“Amazing!!”

Metro Bistrot
Ranked #2 of 45 Restaurants in Southbridge
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Metro Bistrot is a regional French-style bistrot in southern Worcester County serving food originating from the head cook's--Marie-Paule Marthe's--southernwestern French family.
Dudley, Massachusetts
“Amazing!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014 via mobile

I have become a regular and have never been disappointed! The food is excellent and consistent every time! What a great find! Be sure to make a reservation if you want to get in. And coax the owner to perform an aria for you if it's not too busy (towards the end of the night). Fun!! She's amazing!

• Visited January 2014
4 Thank JerryinMass

Holland, Massachusetts, United States
“Surprising on many fronts”
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

So, let me start by saying that I have apparently never been to a bistro. I was truly expecting a candle lit place that served roast beef sandwiches and burgers. What I got instead was very different. A tiny hole in the wall type of restaurant with a Southern French style. Much fancier than I was expecting. Sat at the table to find that the menu was in French with English descriptions of food. Never having eaten any of the items, I literally chose the Ratatouille because I liked the Disney movie. I was concerned that this was the type of place that I may end up stopping for a burger on my way home. Food arrived, and I was hesitant, but tried it. Wow, an explosion of taste and texture! Apparently ratatouille is eggplant, peppers, zucchini and a little tomato with cheese on top. I don't really like these things separately, but It was incredible! My husband had trout, which he raved about. My 16 and 11 year old boys both had something that was similar to shepherd's pie. After 2 bites my 11 year old looked at me and said "Wow, I could come back here again!" And then-get this- my 16 year old agreed!!
After we took a few bites the proprietor came to the table to "introduce" the table, meaning that he spoke about the origins of each of he foods, and how each was prepared. He discovered that we hadn't been there previously, so he brought out a couple of samples of other dishes that we hadn't ordered, and then his wife sang for us. This may not sound like a big deal, but it stopped the house. She is a professional singer actually from France. There was a server who joined her singing who was also incredible.
Dessert had many options, I tried the chocolate mousse, which was a deeper more rich chocolate than I have had in a long time. Absolutely incredible.
So, what started out as a surprise actually ended in a surprise- with how much I enjoyed dinner!
So, a few things to know- it is BYOB, they do not serve alcohol. There is actually a list of local package stores and some suggestions for types of wine on the menu. Also, I would not bring young children, or children who are not very well behaved to this restaurant. It is a very small restaurant, and kids who are not old enough to sit quietly would be very disruptive.
Incredible food, fantastic hosts, beautiful atmosphere. I definitely recommend this restaurant.

Visited January 2014
4 Thank Heather B
Southbridge, Massachusetts
“Excellent European flavor”
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We visited this place for lunch and really enjoyed it. The atmosphere was European and the food delicious. The owner/host and his wife were very friendly and accomadating and we enjoyed the experience.That said we did find it a bit pricy.

• Visited October 2013
3 Thank Dino T
Southbridge, Massachusetts
“Thoughtfully Procured; Care-fully Prepared”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

A strip mall in central Massachusetts is hardly where we expected to encounter the best French food we've ever eaten; but that's exactly what we found at this relatively new addition to the Southbridge restaurant scene. Just walking through the door is a transporting experience. The owners have managed to capture the feeling of a spot in Southern France from half-a-world away. The Bistrot provides photos for this special dining place and the current menu of authentic French cooking online. Our dinner was with precious friends who were comfortable in sharing, so we got tastes of assorted menu items. The ragout de chevre, crepe de fruit de mer, and cassoulet just don't come any better! On return trips it would be tempting to sample other selections from the appetizer and dessert sections of the menu besides the gratin d'escargots and mango sorbet but once you've encountered perfection, it's hard to move on.
The owners and staff have and succeed in making a meal here a comfortable and delicious experience. The freshest ingredients (thoughtfully and locally procured) combined with authentic cooking ( family recipes executed with care) make us want to return again and again. "We arrived as guests and left as family." is a trite statement that I reluctantly use, but for Metro Bistrot, that's what happened for us and likely will for you too if you chose to adventure to this hidden gem.

• Visited November 2013
5 Thank andesalive
Cotuit, Massachusetts
“Just Fabulous”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

A friend discovered this through the local grapevine and took me for lunch last week. Escargot and a seafood crepe to die for. The proprietors are engaging and friendly. Bring a bottle of your favorite wine, relax and enjoy this treasure in Southbridge!

• Visited October 2013