“A Real Meal at a Reasonable Price - Recommended”

Mexicali Mexican Grill
Ranked #2 of 26 Restaurants in Spencer
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 6, 2012

Stopped in at 10pm after the Spencer Fair. Parked on the street in front of the restaurant. The manager came over to introduce himself. Very friendly. Sat in a booth.

Ordered:
Chicken avocado salad - $10. Large portion
Fajitas for 2, chicken and shrimp, ($27)
Soda

Pros:
Salsa and chips included with meal
Large portions: Fajitas for 2, chicken and shrimp, ($27) easily serves 3 adults. A tray of food.
Open late - until 11pm
Great staff. Professional and friendly
Food tastes great

Cons:
The decor is not designed to be elegant. Not an anniversary place.
Address is wrong on google maps. The place is on Main St., city center Spencer.

Bottom line: Solid Mexican restaurant

2  Thank Alex M

Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stopped by Mexicali Grill on an early Wednesday evening in August, 2012. We were seated immediately. The service was good throughout. The place is bright, clean and comfortable - a cozy setting in an old brick building on Main Street. Parking is a bit limited, but if you sneak into the lot at the supermarket next door, you'll be fine. We ordered Mexican beers while we looked over the extensive menu offerings. I'm a soup lover, so I just had to try the Sopa de Albondigas, a delicious soup made with fresh minted pork, beef meatballs, and vegetables served with diced onions and cilantro. It's hard to find good, homemade soup in a restaurant, but this was the real deal. I was a little less impressed with my entree, which was the three-way Combo Mexicali - with a beef Taco, a chicken enchilada and a chile relleno. It tasted fresh, and not at all like what you typically get at a Mexican place - smothered in greasy cheese and tomato sauce. You could actually taste each individual item. But, it lacked "punch" Some extra seasoning, a bit more flavor in the sauces - to wake it all up. My companion, though, was perfectly happy with her Quesadilla Sampler. You get three: one with peppers and tomatoes, one with spinach, and one cheese. They were served with white rice and black beans. No complaints from her - she didn't offer me a bite - I guess she wanted them all! That's a good sign. We rolled out the door after promising the friendly staff that we'd be back. Hopefully they'll add a bit of a bold touch to the flavors in the dishes before I return, because that could get them to four-star status in a heartbeat.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

Great food. The food was better than I have ever had. I am so glad that Spencer allowed them to come into this town.

Reviewed August 22, 2012

I tried this because of a Living Social coupon. I simply wasn't thrilled with the food. The service was good.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

We love this place. Delicious food. Try the fiesta burrito, you won't be disappointed. The margaritas are great. I love their guacamole and their Mexican cheese dip is my favorite. Staff has always been nothing but the bet each time we have gone-- about 8 times. Even if they are busy the wait is not long. Food comes fast. A great place to eat quick on the run or if you are the type to sit and linger after your meal. Beat restaurant around.