“Vintage Inn in quaint New England Town”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
connecticut
“Vintage Inn in quaint New England Town”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

My husband and I decided to do a romantic getaway at this old inn, which I have always admired when driving through the Berkshires. We stayed in the main inn, which oozes antique charm. The oversized front porch is filled with rocking chairs, and upon entering the inn, we were pleasantly greeted by a roaring smoky fire, antique furniture, and that homey feeling that makes you feel welcome.

As it was February, there was a lot of snow around. Our room was a king standard, with a gas fireplace and private bath. The bath was very clean, and remodeled in a antique style. (subway tile, vintage fixtures). The bed was soft, with nice linens. I was happy with the room.

We marveled at the hallways full of antiques, and the old birdcage elevator. They have a new outdoor pool/hot tub open year round. With mounds of snow, I brought my bathing suit rather doubtfully, but it turned out to be the highlight of our night. We threw on the hotel robes over our suits and walked the slushy path to the heated patio area. The pool was warm, the hot tub was perfect. As we soaked in the hot tub, with piles of snow surrounding us and took in the night sky - I was very relaxed.

We went on a Monday , so it was not very crowded, the main dining room was closed. We had dinner in the Tavern. It was OK, nothing great. But still, we had a fabulous time and I would highly recommend a romantic night (or two) away here. We also bought a travelzoo voucher, that included dinner and passes to the NR museum - so it was very affordable. I will def keep my eyes open for more deals here.

we had breakfast in our room, which was pricey, but worth the relaxation and privacy. The breakfast food was very good.

at checkout, we met simon the cat, who lives in the inn. I sat by the fire, petted simon, and was sad to leave. very cool place - we will be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JULY711

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I spent a great night at the Red Lion back in December. A memorial brought me and my mother back east and we thought one night of fun would be a good way to take the edge off. I will say Red Lion and Stockbridge are lovely and really, really old (I mean old fashioned AND many old people). We booked an all-inclusive package for about $400.00, which was well worth the money. It included a double room, a bottle of wine and cheese in the room, full dinner and full breakfast.

Arrival was smooth and the public areas of the hotel were very charming and clean. I must say my one complaint of the public spaces was that the floors are not level and it's easy to trip on upper floors in the dim light of the hallways. The room itself was quaint but showed it's age- the wallpaper was peeling, plaster was cracked, the bathroom freezing cold and the carpet was ancient. Aside from those items, I enjoyed the room. The beds took me by surprise. I was not expecting a plush mattress with top-quality linens- it was worthy of a five-star hotel. I slept great.

Both our meals were fantastic. At dinner my appetizer, steak and sides were to die for and the bartenders really know what they are doing when mixing things up. I didn't think we could get great mixology in a small town and I was dead wrong. The best part of the night was going out to the Jacuzzi after a couple drinks in the freezing cold winter air. Breakfast was great, I had eggs Benedict, great coffee and fresh OJ. The waiter during breakfast cracked me up and would ask every table if they took their coffee "Black as a witches soul!"

This is a special place, especially for a road trip through the gorgeous small towns of MA.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 7, 2013

This is Norman Rockwell's stomping ground for decades. The Inn is classic New England style and age - lots of wood work; large; aging everywhere you look. The place is living on the edge.
Everything is a bit pricy, because it can be. The Lion's Head Bar in the basement has a local vodka, Glen Ice, which is quite good, and their shrimp cocktail was very good - I know how can one wreck a shrimp cocktail, but this one seemed special.TWe visited in Feb. and clearly this is a summer spot and a great location for what's going on in Stockbridge, but when we come back (we live in the Boston area) I'd rather be in Lenox, MA.
PS: The Rockwell Museum is very worth while. See the movie first.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Syracuse, New York
Reviewed January 30, 2013

My husband and I stayed here in the beginning of January. Although I was told this is their "off" season it was well occupied. It has a very welcoming atmosphere. If you like the quaint village feel and like you stepping back in time, you'll love it!

The room we had was fantastic. The bed was very comfortable with bleach white fluffs of sheets and comforter. Loved it. There were a lot of pillows too. We usually have to get extra pillows at different hotels (never enough, haha). Again I will say CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN. To me this is most important.

We did not eat in the main dining room, but the menu sounded good. Very limited. We had a drink downstairs in the Lion's Den. Loved the ambiance. The menu was very disappointing. Really didn't have anything on it except for a few sandwiches and soups. I had the roastbeef sandwich, it came with chips and a bit of dressed lettuce. It was okay, nothing to write home about except for the price!!!! $12.00. Granted it was organic - but really?

Other than that, it was a nice experience.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

the red lion inn is a lovely place to stay. obviously quite old, but beautiful and elegant. yes, the floors creak and are a bit uneven, and if you're looking for a big flat screen television, this is not the place for you. but if you enjoy old world charm, a friendly warm place, good food, fireplaces and rocking chairs, a visit to the red lion inn will definitely satisfy you. be sure to wander the halls and various rooms and view the artwork - sooo intersting.

there are 3 restaurants - a traditional one, a tavern and a pub. the pub has a $10 special dinner every night (we had a delicious turkey dinner on sunday night) with irish music to boot. very fun. for a casual breakfast, try the popular local favorite, the elm street market - about a 5 minute walk from the inn. note: they don't just serve breakfast, they serve food throughout the day.

there's also a bakery across the street from the inn that has delicious baguettes, etc. we bought bread there and some cold cuts at the elm street market and made sandwiches for our trip home.

the norman rockwell museum is about a 10 minute drive. there's a $16 admission fee (maybe a bit steep), but it was worth the visit. the film that runs continuously downstairs is the best way to start. we were there for about 1.5 hours.

Room Tip: i think it's fun to stay in the original building - some people prefer the newer small buildings...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Thanks so much for staying with us and for taking the time to post a review! Yes, our floors are creaky and we have our fair share of wobbly doorknobs, but that what we love about being 240(ish) years old. Glad you do too. We're actually starting a program to put flat screen TV's in all the rooms, we're about 30% done now. (The times have caught up with us). We do have large flat screen, smart TV's in our new Maple Glen house, complete with iPod docks, Blu-Ray players, and Keurig coffee makers so we're getting there! Thanks again!
Voorhees, New Jersey
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Clean rooms, friendly staff and best meals you can get. Hotel is quaint and very beautiful. Rooms are Victorian and homey. Ate all meals in the beautiful and warm dining room. Everything they make is absolutely delicious! Will be returning.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This is a beautiful antique inn located in a lovely town in the Berkshires. There is lots of antique furniture and it is easy to imagine how life was in years gone by in this pretty little town. The food here is excellent and the staff well trained and friendly. The location is perfect for wandering around town and visiting the many small shops. I would go back anytime!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mainah3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
#5 of 16 in Lenox
Chambery Inn
Chambery Inn
#3 of 9 in Lee

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!