We stayed last night with one of their packages which included dinner and breakfast.
The Inn is very historic and filled with antiques, in some areas though, there are just too many and it just looks cluttered. The history of the Inn is remarkable and there are many small areas for just sitting and relaxing. There were fireplaces burning and the entire inn felt warm and cozy.
The front desk staff was pleasant when we checked in and we found our room to be large and very nicely decorated with a gas fireplace and a nicely apppointed bathroom.
The problem with the room was that it was directly on Rte 7 and it was so loud that we did not sleep at all. You could hear every car and truck so loudly that it felt like we were sleeping on the street. Also, before we left the room for dinner, there was a knock on the door for turn down service. We told her that we would be leaving in 2 minutes and when we returned to the room, it had not been turned down. Not a big issue, but just a detail that was overlooked.
We did enjoy the outside hot tub while it was snowing. The pool, while very heated, was not heated enough for me, though my husband did jump in. It was a nice treat.
I will preface my dining review with the fact that I was in the restaurant business for many years.
We had lunch downstairs in the Lion's Den and it was very good with some of the best potato chips we have ever had.
The dining room is very nice but we had an OK dinner. My starter of sweet potato gnocchi was swimming in a flavorless pea puree and needed both salt and pepper to pull out the flavors. I ordered the grassfed beef from their sustainable menu. The flavors of the sauce, goat cheese potato pancake, and sauteed spinach were delicious but the cut of the meat was very tough and flavorless. My husband enjoyed his salad but his prime rib was just OK and there was no au jus to go along with it.
The pumpkin creme brulee and chocolate tart were superb with a cup of freshly brewed local coffee.
Breakfast was just OK. Service for all meals was excellent.
We will probably not return. I understand that there is not much that the Inn can do about the street noise, but we were up all night long and could not wait to get home to get some rest. I was expecting more from the restaurant; it has been so highly recommended but I did not find anything that lived up to the reputation.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcoming guests with genuine New England hospitality for over two centuries. Antique-filled rooms, suites, & guesthouses. Contemporary regional cuisine, 3 restaurants, James Beard House-honored chef, elegant & casual/indoor & outdoor dining, award-winning wine list. Heated year-round outdoor pool & hot tub, Gift Shop, WiFi. Live entertainment nightly in pub. Memorable weddings & events. Small to mid-size meetings, unique spaces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotwire, getaroom.com and Cheap Tickets so you can book your The Red Lion Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Red Lion Hotel Stockbridge
- Red Lion Hotel Stockbridge
- Red Lion Stockbridge
- Red Lion Inn Stockbridge Ma
- Stockbridge Red Lion