“Humiliating Experience from a large family”

Black & White Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Spencer
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
A TripAdvisor Member
“Humiliating Experience from a large family”
Reviewed October 8, 2005

We tried to dine at this establishment earlier this evening, but left after we were treated with hostility and completely ignored in the lobby while two other parties who came in after us were promptly greeted and accommodated.

Here's what happened:

My husband, myself and our six children aged 10years to 5months entered the restaurant. Immediately upon arrival a waitress looked at us and rolled her eyes, let out a sigh, and walked away without speaking a word of greeting to us.

My children needed to use the bathrooms, which are conviently located off the waiting area. There are also some nice benches there for guests to sit comfortably while awaiting a table. My husband, myself and my children seated ourselves here while we awaited acknowledgement from the hostess and while we use the facilities.

A hostess finally came after an approximate wait of five minutes. At this point two other parties had arrived in the restaurant. One was a couple, the second was a party of 3 adults and 3 small children. The Hostess gave my husband a baleful look while asking: "How many?!?" He smiled politely and answered: "Eight." The hostess shook her head, sighed, turned to the couple and asked the same question. When they replied: "Two", she gave them a benevolent smile and immediately seated them. Then it was my turn to use the facilities. When I returned to the bench, the other party of 3 adults and 3 small children had already been seated. My family was completely ignored. At this point we decided to leave.

We dined at Friendly's restaurant and received Fantastic, professional, courteous service all the more spectacular in comparison to the treatment we received at the Black & White Restaurant.

I have completed an online survey with Friendly's restaurant, thanking them and have sent a letter indicating the above injustice with a copy of the letter I sent to Friendly's to The Black & White Restaurant.

It is my hope that the folks at the Black & White Restaurant will work hard to make sure no other large families ever experience this kind of treatment at their restaurant again.

5 Thank A TripAdvisor Member