“Bad”

Alexander's Golden Greek
Ranked #28 of 46 Restaurants in Southbridge
Cuisines: Greek, Italian, Seafood
Reviewed October 30, 2012

I ordered a BLT sub which was more bread than meat. The bacon was thinly sliced, limp and greasy. They even toasted the veggies which made the sandwich even worse and mushy. The food was very good years ago but not anymore!

Reviewed September 23, 2012

Wife had a meatball sub and I had a gyro. It did not take too long to get the order and the food quality was good. The waitress was a little slow but very nice and friendly. I enjoyed the gyro and the wife enjoyed the meatball sub.

Reviewed January 20, 2012

Me and my husband have been going here since we moved to town (8 yrs). We are a young couple. My husband loves their lasanga and pizzas. I love their antipasta salad and the gyros. The owner is nice and remembers us everytime we walk in! Sometimes service and wait time is slow but we take in to consideration that they aren't the busiest, or over staffed like most places. We just dont mind. Their prices are not bad either.

1  Thank Mommylamparth
Reviewed September 24, 2011

Southbridge is a craphole of a town. Goldengreek is the crappy jewel. It's was great in the 70's and 80's in the 90's it started going down hill. Now it just sucks. Last time I ordered, it took 2 hours to get our food and the pizza was burnt black. We need to get rid of all the pizza and chinese joints and get some variety in this town. If your in southbridge go get Thai on charlton st or fried chicken at crown on hamilton s. Iif you want pizza go to pizza chef or Geno's if you want Chinese go to Dynasty. Golden Greek needs to step it up or when the old gambling drunks that frequent this place die Golden Greek will be a thing of the past.

2  Thank Moocowher
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Alexander's Golden Greek has been around for many years. It's on the route most people take from this area toward Interstate 395, so I've passed it a hundred times. A lover of Greek food, I decided to make a stop this week and was disappointed.

The decor is a hoot. It was probably done in the seventies along a Greek Pantheon theme. The separate bar with cathedral ceiling is all done in blue with a painting of Zeus discretely covered by a cloud in his mid regions on one end of the room and the Acropolis on the other. The floor is inlaid with small ceramic tiles utilizing a Greek key motif. The room is furnished with faux marble tables and swivel tufted blue vinyl chairs with casters. There is seating at the bar and at tables and the patrons in this room were pretty focused on betting at Keno. The dining room was empty so we ate in the bar.

I expected the menu to feature Greek food like Moussaka, Souvlaki, or Pastitsio after all the decor and the Greek sign, but the only item was a gyro which I ordered. My companion ordered a veal cutlet sandwich. The food came promptly, but the gyro wasn't authentic. The pieces were pre-packaged and ready to go into the fryer or oven instead of freshly sliced. So I guess it was my fault for expecting more than the place could offer.

If you want a quick bite to eat in campy Greek surroundings, this is not really a bad place, but if you have a hankering for Greek food, forget about it.