“Surprise in the middle of nowhere”

The Southfield Store
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Southfield
Somerville, Massachusetts
“Surprise in the middle of nowhere”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

If you find yourself in the southern Berkshires and want a good, fresh lunch, find this place. It is small. Food is fresh and wonderful. Their baked goods are great. We had them at lunch, but also with breakfast at our B & B.

Visited August 2013

West Stockbridge, Massachusetts
“Topnotch food in a fun country setting & best gnocchi ever!!”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

For the last 25 years, we have eaten almost all of our meals out so we have eaten in a LOT of restaurants. We now live in the Berkshires and eat dinner at the Southfield Store at least once a week -- including last night. (We also go for brunch almost every Sunday.) We have eaten there dozens and dozens of times and the food has always been fabulous.

I am not sure what happened with the diners below but we were shocked at their review. We have had both the chicken and the duck many times and they have always been excellent. In our experience this is topnotch, sophisticated food served in a fun, casual country setting. It is a welcoming place that treats its customers with respect, and if any problem is ever brought to their attention, they correct it immediately. The dinner wait staff tries very hard to provide good service and, since the very experienced owner is present at dinners, they succeed. We feel very lucky indeed to have this great, hidden gem of a restaurant in our area. We highly recommend it. And if you go, please have the gnocchi – it is the best on the planet – really!

Visited July 2013
3 Thank BerkshireBelle51
Parkland, Florida
“Average would be a stretch”
Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

As a summer resident of Great Barrington we are always exploring for a new place to go. Friends recommended this place so we drive the 20 min to get there. The best part was the drive thru beautiful western MA. Service and food are pretentious at best. Waiter when asked a question about an item would talk down to you as if how can you even question how the chef wants to prepare a dish. Give me a break! Menu was interesting food was a notch below average. Duck came out cold and to rare, side dish had no taste. Chicken breast was gamey and slimy. Deserts were ok, not great. As I said, the ride was the best part of the dinner.

Visited July 2013
MA
“Really good lunch, in this area!”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We tried this restaurant for lunch for the first time, having been by it a number of times. It was very good! There isn't a huge menu, and at first seems sort of empty inside, but this is not a busy area so we were not surprised. The girls working that day could not have been friendlier, and helpful. Our food was really good, and we loved the atmosphere as we sat outside on the porch. The food seems local and fresh, and the sandwiches had some great ingredients. I loved the wholesome feel to everything, and thought the food was well worth the stop!

• Visited July 2013
New York City, New York
“No Basil? No Service?”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I ordered a Capreze sandwich and a glass of Pinot Grigio. They had no Pinot Grigio and the sandwhich arrived with no basil. I politely asked the wait staff why it was taking so long to get a simply prepared sandwich and they just shrugged, and when I did get it without basil, and again politely asked where the key ingredient was I was told they "ran out." At 1:00 during lunch service?? She asked if I wanted lettuce instead. Seriously. No napkin or silverware was on the table, so I helped myself.

The pastry chef checked in a couple of times, obviously noting that I was waiting too long and at the end gave me 2 freshly baked cookies "for my troubles" and he said he was sorry for the poor service. I used to live in the Berkshires and I frequent this nice little place, and while I hope it was just an off day, I also hope they are not just living off their positive reputation. It was July 6th, and the place was not slammed by any means - it just seemed as there was no one directing the very young preparers and servers. No basil indeed. It felt like a Fawlty Towers episode.

• Visited July 2013