“The Red Lion Inn is a Family Tradition”
Review of The Red Lion Inn

The Red Lion Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Huntington, New York
“The Red Lion Inn is a Family Tradition”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

We have stayed at the Red Lion nearly a dozen times over the years. It is a very special place and holds great sentimental value for me. We visit every December to start off the holiday season and it sets the tone perfectly. It's quaint, it's charming and above all it's authentic in the character of a true New England inn. It's quirky and fun to be there and very family friendly - even in the dining room. From the second we arrive until the minute we leave we are relaxed with smiles on our faces. In the summertime there is nothing better that sitting on the front porch sipping a cocktail or an iced tea before heading off to Tanglewood. To me, the Red Lion is a state of mind. Are some of the beds uncomfortable - yes. Do all the rooms have big flat panel TVs - no. Are there coffee makers and microwaves in the rooms - no and no. If I were traveling on business I'd probably prefer the Hampton Inn. If I were looking for luxury I'd choose a fancy B&B in Lenox. I go to the Red Lion to connect with my family - to play a game of chess in the lobby while sipping hot chocolate or to sit in front of the fire playing cards, to celebrate a special occasion in the dining room or sing Christmas carols on the porch in winter or play board games there in the summer. If these sound like activities your family enjoys give the Red Lion a try some weekend and I bet you'll be taken in by it's charm.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank lovesvaca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
South Seaville, New Jersey
Reviewed December 15, 2011

My wife and I came here for the first time for our honeymoon in 1988. We have, with the exception of just one year, stayed at the inn every year since then on or around our anniversary in February. We are booked again this year (our 23rd) and look forward to the stay as much as we ever do, which I guess is the best testimonial we could ever give to the inn. The best way to describe the feeling we have when we arrive is that is it feels like our home away from home; we feel that comfortable there.
The only disappointment is that our loyalty is in no way acknowledged upon check in or during our stay. Wouldn't such a successful inn have a way to track such loyalty and make sure it's mentioned upon arrival? I'm sure the inn has several very loyal customers and wouldn't it be a great way to take their service to the next level by recognizing such loyalty.

Room Tip: check out the lions den for great entertainment at night.
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff G
Westfield, New York
Reviewed December 7, 2011

Last year we took our dog (Goldie Bear) and went to the Red Lion Inn for Christmas Eve, Christmas and the two days afterward. It was wonderful! We stayed on the basement floor where the Curtain Factory store is and we had close access to the parking on the side of the Inn and spaces to walk our dog.

We ate at their restauarant both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day. It was excellent. On Christmas Eve they have a choir and piano player come to the Inn and they perform about 2 hours. They do a sing-a-long of all your favorite Christmas songs and hymns. They take requests as well. And, if you are brave you can be a soloist with the choir as back up.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Russell B
ct
Reviewed December 5, 2011

The Inn has a ton of charm and the employees are all very friendly. The rooms we have stayed in have pretty worn decor that could use some updating for comfort. The main dining room is just too fancy for most families with young children. So we could never have meals there. The closest we got to eating there was in the widows tavern with the kids which I hope did not bother those drinking at the bar. I think the dining room should be more family friendly. Good mix of people but there were a lot of pretentious types, too snooty for us, and we are both Cornell grads.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
BruceRLI, General Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, December 14, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We're always engaged in updating and repairing things that need doing here. You should see our refinishing and re-upholstery bills! We do take your comments seriously and typically adopt a intensive work schedule after the first of the year, when occupancy drops and we can gain access to the rooms that need work. I am sorry that you felt the dining room was unsuitable for families, as we love well-mannered children, and accommodate many, many families, especially this time of year. We're proud to welcome back families who have been coming back for annual gatherings for generations. Thank you again for your comments.
Anchorage AK
Reviewed December 2, 2011

I traveled from Alaska to a business meeting at the Inn 11/13/11-11/17/11. As a former New Englander I was not surprised at the creakiness factor, and I enjoyed the rich character of the Inn. The food was great and our meeting room was quiet, spacious, well-lit, and serviced very professionally.

