attitude of the staff, which seems to permeate all aspects of the facility. Just were not nice at all. Not entirely rude, but unpleasant.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank pgbmaloney
Altamont, New York
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I recently stayed here for just 1 night, my first stay, although I have eaten in the restaurant a few times years ago. We stayed in the main inn and my BFF and I decided it was "like being in your grandmother's house". Loved that they have a "library" with old books and new computer...loved all the displays on the walls and in the hallways..museum quality stuff...we just needed a docent. Loved sitting on the front porch with coffee in the morning. At check out, the clerk was VERY helpful with shaping our plans for the upcoming day for a good but short hike. The restaurant host took our photo; the gift shop clerk told us all about the hotel cat....i.e. good staff who seem to like working there. Would definitely stay again...so much charm and character.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathryn G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#3 of 9 in Lee
Blantyre
Blantyre
#4 of 14 in Lenox

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!