“Great Food! Extreme wait!”

Thuan LOI Restaurant
Cuisines: Vietnamese
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed August 1, 2013

I will start by saying the food was fantastic and if it wasn't I would have given it a 2 rating!
Based on the other reviews we decided that we were fished out and wanted some "regular" food.
It was just down the road from us so I went down with my 4 yr old. This was a mistake! When we arrived there were 2 tables there and us in the restaurant. We placed our order and were told "15 minutes". After an unbelievable 45 minutes later we finally received our to go order! We were not he only ones in this scenario, it seems as though whether you phoned in or sat down the wait was tremendous. I don't know what happened but the food just wasn't coming out of the kitchen. They must have had a bad night.
I will say however that the food was great! We ordered the Pho, fresh Spring Rolls, House Fried Rice, White Rice, and Vermicelli Special. Everything was fresh, flavorful, and well prepared. Also some of the best real chicken I have ever had in Pho!
If you want to try some great food, this is the place, just prepare for a wait.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

A delightful, unpretentious, small place, family-run. Have been there just once and regret that we don't have time to go back on this visit to the Cape. Food was excellent, and the owners were extremely friendly and went out of their way to provide advice and tips about particular dishes (in which they obviously take great and justified pride). Everything is cooked from scratch with very fresh ingredients, and you can tell from the flavors. Food prep was not fast (but not unreasonably slow either)-- owners apologized for the wait and explained that it was because everything is cooked to order. We will definitely be back, and highly recommend.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

I love this place! No trip to the cape is ever complete for me without a stop at Thuan LOI. It is family run (and they all are very involved in the running of this restaurant) with wonderful food. I find the food the equal (or better) than the big name Vietnamese places in Boston. My mouth waters just thinking about the Hot and Sour Soup, and I could eat a dozen of the Vegetarian Fresh Rolls.

Couple things to note – they close after New Years and typically open again in late April. Although it is clean and comfortable, it is not the place for a romantic, white tablecloth, fancy dinner. Food comes out when ready – so your party may get it at slightly different times. You can choose the spiciness of your food on a 1 – 5 scale. I am a fan of hot food and I usually pick a 3 or a 4. Also, they do serve wine and beer - enjoy!

1  Thank EWZ
Reviewed May 15, 2013

You know you are in a hot spot when the locals are regulars, and that is what it was like when we went for an early dinner and saw the regulars pouring in. I've eaten here before and always want to come back when I'm on the Cape. The owner is a South Vietnamese Regular Army veteran who escaped to the US (eventually) after a harrowing 15 days adrift at sea on a boat without power, where many died. The restaurant boasts Vietnamese and Chinese, and the proprietor is 1/2 Chinese and 1/2 Vietnamese, so he comes by both cuisines honestly. It is an entirely family-run enterprise with the sons and the wife in the back cooking, waiting tables, etc.
This restaurant serves classic Vietnamese food, from the Hanoi Beef Soup (Pho Bo) to fresh, rice paper wrapper, spring rolls to shrimp and rice noodle dishes, all with savory nước chấm sauces. I cook Vietnamese style food, and this authentic restaurant is just what the doctor ordered for that South East Asian food fix.

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Needed my Vietnamese fix and found it and more at this restaurant. Food was incredible and a few of the family members, who own and operate it, were so friendly and knowledgeable about the food. I ordered the Vietnamese crepe and was so surprised at this delightful meal - a crispy crepe with shrimp, pork, and bean sprouts, with a wonderful sauce. You cut pieces off the crepe, wrap it in a leaf of lettuce, and dunk in another great sauce. To die for!!! My husband ordered a calamari salad - very tender and well cooked over lettuce. Delish. Definitely I will go back.

1  Thank Eleanor J