“Friendly atmosphere”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Southbridge
Vienna Historic Inn and Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Southbridge B&B and Inns
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
“Friendly atmosphere”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We had a pleasant stay, and enjoyed the evening, and the great breakfast. On arrival, we were shown to our room, and each time we left or entered were greeted by the friendly staff. I wish we had the opportunity to have dinner at the restaurant, as the breakfast was great.

When we were first showed to our room, we were given a brief history of the inn, and found it quite interesting. The suite was well appointed and comfortable, both the sitting room and the bedroom were great!

Due to unscheduled issues, we needed to make a last minute change of dates, and we truly appreciate the efforts Lisa made to accommodate us.

We will definitely stay here if our journeys bring us to the area again!

Room Tip: The ground floor room was nice with our bad knees. The space heater kept the suite very comfortable...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
gardener1Sturbridge, Owner at Vienna Historic Inn and Restaurant, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
It is great to hear that you had such a marvelous time! It is our goal to make sure each guest feels right at home while staying at our Inn. Those heaters are quite handy, it's great to hear that they helped keep you comfortable. :) We would love to see you again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Charlestown, Rhode Island
Reviewed January 2, 2013 via mobile

Owner Lisa and her wonderful staff made our New Year celebration perfect! We dined in front of a blazing marble fireplace. Our server easily pleased every taste bud, young and older in our party. The champagne, wine, and other beverages were superb. The food presentation was outstanding. We enjoyed potato pancakes with sour cream and roasted candied apples, jäger schnitzel, bratwurst, knock wurst, and buttery spatzel. For dessert we enjoyed mint and red velvet holiday cake and white German chocolate cake with some of the best marzipan I've ever tasted.The ambiance was purely European sophistication and so cozy at the same time. We didn't want our stay to end. We will be going back to Vienna again and again. We feel lucky to have found an authentic German/Swiss establishment in southern Massachusetts. I felt like I was dining in Bavaria where I worked and lived years ago.The Inn had hard to find Bitburger Pils as well as Mosel River Reisling to name only a few great imports found here. Thank you Lisa for your magnificent food, service, atmosphere, and lodging.

• Stayed January 2013
Reviewed December 3, 2012

We've eaten at The Vienna on a variety of occasions: holidays, business travel, family gatherings. We've stayed in the Königzimmer and the Freudzimmer, as well. I cannot say enough good things about The Vienna. The owners are cheerful, hardworking, and doting. The staff is really concerned with the well-being and comfort of their guests. There's a gorgeous standard poodle named Skeeter who basically made me feel like I was at home, missing, as I was, my own furry friends (he's a good ambassador). Lisa and Jonathan, on our most recent trip, really accommodated us in ways that went above and beyond the call of innkeeperly duty. How? Well, this trip was not a very happy one; we had to make an emergency visit from the West Coast to do some difficult, intensive elder care, and needed a quiet, homey place to crash for a week. Lisa and Jonathan and the rest of the crew made sure we were pampered with a beautiful suite, food served up in our room, and nobody was ever mad at us for being late to breakfast (these people have the patience of saints, I swear).

Every time we go, there are new decor pieces and new decorating themes for the season; since we were there around Thanksgiving, an autumnal harvest look felt very warm and inviting. They were doing Thanksgiving dinner, and I only wish I could be there for Christmas and New Year's! I bet they do it up right.

My favorite things I've eaten at The Vienna: wild boar, Wienerschnitzel, Linzer torte, duck au poivre, and spätzel. Also their super excellent hard German toasting bread, sliced epically thin and served with lots of butter and jam...that's breakfast, in my opinion!

If you have an awesome sense of humor and enjoy life, try the Freudzimmer. It's just so much fun in there. There are a ton of Freud artifacts and a beautiful array of sensual art pieces, plus they've even got a massage chair! It slept three people comfortably in two connected rooms.

Best of all, I've been to Austria, and stayed in Vienna (in German, it's spelled "Wien") - you're not going to get a better Austro-Hungarian food and inn-culture experience outside of Austria than you will at The Vienna.

Room Tip: If you have an awesome sense of humor and enjoy life, try the Freudzimmer. It's just so much fun...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Both my wife and myself stayed over on Nov 20th. We were greeted my Melissa, and I will say what a wonderful job she did for us. The room was perfect , the dinner excellent, and the breakfast in the morning topped off a great experience. We can't wait to go back.

Steve & Pam

Wales, Massachusetts
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Our stay at the Vienna Inn was a delight and one we would like to repeat again someday. From the moment we walked in the door we were well cared for and the staff was anxious to make sure we have everything we wanted or needed. We absolutely loved the building and enjoyed listening to Jonathan tell us of it's history. We were also absorbed in the architecture and in the decorations and spend considerable time wandering from room to room trying to take everything in. Our suite was beautifully decorated and the bedding very very comfortable. For breakfast we let Jonathan surprise us and it was absolutely wonderful. We are looking forward to visiting again for dinner.

New Hampshire
Reviewed November 16, 2012

I should begin by saying I have never stayed at an inn of this type, generally preferring hotels. This was a very wonderful experience. The food and atmosphere was very comfortable and relaxing. The bed was great but most of all Lisa and Jonathan made it a good weekend. Sitting outside by the fire on a fall evening with a warm drink was a nice treat. I would not recommend children but it was a great couples weekend. I would go back anytime!

Room Tip: The Blumenzimmer suite was extremely comfortable and quiet, being on the first floor with a private...
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I went to the Vienna on a business trip. I found myself absorbed in the ambience and the food. After a long day of meetings and frustration it was a perfect escape to forget about everything. Great room and extremely comfortable bed. I feel asleep and stayed asleep all night. The gourmet breakfast was out of this world! Great Job.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Southbridge
Southbridge Hotel And Conference Center
Old Sturbridge Inn & Reeder Family Lodges
Scottish Inn Sturbridge
Scottish Inn Sturbridge
#6 of 14 in Sturbridge

Been to Vienna Historic Inn and Restaurant? Share your experiences!