We found the accommodations and activities at Blue Water lacking for the price we paid. We are inexperienced Cape Cod travelers so please take our comments with that in mind.
Our room was a two bedroom suite near the beach. The room was old and dated. The beds were uncomfortable and small. The equipment in the room is showing its age.
For a resort, and we have been to a few over the years, we didn't find it all that resorty! The front desk staff were very professional and helpful but the resort staff didn't seem that knowledgeable or engaged/outgoing. We would ask Red Jacket staff questions and they didn't know the answers. Some staff were more interested in chatting with each other than engaging with the guests. At other resorts we have been to, the staff are very enthusiastic and outgoing and work hard to make you feel welcome, answer your questions and make sure that you are having a good time.
I think a better orientation procedure when you arrive would have been greatly appreciated. Perhaps even engaging one of the 'loitering' staff to take guests to their rooms and walk them through where things are and what's happening this week and taking note of the guests and offering other suggestions ("Oh, I see you have kids, we have a great kids program - it meets here - and you will have a great time!"... something like that)
I must say that the friendliest people we interacted with were the housekeeping staff. Friendly, welcoming, engaged... great staff... deserving of a significant tip!
The beach was nice and the towels, chairs and umbrellas was a great bonus but I wouldn't say that it made me feel that I had gotten my monies worth.
Our biggest complaint was one of poor timing... (we were in room 520) we had a deck area that was located next to what looked like the maintenance room below us. It was where they stored their BBQs.
It was 8:30AM - we were having a quiet moment, morning coffee, soaking in Cape Cod's greatness - ocean air, etc...
and it started...
power washing BBQs below us (the staff saw us on our deck - they could have said - "Sorry, we need to do this now..." an acknowledgement would have been appreciated)...
and then a staff member hammering some wood on another deck down - AT 8:30AM!!!!
and the final 'nail' as it were...
a lawn mower starting up and mowing the lawn right beside us...
I'm sure that all these things needed to be attended to... but when I'm on vacation... 8:30AM isn't when I would want such things to start up...
In my business... it is often considered rude to call a client at 8:30AM... even if they are expected to be at work at this time. Let's wait until a little after 9AM at least... Just my thought.
Other than that... we felt like we were paying for location rather than resort. And maybe that is what you are paying for. I just felt that we would have been more comfortable at one of the many hotels nearby... but then again... no ocean front and private beach... like I say... amateur Cape Coders... we will likely try something different next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on 500 feet of private sandy beach on the warm waters of Nantucket Sound, Blue Water is the ideal resort for a family vacation, a romantic getaway, or an extended family gathering. The resort boasts 113 guest rooms and cottages, most with patio or balcony featuring stunning ocean and garden views. Offering food and beverage services in the dining room and lounge, as well as catering for private parties of up to 75 people. Also, our popular beach side Cabana Bar & Grill serves food and drink favorites during the summer season. In addition to the private beach, resort amenities include indoor and outdoor heated pools,basketball court, putting green, and game arcade. Kids’ Klub, a supervised children’s program is offered during summer season along with a full complement of family activities, bonfire nights, fun clowns, magic and pirate adventure weeks and musical entertainment throughout the summer season on a complimentary basis. Open from late April until late October. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Otel, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Orbitz, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and getaroom.com so you can book your Blue Water on the Ocean reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Blue Water On The Ocean Hotel South Yarmouth
- Best Western South Yarmouth
- South Yarmouth Best Western
- Blue Water On The Ocean Cape Cod/South Yarmouth, MA