“A Welcome Respite”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stockbridge
Stillwater, NJ
“A Welcome Respite”
Reviewed December 29, 2007

What a welcome respite The Red Lion was after a long stormy ride from Boston! My mother and I were so very pleased with their courteous staff and luxurious accommodations. Shortly after arrival we had a light dinner in the Lion's Den. This meal and breakfast the next morning in the Dining Room were memorable. My mother and I certainly felt pampered during our stay at this lovely inn.
I chose the inn after reading a Norman Rockwell Museum brochure. In it I learned The Red Lion Inn and Country Curtains pays all children's admission to their museum.
I hope to make an annual trip to The Red Lion Inn for many years to come.

Stayed November 2007
BruceRLI, Manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2008
We're so pleased that 234 years later, we can still provide a welcome, warm and inviting respite for weary travelers like debdug, who now arrive by automobiles instead of stage coaches. We'll keep the fires glowing and look forward to your return!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
New York
Reviewed December 19, 2007

My husband & I have frequented the Red Lion Inn for several years now, mainly in the spring or summer. This year we thought the holiday season would be nice. The Inn was beautifully decorated & rooms & food were always excellent. My qualm is that the staff (management) did not appear to be aware of the intrusiveness of other parties that monopolized the main lounge. Apparently there was a family gathering & they took up the entire spot & placed their Xmas gifts under the tree & took all sorts of pictures. I actually was quietly waiting for my husband to come downstairs for dinner & was asked if I would mind moving because a member of their party had just arrived. Usually I would not mind, but in this case i found the request annoying. There appeared to be many smaller or meeting room that this party could have utilized for their family reunion.They also left drinks & snacks & paper in the area & I almost tripped on a ribbon.
I would go to the Inn again, but not during a holiday season.

• Liked — location & decor
  • Disliked — young unsupervised children opeing Xmas gifts all over the main rooms
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
BruceRLI, manager at The Red Lion Inn, responded to this review, January 5, 2008
We're so pleased that Blackiefazz enjoyed her stay with us and disappointed that we did not do a better job of traffic control in our cozy lobby. It's unfortunate that the family in question did not avail themselves of many smaller nooks and side parlors that would have been available for their party. While we strive to provide all our guests with a relaxed and memorable experience, unfortunately, some guests are not as gracious or considerate as others. I would imagine by the time we realized this party had taken over the lobby (made smaller by our Christmas tree), it may have been too late to move them. We will look forward to your next visit, and hope the family in question is also a Tripadvisor reader! Happy New Year!
Washington, DC
Reviewed December 16, 2007

My wife and I took advantage of a Friday night mid-December special--one night plus breakfast for $85 plus tax--booked directly through the inn's website.

It turned out to be a fabulous deal--at least for us. The massive inn is of incredible historical interest and funky old charm. The whole thing is from the Revolutionary War era. The floors underneath the expanse of Persian-style carpet undulate underfoot--but I thought that was kind of cool. There are cabinets everywhere filled to the brim with antique china. The lobby is huge, with lots of little nooks, fireplaces, and siderooms. You really feel like you're getting an old-style New England experience. It's somehow very ornate and yet cozy as well.

The room:

I should note that our room was one that did not have an attached bathroom. (We knew that from the start, however.) The bathroom was directly across the hall. But there was no one else on our wing that night, so we had it all to ourselves. This would probably bother some people--yet there are other rooms at the inn that do have their own bathroom. And they give you thick robes to use, so it's not like you'll be stuck running across the hall naked. And there was a sink in the room.

The bed was very soft, the sheets luxurious, and the room warm and quiet--despite the fact that its windows faced Route 7. There was not much traffic at all there late at night. Perhaps that's different in the summer or on a weekend night in peak season. The rooms also have free wi-fi, and there's a computer with a printer in the third-floor library.

Problems:

To give a balanced review, I should note that some of the wallpaper and plaster in the room was cracked--but it almost added to the charm. In a modern hotel room, I'd think that was ratty--but here it just reminded me that early American patriots slept here.

Eating:

The voucher for the continental breakfast for two turned out to be a real perk, in that we were also allowed to apply it ($14 value) to the bill on a full breakfast.

Breakfast in the exquisite dining room was delicious, and the service was the perfect blend of warmth and efficiency--but without any insincere, cloying obtrusiveness. Try the French toast or the Red Lion Frittata. Even the music was a tasteful and barely noticeable background of classical tunes. I kept teasing my wife over the white tablecloth that I felt like an actor in some Jane Austen movie.

Other:

The Inn also will give you a coupon for $8 off an adult weekend lift ticket at Ski Butternut if you ask.

The front-desk staff was very nice and accommodating.

We asked for and were given a room on a high floor (4th) and thus had a wee hike up the stairs to the room. Not a big deal, though. These aren't cement fire stairs but a beautiful carpeted staircase. For those with walking difficulties, there is an elevator.

If you bring your small children, do control them. We saw some who had made a shameful mess of the courtesy hot chocolate in the afternoon--and the parents didn't even clean it up. This is not a place where wild hellions should be brought. There are too many beautiful and historical artifacts here.

Conclusion:

If you love old buildings or American history and don't mind a few cracks in the ceiling or a floor that's uneven here and there (due to 300 years of use), then you will love the Red Lion Inn. It's a great way to sample one of the last vestiges of authentic New England.

