“Awful! Awful! Awful!”

Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Middletown, CT
“Awful! Awful! Awful!”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

When my husband and I first walked into our room, we both gasped and were overwhelmed by a terrible odor. We were running late and needed to change in our room quickly. We only spent a couple minutes in the room, but the odor remained overpowering. The room smelled like sewage! The bathroom sink had toothpaste stains, the bathtub was stained with a black ring and the toilet was not flushed...if you know what I mean?! We gathered all of our belongings and headed out the door. We called the front desk from the car and asked if they could move us to another room because the odor was so foul. The woman who answered the phone was incredibly rude and couldn't understand what I was saying. When I told her that we wanted to change the room due to the smell, she replied, "Well, no one else is complaining." Seriously! I told her to go down and smell it herself and requested again, to change rooms. She then said, "We are completely booked, as you can see, we are a popular hotel. We don't have another room available." She offered no apology or offer to check the room. That's when I lost it. She finally admitted that they had one king-size room available, but it had no windows. (If you read the other reviews, you will hear about the room with no windows). We told her to hold it for us, just in case. We then tried to find another hotel in the area, but everything was booked up. Also, because there were other wedding guests staying there, my friend arranged for a shuttle to bring us to the reception. When we checked back at the desk to inquire about the shuttle, the same woman said that she didn't know anything about it. (Later we found out that there WAS a shuttle?!!) Argh! After the ceremony, we ran back to the hotel to check out the room with no windows. We went from sewage to mildew. But, unfortunately, we were stuck. We checked the bed and the bathroom and the room seemed to be recently cleaned. Thankfully, we were spending only one night. Early the next morning (5:30-6:00), we heard slamming doors and loud voices outside the room with no windows. I heard someone approaching our room and then I heard the same woman's voice, say "No! someone is in there". The couple, who I assume were the proprietors, argued outside our door. I couldn't understand what they were saying, but I got the sense that the man was not happy that we were in there. This was a very disappointing and poorly run facility, with sub-par customer service.

Room Tip: Stay away from the room with no windows and the rooms that allow dogs.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CTraveler0

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Arrived late on Friday night and got up for an early Nantucket ferry. Came back on late Nantucket ferry and checked out first thing next morning. It seems like an older hotel that has been refurbished a bit. Carpets, bedding, etc were newer. Wood furniture was new. Walls had old wallpaper and bathroom was old and tiny. Seemed clean. Room had an antiseptic smell. My room had a window that looked out onto hallway, which made it a little odd. Chose the hotel for the price and last-minute availability. If I do the same itinerary again, I'll try somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Stayed two nights recently, and mostly agree with TSal1: you get what you pay for. Our stay was fine; we've stayed there before and had no surprises this time (maybe because we're not 'high maintenance'). Management was friendly, room cleaned ok, bathroom good size, air conditioner noisy (we decided to ignore the noise rather than ask to switch rooms), no great TV service-but you should be at the beach anyway. Breakfast was adequate for the price, if it's not crowded, as ours was so we went elsewhere. Indoor pool got a lot of use and kids liked to use it; outdoor pool was used too, and people seemed to be okay with all that.

Room Tip: Perhaps rooms on the south side are quieter, but frankly we did no have any problem with outside noi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 4, 2012

I recently stayed at this property for a vacation in cape it had nice and clean modern rooms with good decent breakfast. The most important thing was its customer service I checked in late night during a heavy rain storm and I was greeted by its owner who was friendly and professional so as the other staff . I will recommend this property to everyone while visiting Hyannis area.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank ChasmeBadur
Reviewed July 27, 2012 via mobile

Small bathrooms, sub par free breakfast, rooms could be cleaner. This hotel is one of the less expensive ones in the area and there's a reason for it. Pool was across the parking lot from the hotel. Several times no one was at the desk when we were looking for them, so I'd say customer service not all that great.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for four nights. The rooms were not clean and the customer service was subpar at best. The manager resurfaced the parking lot and got tar all over my car!!!! The bathrooms are smaller than a closet. I would recommend the Hampton Inn Suites. Don't waste your time or money on this hotel. Very disappointed!!!!!

• Stayed June 2012
2 Thank Paulawi1226

Travelers are raving about these South Yarmouth hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2012

The Ambassador Inn and Suites was a perfect weekend getaway to the Cape.

The hotel is really nice and clean. They had a continental breakfast; including hard boiled eggs and hot waffles and I loved the blueberry yoghurt!

There is a indoor and an outdoor pool. I liked the one inside and not to mention the hot tub!
Staff was friendly and kool. Housekeeping did a great job.

Will I return to the hotel? - Yes, definitely

Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth
All Seasons Resort
All Seasons Resort
#10 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Ambassador Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!