“Our old standby...”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 13, 2013

...so close to home. We continue to appreciate the rustic atmosphere and low prices. Our dinners this Friday were fish and chips---a bargain, as usual, at a mere $8.95 for a "just enough" portion (not a mountain of fries and a whale of a haddock fillet), but I felt that the cole slaw was not up to par on this visit. And, as usual, service was slow although the dining room had only one other table occupied at the time (we arrived about 5:30 p.m. to accommodate our elderly companion). But we were not in a hurry so we just sat back, talked and relaxed. Still can't imagine how the inn can stay open with such slow business, especially on a Friday night, though I imagine they survive with their banquet business. I'm sure we'll go back again for lunch, dinner or Sunday brunch.

4  Thank lynninma

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My last three lunches and two dinners at this establishment have been horrible....on the last, in particular, I had to apologize for taking a potential client there as it was SO bad. Food nearly made me ill...I thought the server would ask why I was sending nearly all my meal back but she didn't mention a thing.

I also had the unfortunate experience (wish I could say pleasure) of attending the wedding of a coworkers daughter. I have never had quite that experience at a wedding before. My table's food was nearly ICE COLD. Horrible. Wedding cake was placed by one server, coffee poured and spilled all over the table and as soon as I placed my fork down for a break between bites....POOF, my plate of cake was gone.

I've read good reviews about this restaurant and even had a good experience 12 or so years ago so I'm not sure why all of these negative changes have happened but it's a real shame.

The icing on this cake though is the response to the review below from a staff member. How DARE a staff member comment as the below has. This truly shows inexperience, poor service and even worse management. No wonder why the place is in such bad shape...if this is the kind of staff they are employing, it's wonder they're still in business. Note to staff person...being in the business of customer service, you should know better. A simple..."we're sorry that your experience was not as you had hoped" or "our apologies that your visit was not up to your standards" would suffice and may even make that guest return to give your sad state another chance.

9  Thank stormitraveler
Reviewed August 11, 2012

I had lunch at the Spencer Country Inn with a friend last week and was completely delighted. It was like stepping back into the 1950 s -- but the good part of the 50 s. The food was wonderful-- we had steak and an open-faced roast beef sandwhich -- and the prices incredibly reasonable. The desserts -- right out of the 50 s again -- were a joy. The wait staff was very attentive and pleasant. The decor of the dining room and the whole site was charming and filled with authentic vintage pieces and antiques. I don t know why this little gem of a place hasn t been discovered by more people.

2  Thank DesertMorning
Reviewed January 13, 2012

Really good value for the price. Not expensive. Very good food and service. Try the prime rib.

3  Thank Dino T
Reviewed December 19, 2011

Beautiful, rustic atmosphere, comfortable surroundings but service was extremely slow the day we went for lunch. Menu options are limited, but the prices can't be beat. The Sunday brunch is quite good at a very reasonable price. Best to visit during the spring/summer when their gardens are in full bloom.

1  Thank lynninma