“A very nice vacation”

Blue Water on the Ocean
Ranked #6 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Reviewed August 19, 2013

First, this facility is dog-friendly, which is what attracted us to it in the first place (though we have stayed at other Red Jacket resorts before and been happy with our accommodations) and I have to say we saw only one other dog. I am going to write about the suites. We loved the place. We stayed 2 nights and were allowed to use the facilities the 3rd day. We did. The beach was lovely, pool, facilities were in bloom with flowers everywhere, warm beach towels plentiful. Coffee was available 24/7. Our bed mattress definitely could have used an upgrade; it was not a good mattress. The kitchen was very good. Some people on this site have complained about the rooms: There are all sorts of rooms there: suites such as ours, then motel-like accommodations behind the main office, then some more rooms in a main building (where the restaurant, dinner bar and indoor pools are located). There are rooms off of the parking lot and closer to the road and I would imagine that that's an entirely different experience from ours. You are going to thus find variation. I can say the suites were great, more private, away from the parking lot; the grounds were lovely with all sorts of flowering plants, hydrangeas, etc., in bloom, and were well maintained. The service was excellent. There was a full day's schedule for kids; one evening was a marshmallow roast on the beach. Lovely. As in many places, some front desk people were lovely and others were so so, but our needs were always met. Right next door was the Riviera Hotel, also part of Red Jacket, and our grandchildren spent time there in the spectacular kiddie pool. After our weekend getaway, we felt like we'd gotten the R&R we wanted. Would we stay there again? Yes, absolutely.

Some of the rooms are dog-friendly, which is why we chose this particular resort. Sure you are paying a lot, but they allow dogs over 25 lbs and they allow the dog to remain alone in the room, and very few places allow that. Another plus. Most of the dog-friendly rooms are off of the parking lot but some are available closer to the beach, so you have to ask and pay accordingly. All in all, we paid a lot for our 2 nights and 3 days, but we really got what we were looking for.

2  Thank JaneBoSox
John V, General Manager at Blue Water on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

We are thrilled you enjoyed your time while viisting the Riviera Beach and Blue Water Resorts! Thank you again for staying and we hope to see you here or in The White Mountains of New Hampshire!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

My family of four just returned home from Blue Water. Very nice and love the beach right there. Only if we had nice weather. The price for two nights costed $700.00 with a hidden $20.00 resort fee each night you stay. But i do have to say the college kids work their butts off at the beach every day to help you with chairs etc. I think they work the hardest. Very one very nice expect for the fron counter I agree they are not happy campers. YOu need very friendly greetings at a resort when you have driven 3 to 4 hours to be welcomed here. Location great I just wish they had some shopping or a few stores on the property. We only had one car and when the guys went golfing me and my daughter were stuck there and the day was cold and cloudy. Yes I would return - most workers were friendly and my husband loved the Lobster Roll!

1  Thank Lemrac333

Thank you for your recent stay and we try day and night to offer a great value while you visit Cape Cod. The resorts all have tremendous locations, private beachs, impeccable landscaping and grounds and a very polite and friendly staff! We all hope to see you back again soon!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

The recent review about front desk was not an anomaly. I have never stayed at a hotel where the front desk staff were less helpful and less knowledgeable than at Blue Water. We have asked about the scheduled activities and they don't have any details. Fishing? Don't know, but a lot of people do it. We are not looking for concierge service, but simple answers. And it's not that there was a crowd at the desk.
We reserved a "property view" room. Didn't realize that would be a view of the parking lot. AND that it is a "pet-friendly" room, even though we did not bring pets. I asked for another room. Front desk said, "room is cleaned even better than our regular rooms.... But if you have an allergy, we can move you." No allergies, but don't like being in a dog room. (Will add that the room IS clean, housekeeper has been great, but carpet needs washing). Wish we could sit outside--all the non-pet rooms have chairs outside. Asked again about moving on day 2. Nothing available-- "maybe tomorrow."
All along I knew we were paying for the beach, which is wonderful, and didn't expect 4 star room or service. But it would have been nice to get the room I thought I reserved AND to have more helpful and friendly people at the front desk.

Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank K R

Thank you for your stay and we do appreciate the review of your experience. I actually did some research and our front desk remember's speaking with you regarding local activities. It is important for us to be knowledgable with regards to all Cape Cod activities that our guest's wish to engage in . After your rveiew we took some extra time to become even more familiar with each and every fishing charter locally and even went as far as learning which fish are where at what time of the day. Hopefully when you return we can offer a better suggestion when asked about fishing the local waters!

Reviewed August 7, 2013

Just spent 4 days at the Blue Water. The hotel has a basic pool, pool bar, restaurant and motel style rooms that are reasonably up to date and clean. This is not the Four Seasons but if you are going just to get the seaside experience you will be fairly happy. The beach is great as is the location with lots of restaurants and attractions near by. Prices are pretty high for what you get but it seems likely they are 'market' for this sort of place.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms are not really full view unless you are at the very end of the hotel literally...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mayzie1

Thank you for your recent stay and for taking the time to review your experience here at Blue Water. Every member of our team strives hard to provide excellent service and enhance your vacation. We all hope you return to visit us again!

Reviewed August 5, 2013

Our family of 4 has been staying at the South Yarmouth Red Jacket properties every summer for about 10 years. When my kids were young we stayed at the Riviera Beach. Once they were about 10, we started going to the Red Jacket Beach. We most recently stayed at the Blue Water this past weekend for a brief one night stay.Now here are some things to know about the Blue Water:
1. The clientele is largely adults with no kids or adults with older kids (15 and up). There are very few kids under the age of 15 at this hotel.
2. The housekeeping staff is mezza mezza at best. They are very unfriendly and do a average to below average job cleaning the room. Our bathroom sink was not cleaned prior to our arrival nor was our bathroom stocked appropriately with towels.
3. Do not show up early thinking you are going to be able to check in prior to 3PM. You cant. There is NO chance you can do this during the summer. If you do show up early, use the facilities and just be happy you can do that. I am serious. Do not harass the front desk. Now with that being said,the front desk is a worn down beaten down group of individuals who are so tired of dealing with people looking to check in early, check out late, change their rooms etc that you will not see them smile. Nope. Not once. I almost felt bad for these folks but it is their job so maybe service with a smile ?

Folks need to know the Red Jacket resorts aren't Ritz Carlton luxurious type properties. They are $300+ a night type places that offer a clean safe room with nice pools and a nice beach. There are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat. Without a doubt, the Red Jacket properties are the nicest hotels in the Yarmouth area. They offer banana boat rides, jet ski rentals etc.

Its a fun place. The Blue Water attracts more of the drinking crowd. Thus the pool bar is open until 11PM.

Would I stay here again? Yes. The not so friendly staff wont scare me away. Would it be nice if they were more friendly? Sure but they didn't make or break my time here.

One pet peave for this place is their new ridiculous towel card policy. Annoying. You have to check out your towels and return them at the end of the day to get your card back or be charged $25.00 a towel. Ugh. Really ? You cant pay some high school or college kid $10 bucks an hour to walk around and pick up the towels left behind for $300+ a night?

It should be noted all of the red jacket properties recently bought new beach lounge chairs which are quite comfortable so kudos to them for that. I actually found the folks dragging those chairs out for everyone to be some of the nicest staff. Not an easy job and they were very friendly and smiled.

The Blue Water is a good place and I would stay here again.

