“Good food at good price”

Black & White Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 25 Restaurants in Spencer
Cuisines: American
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Barre, Massachusetts
“Good food at good price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

Me and my girlfriend have been going here on a consistant basis for the past few months. to date I have not had a meal I did not like. Most recently I was finally able to get a slice of their prime rib. I knew I had to try it when it was sold out on our previous three visits. I can say it did not dissapoint. I went all in for the King cut which was prepared perfectly, a huge well seasoned cut of meat which can rival several high end steak houses out in the metrowest area.
If your in the mood for an italian dish I highly recomend their lasagna or pizza. we have tried at least four of their speciality pizzas and all were fantastic.
Their servers are always freindly and quck to make sure your glasses are full and empty plates are cleared.

• Visited June 2012

“Had a good lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

The wife and I went there for lunch. It wasn't busy and we easily found a seat in the bar. The waitress was prompt and nice. I got a gyro and wifey got a wrap. Both were good. Nothing special, but good. Prices were about average. Main thing I took away from the experience was the bar. Looked like granite and in a psuedo horseshoe shape. Pretty cool. As this was our first experience, I think we'd go back to try other things on the menu. A new favorite? Probably not.

1 Thank ess96
“Something Fishy”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2012

My family decided to try out the Black and White after several people told us that the food was excellent.
We ordered the two lobster bisque, which was the soup of the day at $2.50 ea. Dill Salmon $14.29, Baked Stuffed Shrimp $16.95 and a Daily Special of Chicken & Lobster penne with Alfredo sauce $14.95.

The waitress was nice enough, but she forgot one of our drink orders. After waiting some time she did not return, so had to ask another wait staff to bring for us. Our soups came right out, but we waited at least 30 min for our meals to be brought out.

The lobster bisque was very salty and I thought it was tomato soup at first. The baked stuffed shrimp was really 7 small overcooked shrimp in a casserole dish with butter and a thin sprinkling of bread crumbs thrown on top. The Chicken & Lobster Penne was not bad, too much Alfredo sauce for my liking and the chicken was a little over cooked, but it was the best dish we ordered. The Salmon smelled and tasted very fishy, it was inedible so I sent it back. I have never sent a dish back to the kitchen, ever!
The waitress was apologetic, but kept saying that she had served 10 Dill Salmon that night and I was the only person who complained. She offered to have the kitchen make me something else, but I just asked for a side plate and I shared the chicken and lobster with my daughter.

After our meal, while the bus person was clearing the table, she dumped a ketchup container onto the table and it splattered onto my daughter's white dress (the first time she had ever worn it). The bus person was clearly sorry and I know it was an accident, but it was not a great end to the already bad meal.

They took the Salmon off the bill and then an additional $25 for the dress (which was very nice) But, I don't think we'll be going back there again.

• Visited June 2012
Rutland, Massachusetts
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“could be excellent , but probably never will”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2012

I have been going there since they reopened , unfortunately they have no competition therefor they don't seem to care . They have the best pizza around but there is no consistency , pizza is over priced and they tell you 30 min , and it's done in 10 min and cold when you get home. The last straw was I ordered a $10.00 Burger and I over herd the cook say he lost the slip and he gave the waitress an attitude because he got the order wrong , upon getting home and opening the meal I found the order was thrown in the bag because he was pissed off that he couldn't do his job. So.... in short if you choose to go there be ready for a half hearted meal at a whole hearted price.

• Visited May 2012
1 Thank redlineharleys
“A nice ride.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

When we were younger, we used to drive out there for ice cream all the time. Then they closed, but reopened recently. I haven't been there since they re-opened.