“Poor Customer Service Experience - DO NOT BOOK HERE”

Cape Cod Irish Village
Ranked #2 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Reviewed August 15, 2012

After booking this hotel through hotels.com, when I attempted to cancel the reservation with hotels.com less than 24 hours after making the reservation, I was advised by the hotels.com representative that the Hotel Management refused to cancel the reservation and thus I would have to pay a bill for a hotel room that will not be used. However, when I contacted the Hotel Manager (Jack) to discuss this, I was advised that Jack refused to cancel this reservation on a night when most hotels in Nantucket are sold out because hotels.com would not adjust a policy for them so they refused to allow hotels.com to cancel this reservation.

I travel approximately 150 nights per year throughout the US for business, am a former hotel Manager on Duty, and I have never experienced at any other hotel such a lack of willingness to work with a customer with this situation - particularly on a night when their management will resell the same room to a walk in for twice the rate that I have been charged.

If this is the type of experience received in the reservation handling process, I suspect that the rest of their staff will exhibit the same poor customer service to guests and will assure that my business network is aware that this is a property to stay far far away from.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Michelle_D_Babb

Reviewed August 15, 2012

im 26 and ive been going to the villlage since i was a baby. my grandparents and mom since the 70s. I was just there a few days ago. although i disapproved of the move it has now grown on me. same people, same atmosphere so its not that bad. In all my years of going there i have never encountered the things people are saying here. ive stayed in the cottages and prbly 30 diff rooms and have never seen it. yes a little out-dated but ive never seen bugs or felt like it was dirty and im a very clean person. i think first timers expect a marriot like hotel but being the opposite is what makes the village special. I recommend it, always have. food is good and music is even better, fintan stanley is the man (yip yip). ive known alot of the staff since i was a little boy and they cudnt be nicer. if your thinking of going, go, you wont regret it. all you haters out there can pog mo thoin.

Room Tip: rooms up top have balcony
1  Thank john g
Reviewed August 12, 2012

staff are very friendly and accomidating. Rooms are old and need a little TLC, but nothing that would keep me from going back again. Food is good, music nice. Indoor pool is extremely large. Love the breakfast. Quick service.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 234. It is closest to the smoking area by the bar. You can hear people talkin...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank ginedog
Reviewed August 10, 2012

Just got back from a stay at the Irish Village and I can't recommend it enough. Don't let the divas and their negative reviews turn you away from this place. If you're a foodie in search of exotic meals and a room with state of the art amenities, you'll be disappointed. If you simply want to go to sleep at night in a clean room with a full belly, you'll be more than satisfied.

First of all, they offer great package deals. The one we were on gave us breakfast each morning and dinner each night at their on-site restaurant. Despite the fact that we were on a meal package we were able to order off of the full restaurant menu, not some "special" menu for food plan people. Dinner included an appetizer, soup or salad, entree, dessert, and coffee/tea...we never left hungry! I can't speak to the other menu choices, but I stuck to the Irish dishes and can tell you that they serve the best shepherd's pie I've ever eaten, even, dare I say, better than my Irish grandma's.

The rooms are not state-of-the-art but they are what I expected a standard hotel room to be. Most importantly, they're clean and well maintained.

The staff and owners may well be the best part of the place. Every member of the housekeeping staff greeted us with a smile and a "hello" every time we passed them in the hallway. The owners were friendly, accommodating, and genuinely Irish...it's not some touristy gimmick, they're the real deal.

I've done a good deal of traveling and, for the money, you can't go wrong with this place. I'll definitely be back!

Room Tip: Get a room on the 2nd floor, inside.They have balconies overlooking the pool...but be forewarned, th...
1  Thank LisaSF46
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We just returned from our fourth stay at the Irish Village. Our children, 3 and 5, love this place.

Food is good, pool is fun, atmosphere is relaxed and the people are exceptionally friendly. We like the fact that the rooms have a divider one section for the kids (two twin beds, a TV and a kitchenette) and one for us (bed, pull-out couch and another TV). Using the meal plan, I don't think you can get a better deal in South Yarmouth. My husband and I had lobster one night and seafood specials the other (each meal included appetizer, bread, cheese and crackers, salad and dessert).

If you're looking for four-star dining and state-of-the-art rooms, you might be better served elsewhere. But, if you're looking for a friendly place, for both your wallet and your soul, you can't go wrong.

Room Tip: We like the inside balcony rooms down the far end of the hotel. If you can, bring a fan to add a li...
Reviewed August 7, 2012

I have stayed in the old Irish Village and also in the New one...I have never had a bad experience. We had many meals and never had a bad one, the food is good especially for a hotel with a meal plan. Most hotels give you a choice of one or two entree's at this place you can order off the menu. Also, they don't charge the kids to stay, they just charge for what they eat. I can't believe some of the reviews that people are writing, that just goes to say you can't please everyone. The ones that are writing about the outdated rooms and the nonsmoking rooms ....What are they expecting? This is a nice place and very reasonable, do the owner and everyone else a favor and stay home or go and pay $300 a night to have your high expectations met..because I do feel sorry for you...Your just plain Miserable and nothing would please you....This place is a family friendly Irish atmosphere...and if your not into Irish or even used to their culture then this place is not for you...Most Irish are relaxed fun loving people and very laid back, so if you are a stickler and pre-madonna....keep going and I hope you find what you are looking for...Just remember you get what you pay for.....I have two boys ages 8 and 2 and I highly recommend...this place.....And for the review that the food isn't very Irish .....well what did you expect when you ordered Pasta? Pasta is on the menu for the person who doesn't want Irish....hello

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2012

We stayed at the Irish village with a group of friends. We all had a wonderful time. The food was excellent and the service even better. Live music every night was a true bonus, we danced the night away. We are definitely coming back!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Pleasant Bay Village
Pleasant Bay Village
#2 of 9 in Chatham
Chatham Inn At 359 Main

Been to Cape Cod Irish Village? Share your experiences!