“Great Meeting/Retreat at the Red Lion Inn”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Reviewed January 16, 2013

I just attended a board meeting at the Red Lion. Terrific hospitality, outstanding food, comfortable accommodations with great, comfy beds! Lounge entertainment made for a special evening. I could have spent hours looking at all the old pictures and artifacts that lined the hallways.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,097)

Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

My husband booked the inn from a recommendation of a friend. They talked so highly of their stays at the inn, & we were not disappointed. First off, the ambiance of the lobby upon arrival was so cozy & welcoming. Between the fire, the piano player, & the house cat I was instantly relaxed. Check in was quick, & informative. My husband did say the back parking lot was icy, so please be careful. Our room was perfect. Love the fireplace!! We then made our way to the tavern for dinner. The bartender, found the hostess for us & she assured us a table ASAP. She did, & we had great service & a wonderful meal. Then we went downstairs to the pub which again was a great experience. Love the town. Lots of cute shops & eateries. Drawback though, no cell service. We did visit the surrounding towns which were all very nice as well. Winter is an off season, so a lot of places were closed. Happy also about the outdoor heated pool & hot tub. I am 7 & 1/2 months pregnant, so swimming was a relief from my aches & pains. The next day we had breakfast in the inn, which was delicious. Service was amazing. Unfortunately that night we also had dinner, that the service was not as good. The food was incredible though. Overall we were so happy we stayed & hoping to return soon after the baby comes

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The Red Lion Inn is a gracious, friendly, old time New England hotel located in Stockbridge, MA. It is near two well known ski resorts, Butternut and Catamount. The rooms are tastefully appointed. The staff is friendly and quick with recommendations as to what to do and see in town and in nearby Great Barrington. You can stay in the main house or in a nearby out building which is walking distance to the main house. There is a formal dining area, a bar/pub, and a tavern. Food is served in all three venues. The bar however has a much more limited menu. This particular weekend there was a father daughter duo playing in The Lion's Den downstairs. If you're looking for classic New England themed getaway you can't do much better than The Red Lion Inn.

Room Tip: The rooms in the off site building have coffee makers in them. In the main house, coffee is served...
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Taking advantage of the Red Lion Inn's winter "Snuggle-Up" package (lodging, dinner, and breakfast for two, prix fixe) is something my wife and I have done for many, many years. Sometimes we have done it alone, and sometimes with another couple. This year we decided to include 3 more couples, close friends, for a surprise birthday event for one of our group. We booked rooms in the Stevens house (1/2 block from the main Inn) and planned our event carefully. Since it was a Sunday afternoon/evening in the middle of January, we ended up having the house to ourselves, but it would have worked out fine either way. The lovely common room, dining table, fully equipped kitchen, fireplace, and wonderful ambiance was perfect. The Inn staff was extremely cooperative and worked with us throughout our planning and execution, allowing us very early check-in and access to the facility. Staff was in on the surprise and helped us throughout. We were able to prepare a lovely afternoon birthday gathering for our friend, who could not have been more surprised or more pleased. By dusk some of our party enjoyed the all-season outdoor heated pool and hot tub, and others enjoyed the bar. We wanted an intimate dining experience, so we booked the small private dining room at the Inn for dinner. It was perfect...what more can I say? Service and food were excellent, consistent with our previous RLI experiences. The rooms at the Stevens House are large and well-appointed. Everyone slept comfortably. The next morning we gathered again in the Inn's main dining room for a perfectly prepared and served breakfast. We are all close friends and we enjoy hosting each other once a month or so; and we are quite discriminating. We all live in the Albany, NY area. This foray into the Berkshires was just perfect in every way. We will do this again.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 14, 2013

Its the Red Lion Inn. Its iconic and you get 150% of the atmosphere and charm you pay for. Excellent room, cozy and clean, (I was sure to book s room with its own bath) and loved how every inch of the Inn oozed history (but still free WiFi!) If the walls could talk. The hotel has several eating and drinking options, the lobby fireplace and rocking chairs on the porch are hard to resist but its a great base for exploring local art museums (Rockwell, MOCA, etc), Lenox, and beautiful drives. Breakfast was fairly traditional but still well done, delicious and accompanied by great service. Very friendly staff. Thanks for a charming stay.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a room with a private bath if you want one. King rooms seem to have more windows...
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My daughter and I spent a weekend here January 2013, and we decided that our days at the Red Lion Inn were going to be "Live-Over Days" -- days so wonderful that we want to live them over and over again! We're not new to this Inn, as we've eaten meals in their wonderful dining room in the past, but I've always wanted to actually spend a couple of days there to really take in all that amazing atmosphere. I've always wanted to go to Stockbridge in the winter to experience the Norman Rockwell "life the way it should be," and I was not disappointed! The Christmas decorations, coupled with the recent snowfall, just made the entire place a "winter wonderland." We arrived in the early afternoon, and were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready and that we were allowed to check in early. That gave us time to freshen up and walk around the village before our 6pm dinner reservation in the Main Dining Room. As we were dressing for dinner, I had to fix my daughter's sweater and needed scissors. I called the front desk, and, immediately after hanging up, a staff member was at our door with the scissors! Now, that's what I call customer service! Our room (a standard with 2 twin beds) was clean and comfortable, and we had an excellent night's sleep. We loved sitting by the fireplace in the lobby and just reading and talking to other guests. The Inn is so inviting, you can walk around the entire area (which we did) and take in all of the history and the Norman Rockwell paintings. We cannot say enough about this Inn and would highly recommend it. Staying at the Inn should not be a "rush stay." I recommend spacing your activities so that you can really take your time and enjoy the little things, like the complimentary coffee in the Tavern every morning, cheese and crackers in the afternoon, music in the Lion's Den and the yummy hot apple cider by the fireplace! I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Myrmyr971
Reviewed January 12, 2013