There were, however, two big disappointments. First, as a business traveler who had to get up at 6:30 AM in a time zone four hours earlier than my own (i.e. at 2:30 AM Alaska time), in-room coffee would have been great. (I now suspect that the Inn's fire insurance doesn't allow this.) I had checked TripAdvisor right before leaving on my trip and read a response to a review dated 10/27/11 by the General Manager, "BruceRLI." He had this to say: "We do not offer coffee and tea making facilities in our rooms (although we do have French presses and all the ingredients upon request)." But when I asked the front desk if I could have a French press setup (and had even brought my own coffee) I was told there was no such device available. The employee had never heard of such a thing. So I am left scratching my head about why the GM would have written that there was. RLI needs to understand that potential customers reply on what's said on TripAdvisor; please don't state that you provide certain services unless you actually do.

There was free coffee downstairs in the tavern, but this meant getting dressed, washing the blear out of my eyes, and running a comb through my hair first.

I also had to change rooms my first evening at the Inn. Both rooms were in the oldest part of the Inn, where the steam heat cannot be adjusted or turned off. The first room faced Rte. 7, busy with 18-wheelers braking and accellerating away from a stop sign, so while opening the window made the room temperature tolerable, it was too noisy to sleep. The second room faced an inner courtyard. While I appreciated being moved, and I understand that old heating systems can be idiosyncratic, I hated the waste of fossil fueled-energy escaping through my windows all day and night.

Finally, potential guests with allergies, COPD, emphysema etc. might want to avoid the RLI, or at least get rooms towards the back. There is an open wood fire in the front lobby and wood smoke is quite noticeable in the upper hallways. Plus the Inn's charming cat, Simon, may visit your room -- this would have been a problem for my husband, who was not traveling with me.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the courtyard/pool. The older rooms are towards the front, newer ones towards...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
3 Thank AKRiverGirl
Well, I am embarrassed and apologize for the confusion during your recent stay regarding the coffee arrangements as well as the problem you had with the heat. Indeed, we do have french presses available upon request, and frankly, due to some turn-over at our front desk, not everyone was obviously informed about it. I can assure you that has been taken care of with some immediate re-training. I'm glad we could find you a room in the back of the inn to your liking and away from the main street and I'm sorry that our fireplace in the lobby was bothersome, as most guests really enjoy the warmth, ambiance and even the smell of the wood burning throughout the wintertime. Thanks so much for your comments and letting me know about our training issue. It's through feedback like yours that we can continue to improve our service. Thank you again.
New York
Reviewed November 28, 2011

I'm a New Yorker who grew up and went to school in New England. What I love about New England is the Colonial / Federal period and the return to that in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Although The Red Lion is a good place where I sometimes eat in the bar, it is much too Victorian and cutesy for me.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank NewYorkarchitect
Prospect, Kentucky
Reviewed November 28, 2011

We have family in Stockbridge so we make the trip up for Thanksgiving often. A visit to the Red Lion Inn would be enough reason to make the trip, so we indulge ourselves by reserving a room well in advance for this busy time of the year for this classic country inn. Central to everything in the area (the Norman Rockwell Museum, Tanglewood, The Berkshire Playhouse etc) the Red Lion is a warm, cozy place with wonderful amenities (there is a heated pool and a separate hot tub, workout room and several reading or card rooms in addition to the welcoming lounge area with the fireplace always radiating a nice glow and wonderful country fragrances of cherry, oak or maple softly burning, the tavern with all its history, the Lion's Den with live entertainment and the gift shop with something for everyone) and clean well appointed rooms. We have stayed several times, with and without our now grown children and despite the relatively high room rates, we plan to stay again in the future. Dogs are permitted. We were unfortunate not to be able to get a room permitting our large Rhodesian Ridgeback, but only because we made the decision to take him at the last moment, so remember to reserve pet friendly rooms early! The room service was excellent. We always appreciate the hot coffee in the Tavern in the early morning, but the service in the restaurant was a bit impersonal and inattentive this time around; nothing glaring, just noticeably deficient for a place otherwise so attentive to detail. Easy check in/check out and a flexible and friendly staff.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the internal courtyard or one of the cottages in the back. The rooms facing R...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Great Barrington/Berkshires
Fairfield Inn & Suites Lenox Gre...
#2 of 10 in Great Barrington

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!