3  Thank HelloFromBoston
GMRivieraBeach, General Manager at Blue Water on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2013

Thank you for staying with us and we are sorry you encountered one of our staff member's who did not offer friendly polite service. It has always been very important to us to hear great remarks about our service. The remainder of your review certainly pointed out numerous items we do well and i am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay and that you plan to return. One last note regarding the towel card policy, it may seem a bit of a bother however after extensive travel, and research, we found many other resorts utilizing similar programs with great success. We felt that as an ocean front resort catering to hundreds of guest's it was imperative to create a program wherby we could offer clean towels to all our guests all day long. In order to do this correctly a system had to implemented. This is our third season now and we have heard very little dissatisfaction with the program. We apologize if using a card was a bother however it does promote immediate availability for all our registered guest to have clean towels all day long. We appreciate your business very much and hopefully my explanations help clarify why certain programs exist. Hope you enjoy the remainder of your summer season.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Resort is centrally located between Cape Cod attractions and the ferries to the islands. The beach is nice and large. There are no waves in the ocean in this area. It is like being at a lake.
Resort has lots of ammenities. Beach chairs, umbrellas, and towels are provided. There are both indoor and outdoor pools and a putting green. There is a beach bar and a pub bar. In the summer, dinner is served at the beach bar 2 nights a week and in the dining room the rest of the week. Menu is a bit small and gets rather repetative. Dinner selections are reasonably priced, but breakfast items are a bit expensive. Taste of food varied. The lobster mac & cheese was DELICIOUS! The lobster roll was rather bland the first time we had one, but tasted better another day. Burgers and salads were very good. The corned beef hash was totally different from any I've ever had before and not that good. While the BBQ ribs and hash brown potatoes were way too spicy and just disgusting. You can dine at the other Red Jacket resorts in the area for more variety.
I didn't like that guests had to wear an armband during their stay. I didn't think I was staying at an all-inclusive in the Caribbean. The only good thing about this is that you can use the facilities at the other Red Jacket resorts in the area, and the public can't get in. Just make your band big enough to slip on and off.
We had an oceanfront efficiency and had a large spacious room with a nice balcony overlooking the ocean. It was nice to have a table and chairs on the balcony so we could have our meals outside.
The room appeared to be recently renovated. The carpet and furnishings appeared to be fairly new. We were supposed to have 2 doubles, but had a murphy bed and 2 twin beds. The kids were happy to have their own beds. I was skeptical of the murphy bed, but it was surprising comfortable. We also had a LARGE selection of pillows and I was pleased to find one I loved.
Bathroom was a good size and the maid left a good supply of linens and toiletries. I was VERY unhappy that the maid service did not include washing dishes! I've never been to a hotel that didn't.
Resort is very family oriented. Our kids found many new friends to play with. If you are looking for a romantic getaway this probably isn't the place for you.
I find very few places that I would be interested in staying at again, but I would like to return to Cape Cod someday, and will consider another stay at this resort.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank HUSKERTRAVELER

Thank you for your recent stay and also for taking time to write a review of your visit. The Blue Water offers a great family getaway located directly on the warm waters of Nantucket Sound. The staff and manager's strive daily to exceed our guest 's every expectation and offer clean comfortable guest rooms. We hope to see you back again soon.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Me and my wife just spent a weekend here and we really enjoyed it. The Blue Water Resort is located right on the beach and also offers both indoor and outdoor pools. Although we were not able to walk to any of the attractions we were interested in, they were truly only a 5-10 minute ride by car. Really not a problem for us and should not be for you. For the most part the staff was friendly except for the head bartender Barbara, she was rude and very unfriendly. Oh and did I mention unprofessional, she literally charged me three different prices on three consecutive occasions for the same drink order. The rooms were nice, clean and comfortable,much nicer then other rooms I have stayed in at beach resorts. Worth a stay , but if you decide to go for a cocktail avoid Barbara the head bartender, she is a buzz kill.

Room Tip: Room 179 is on the corner and very private.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Jim J
GMRivieraBeach, General Manager at Blue Water on the Ocean, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

Thank you for your recent stay and also for taking the time to review your experience while you were here. I have looked into your complaint about our staff member and will attempt to use your comments as a way of pointing out a guest's perspective of our service. We ceratinly hope you will return and enjoy all we have to offer and we will work on the areas of service you have mentioned.Enjoy the remainder of your summer!

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Yarmouth
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#9 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Blue Water on the Ocean? Share your experiences!