• Liked — Cozy historic atmosphere
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Thank you WashDCMan, you got it! What we mean by that is: We fully admit we're not for everyone - our creaky floors, squeaky doors and well-traveled hallways don't appeal to those seeking a cookie-cutter hotel experience; and that's OK! For the rest, we promise to remain faithful to our mission of providing the conveniences and amenities you expect, with the historic ambiance you love. But don't ever expect key cards or automatic check-in kiosks. We DO have our limits! As for the wallpaper and plaster - that is a slip, and one we'll correct. I'm glad you made note of it, and thank you for your feedback. We'll see you next time and remain at your service! Thanks again.
Wales
Reviewed November 18, 2007

My wife and I have just returned home to Wales [UK] after our
seventh year's stay in the lovely Red Lion Inn. Once again we had a wonderful time.

We are both educators and we spend our October half term holiday there. It has become a tradition with us. We also take advantage and see relations who live fairly locally while we are in Stockbridge. They joined us for dinner in the Red Lion on the Thursday night. We had a great meal in the main dining room. The food was, as always, excellent and the service second to none

There are several reasons why we return to Stockbridge year after year. Obviously there is the beauty and majesty of the countryside as well as the wealth of cultural and other activities [including shopping!] to occupy us. But to return to the Red Lion year after year proves that it must be doing a really great job.

The hotel holds a place in our hearts for many reasons. The
accommodation itself is lovely and so well looked after. This year
we stayed in room 105 as I use a wheelchair. We moved there from our usual 108 following advice from your staff last year as 105 has beed upgraded to and above ADA standards . The room is bigger for the wheelchair - around the bedroom and in the bathroom with a roll-in shower - and brighter. It was a lovely room.

The food, as always, was great. We had breakfast and dinner each day in the hotel. I think that we also had about 4 lunches there. In fact, whenever we were about at mealtimes, we ate in the hotel. My wife's favourite dinner was the peppered duck, which she described as the best duck she had ever eaten. Thank you.

But all of this would not mean as much without the tremendous staff that you have working in the Inn. They made us feel so welcome and that little bit special. All were good to us, but we remember especially CJ, Eric, Peter, Tim, Dan, Caroline and Ann.

Thank you once again.

We will be booking soon for next year, when we have our flights sorted out.

• Liked — Ambience of hotel, including great food and service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank Andrew99
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed November 6, 2007

My husband and I come back here each year for our anniversary. The inn is a quirky old place full of antiques and charm. The rooms are beautiful and the whole place is sort of shabby chic. The heat can be a bit of an issue as a few times I have stayed it became sweltering in the middle of the night and not all the windows open because they have storm windows on. The dining room is...well..very over priced. The food is generally quite good and often unusual but certainly not worth the price. We book a package that includes a three course dinner for two and a full breakfast. That is the only way I would recommend eating at the inn, and only in the main dining room.

• Liked — Old charm, antiques
  • Disliked — The prices in the restaurants are too high
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 3, 2007

This seems to be a pretty famous place but after visiting, not sure why, apart from the fact it occupies a corner site on Rte9! It's chintzy in the extreme, has a bizarre curtain emporium in the centre, the restaurant was OKish but expensive and miserly portions (by US standards) and food arrived suspiciously quickly (ie had been already plated and reheated)...though our server was lovely. The lobby seemed crammed with tour parties and the average age was about 65. Stockbridge itself was also singularly lacking in interesting shops, restaurants etc...old houses, yes, but this is New England!

HOWEVER I may be being churlish. It's undoubtedly popular and maybe is just the American equivalent of our English Lake District. There are lovely places nearby eg we hiked to Bish Bash Falls, drove up to Mt Greystoke etc. And the Prime Outlets at Lee are good too when hiking means roaming the aisles of Gap...

But the reason for the high score is that we didn't actually stay in the hotel building but in Meadowlark, which is a cottage they own in the grounds of Chesterton (the summer home of the sculptor of the Lincoln memorial). It was fantastic. Our own (not so) little hideway in the woods. So quiet. Functional kitchen with full size fridge and cooker. Proper bathroom. Lovely living area with fire, boardgames, books, TV. Two king size bedrooms which were really sweet and comfortable and pretty. Hotel provided a 'breakfast basket' with muffins, coffee, fruit etc so we didn't have to trek back to the hotel.

I thoroughly recommend the Red Lion - but only if you're not staying in it!

Stayed October 2007
Clitheroe
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Stayed 2 nights in a room overlooking Main Street which was gloomy (because of the trees) and noisy (because of continuous heavy traffic). The room was noticably colder than the rest of the inn and had no apparent means of heating. We booked dinner both evenings in the restaurant, but on the first evening when we arrived at the appointed time our table was not ready so we had a half - hour wait until it was! The food was good but the service quite slow. Breakfasts, which were not included in the tariff, were enormous (we were defeated by a 'full stack' of very large pancakes). Good free parking, and very welcome free internet access in the pleasant upstairs library.

• Liked — Historic Inn
  • Disliked — Needs upgrading and better management
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Molecatcher
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockbridge
Black Swan Inn Berkshires, an Ascend Collection Hotel
Yankee Inn
Yankee Inn
#6 of 16 in Lenox
Cranwell Spa & Golf Resort

Been to The Red Lion Inn? Share your experiences!