We have been long-time visitors to the Red Lion Inn, mostly taking day-trips there for lunch in the Main Dining Room, at various times of year.

This year, we decided to book a belated birthday overnight there (On January 9, 2013), and reserved a mid-week "Rise and Shine" package. When we called to book the stay, the person taking reservations was very professional and polite. We were told that check-in time was 3 p.m., and when I inquired if we might have the room a bit earlier IF we arrived early, I was told "certainly, that won't be a problem at all."

Well, it WAS a problem, and just the first of many to follow. We arrived at 2:00 p.m., and stood at the front desk while the young woman there spoke to someone on the phone. She did not look up, or acknowledge our presence. After about 10 minutes, she finally hung up, and turned to walk away, saying to us over her shoulder, "I'll be right with you." She disappeared through a doorway behind the desk, and returned a moment later, saying: "Yes? May I help you?"

We told her we wished to check in, if possible. She looked us up, and said curtly, "That room isn't ready yet. We'll have it ready for you by 3:00."

We then went through a lengthy check in (we had paid in advance by credit card), during which, she told us the "rules" of the inn. Park here, no smoking there, no coffee available until breakfast is served (around 8 a.m. she said, or, we could come down earlier, and "ask the security people if they had any coffee" !!). All this was done in a take-it-or-leave-it manner.

We were given ONE key to the room at that point, and told we could pick up the other one just before we went to our room. It was about 2:35 p.m. now, and we informed the young woman that we would be in the bar. We ordered a drink in the bar, and waited for 3 o'clock, or for word from the desk that the room was ready. (The bartender, btw, wasn't particularly welcoming when we sat down. As in, no smile, no chit-chat, just "what can I get you?")

At 3, we'd finished out drinks, so went back to the front desk. The young woman said "Yes?"
We reminded her that we were waiting to go to our room, and told her we'd parked in front of the inn. She reminded us of one of the "rules" which was "no on street parking after midnight", so, "Park in the back. It's closer to your room, which is on the 3rd floor, and the elevator, so you can bring your luggage in." Huh? No offer of help with the luggage? No. We didn't object, because it was an overnight stay, and we had just one light suitcase. Still...

After parking, the parking lot was quite icy with lots of "ruts" from car tires, and little or no salt/sand (that we could detect) had been scattered. We brought our bag up to the room, and were almost immediately disappointed. We faced a side-street, and could already hear much noise from traffic passing below. (We hoped this noise would decrease in the evening, but unfortunately, it did not.)

We went back downstairs to the lobby area, and waited outside the dining room (we'd made a lunch reservation when we called to book the overnight). The gentleman attending the dining room was busy looking at a list, but not at us. Finally, I said, "excuse me, we have a lunch reservation." He looked up then, and said: "Name?" We told him. He said, "follow me" and we were taken to a small table at the very back of the dining room, right near the busing station, where dirty dishes were piled high.

I could go on and on and on with this review, such as:

--the quality of the lunch food ("nosh-plate"), terrible, as in dried out cheese, no refill of bread basket, drinks arrived a good amount of time AFTER we started eating.

--the awful noise in our room all evening from outside traffic, and a heater that clanked and couldn't seem to be turned down to a comfortable temperature.

--the ridiculous morning wait for coffee and service after we'd been seated in the dining room, and the quality of the breakfast food, which was average at best.

But I really don't like writing negative reviews, despite how this one may read. So I've given readers nutshell version of what we experienced at the Red Lion, which was: Disappointing Service in every regard.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room before checking in, and if you're not happy, ask for an upgrade. Bring earp...
2  Thank Lin P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Garden Gables Inn
Garden Gables Inn
#4 of 15 in Lenox
Hampton Inn & Suites Berkshires-Lenox
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Barrington Lenox/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Great Bar...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington
4 mi away
LakeHouse Inn
LakeHouse Inn
#1 of 9 in Lee
Hotel on North
Hotel on North
#1 of 8 in Pittsfield

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!