“Norman Rockwell did it up right”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Kearney, Nebraska
“Norman Rockwell did it up right”
Reviewed May 17, 2012

Historic Hotels of America is put out by Preferred Hotel Group. It's a promotional piece, but we've stayed in 3 of their properties and have been surprised at how great they are. The Red Lion Inn is right up there---historic, and yet all the modern amenities---including a great menu. Stockbridge is "out of the way", but that's what you want, isn't it?

Room Tip: Exercise room is back of the parking lot in it's own house. Pool is small but adequate. Hot tu...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
East Fishkill, New York
Reviewed May 16, 2012

My wife and I stayed here for three nights. It was our first time here. I had a small reservation about what to expect based on some of the reviews of noise and rude staff, but I figured that when an inn has so many customers there are bound to be some issues. I am very happy to say that we had a wonderful stay and no problems in the least. ALL the staff (at the front desk, at the bar/restaurant, the room cleaning staff, etc) were genuinely friendly, helpful, and pleasant to speak with from start to finish.

We chose the "Rise & Shine" package, paying what turned out to be a reduced price ahead of time for breakfast. Neither my wife nor I have ever had more delicious breakfasts in our lives. Supper was well prepared the one night we chose to eat in the main dining room, but nothing compared with the excellence of each of the six different breakfasts we had during our stay.

We stayed in a Superior King-class room. I thought the price was very reasonable, compared to prices where we live. The room was clean, comfortable, had a large bathroom with shower tub and shower stand, and two big windows. We did not hear any noise during our nights, except for the rumble of heavy truck traffic in the early morning hours (the hotel is on the main corner in town, along a truck route). The fireplace with two comfortable chairs was nice, but not used during our warm springtime stay.

To me the inn was a fun rambling labyrinth of hallways and stairs, with interesting antiques throughout. Live piano music in the evenings and a good-smelling fire in the lobby fireplace each day enhanced the experience. It was even enjoyable to sit on the big porch in a rocking chair for a few minutes.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 15, 2012

We just booked at trip to the Red Lion Inn and chose to stay in room 301. Room 301 is a spacious room that has a shared walk out balcony from the room. The room was at the end of the hall and provided for a quiet night of sleep. There was a bit of light that came into the room. The floors and doors off the inn are not even leveled. We enjoyed the outdoor pool and hot tub.
It was a relaxing treat to sit out on the porch with a drink in hand. The Den had live music which featured the Sun Mountain Fiddler Band. It is one of the best bands that plays at the Den. You can catch them on a Sunday and they play only once a month. The Cobb salad at the den was big enough but the dressing lacked in taste. The salad that was served with the turkey sandwich had a very yummy dressing. I found the service in the hotel to be fine. I'm from next door and had a good time visiting a historic place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Remycub
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, May 16, 2012
Thanks so much for taking the time to write a review on your last stay, and we're glad you enjoyed "The Fiddler", he is terrific. I'll also pass your comments on to our chef about the salad. We really appreciate your comments, thanks!
Secaucus NJ
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Went to the Red Lion for a Saturday night stay - the hotel is very historic and the room we had was very nice - comfortable, clean - private bath.
Had lunch at the Lions Den - very good - and dinner in the Main dining room.
The porch is a great place to just unwind in one of the many rocking chairs, glass of wine in hand, and watch the small town go by.
The staff is attentive, the food is very very good - overall a wonderful time away - would highly recommend.

Mass USA
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge Ma.
My husband and I have always wanted to see the Norman Rockwell museum and experience the Red Lion Inn. We decided our 27th wedding anniversary was the perfect time. We booked the Rockwell package that include 2 tickets to the museum, dinner in the main dining room, breakfast in the dining room and a room with private bath for 325.00 I did request a room with a canopy bed. Upon arrival the room did not have the canopy bed as I had requested. I called the front desk and asked for another room with my request being met right away. I found the Inn to be an experience in itself. I started on the 4th floor just walking the halls and looking at all the antiques and pictures lining the walls. It would be nice if the Inn had a formal tour where more information could be given on the Inn itself. Dinner at the dining room was excellent. We both had the filet mignon that was cut with a fork tender. Our server was very nice yet not overly pushy. Breakfast the next morning and dinner at the Tavern where average. We found the Traven overpriced with pot roast for 27.00 that was only 2 pieces of meat ( rough meat vs tender) with mashed potato and carrots. It’s not a cookie cutter inn. Every room is different which we loved. We went to the Lion’s Den and heard the incredible David Grover. We decided to stay another night at the regular room rate. The fact that this inn has been in business for 239 years is what gives it its charm.
Tips: Simon the cat has the run of the Inn so if you have a problem with cat’s this may not be the place for you
Try the Daily Bread bakery across the street. The cinnamon buns are delicious.
Pull up a rocker and sit for a spell. You’ll be glad you did !!

Room Tip: Inn is located on a corner and can be loud during the evening hours. Try for a room facing Main stee...
Mid-Atlantic
Reviewed May 5, 2012

Over the years, I keep returning to the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge, even though I would not give it an A-Rating. I love the old, rather quaint rambling features of the Inn, and the ability to wander along side corridors to get the feel of antiquity. The art treasures are stirring, as are the lending library book collections.

My room has always been neat as a pin. But, twice I handed in a room so noisy (infiltrated by constant automotive traffic) that I had to get headphones in order to block out the noise. I recommend asking for a distinctly quiet room - that is, in a quiet corner. Most guests are very gentile and quiet, and considerate. The rooms are outfitted comfortably, with care. The amenities are charming.

The restaurant is quite expensive, but it is so nice to have real quality linens and wonderfully served tea in a teapot and ample portions. I do think the coffee is not the best - but then I prefer a bold, dark topnotch brand.

The location is wonderful for walking the village and sidestreets. For me, the Red Lion Inn is an overnight and morning respite before making my way, two + hours, into downtown Boston. Somethings might sound like a bit of quiche, such as the Norman Rockwell Museum, but, believe me, it is first-rate. One time when I was there I saw a collection of artistic covers of The New Yorker magazines- something that has left an indelible mark on my memory.

You can count on the Inn being booked in autumn, so plan ahead then and at any other season. The Inn has many specials, but most require at least a 2-overnight stay. Be sure to wander freely about the Inn and take in the twists and turn, varying decor, and artwork. You'll be glad that you did!

Room Tip: Specify that you must have a room removed from the busy traffic intersection where, I can tell you f...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed April 28, 2012

Well, strictly speaking, there was a lot of chintz in this place. Having read the reviews before I stayed, I expected to be overwhelmed with historic cutesiness. However, I found this inn to be steeped in a lovely and cohesive sense of our country's past, without feeling forced or excessively frou-frou. My father and I shared a cozy 2 room suite up on the fourth floor, which was simply furnished with antiques, and immaculate. Our bathroom was spacious and bright, with old-school small black and white tiles on the floor, a great clawfoot tub, and a separate, modern shower. Our dinner in the ambiance-rich Tavern was terrific. And best of all were the relaxing moments spent on the broad front porch, watching the world turn in Stockbridge. I can't wait to return - one night was just not enough.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Jeromehotelier
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!