“Fabulous Weekend”

Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Barrington, Rhode Island
“Fabulous Weekend”
Reviewed October 10, 2011

This is the second year we have stayed during Columbus Day Weekend. The room was clean and comfortable and the staff (Sandy) were very nice. The Surf & Sand is a fine old facility (which has been updated) with a great deal of character and an extremely interesting history. We also dined at Skippy's Restaurant and found the service and food very good. We will return again next Columbus Day!

Room Tip: Choose a refurbished room on either the first or second floor.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Christine I

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reisterstown
Reviewed October 7, 2011

My husband and I found this place serveral years ago and would not stay any other place on the Cape. The staff are wonderful and can't do enough for you. Everything is always so clean and comfortable. When anyone ask us where to stay we say here is the ideal place. The resturant is great also.

Room Tip: YThe ground floor is great.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
8 Thank CandyReisterstown
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 16, 2011

My bad experience started as soon as I arrived, my sister had made the reservations for my family she was the first to arrive and checked 8 people into our suite, we were told the rooms would accommodate us. When I arrived we decided that my niece and I would sleep on the pull out sofa when I checked the sofa for sheets there was none so I went to the front desk to ask for sheets so I could make the bed I was told that the sofa did not pull out that it was broken, I was confused, when my sister checked 8 people into to the room ( that now only sleeps 6), why didn't they say we had to many people in the room. I then asked the woman at the receptions desk for sheets, blankets and 2 pillows so I could sleep on the sofa with out pulling it out, her response was that she couldn't give sheets but she could give me the blankets and pillows, again I was confused but I decided to make the best of it because I was looking forward to my cousins wedding the next day . When I got back to my room and told my family what had happened they then told me that that my father and brother- in -law had to fix the faucet in the bathroom and it got worse from there the air conditioner in the room didn't work. I don't know how you can run a business like this. My extended family that was staying at the hotel was also harassed by the management we were told that we were making to much noise we were all sitting as far away from the rooms as possible there was no music playing we were only talking. When I went to bed at 11:00 pm all was quite. I don't understand why this motel advertises that they want family's to have functions at their motel. I wish we were treated better it would have been nice to make this a yearly event.

13 Thank drl123

Travelers are raving about these South Yarmouth hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed September 15, 2011

my wife and i have been revisiting this hotel every year for the past 15 years .It has always been a great experience and comfortable, whats very refreshing is when you need something or have a question,9 times 0ut of 10 you actually speak to one of the owners which is very refreshing.they also offer a nice restaurant within 2 miles of the hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank geoffrey d
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I cannot write about my experience staying here because we decided not to after that way we were treated making the reservation. I called to make a reservation and the front desk agent did not know the information to make the reservation (including the rate) so I gave her all my information and she said she will call be back to make it. First of all I do not understand how a FD employee does not have the information to make a reservation. Isn' t that their job? I did not hear from them for a day so I called them. They told me they already made the reservation and they tried to call me. I then told them that I would like to cancel my reservation and they said that I would be charged a cancellation penalty. I then argued stating how could you charge me a cancellation penalty when I did not know you made me a reservation. They said they already put my confirmation in the mail. I did not even know the rate. I had to argue with them and finally they did not charge me. This experience made me not want to stay here and decided to stay down the road at a place called Seaside Cottages which were great.

After staying in South Yarmouth and hearing the stories of all the wedding guest staying at Surf and Sand, I am really glad that I did not stay there. I do not understand how a hospitality business can be so unprofessional with guest. Having the guest set up their own chairs for the wedding??? That is absurd.

I feel that the management does not read these reviews and does not care what people say as long as they already paid. So hopefully further travelers will avoid this place.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank wannabetravler42041
Franklin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our host, Father of the Bride, made arrangements for a beautiful ocean view wedding for his daughter. Details were discussed for blocking 28 out of 35 rooms for wedding guests that would be flying in from around the country. This is most of the motel. The hosts showed concern about possible noise issues due to this festive occasion, and because so many people will be getting to know one another, that it may be a little loud at times. No Problem was the response. They said that they would inform potential guests that this would be the atmosphere of the weekend. Plans were also confirmed that there would be flowers and chairs for the ceremony on the lawn near the beach. The reception was to be held at Skippy’s Pier 1, the same owners. The price....the view....everything was perfect.
Wrong.......we were at their mercy........... The owners, owner’s daughter, and the security guard/lawn/pool guy scrutinized every move we made.
Upon arrival, all the beautiful flowers that were there when the wedding planning was done were gone. All empty beds with dirt. My host was assured that flowers would be brought in for the area where the Bride and Groom would be married. 2 hours before the ceremony, NO FLOWERS and no explanation. A wedding guest had to go out and buy flowers. The chairs for all the wedding guests sat on a pallet and AGAIN, the guests set up all the chairs.
Quite a few family members arrived during the week. Each time a new group came in....of course, there would be another reception. We would gather at the tables on the patio and the wall at the beach (the wall is quite a distance away from any rooms). As the evening progressed, people would move out to the beach wall. In no way was there any destruction, fighting, screaming or anything that would warrant the treatment that we received. The night I arrived, we were all together as mentioned above. I got up to go to bed and the owner’s daughter comes right up behind me and is practically in my shoes following me all the way to the hosts room, where I needed to drop off some cups, etc. She’s trying to get around me. I believe she would have stormed right in had I not been in front of her. She yells that she wants to see the father of the bride!! Mind you, people are really quiet at this point most are getting ready to go to bed. The hosts are up cleaning up from everyone visiting their room (central meeting place). She made quite a scene. She was threatening to hatchet the wedding, call the cops, you name it.......She definitely came looking for a fight. She was very antagonistic.
Later, we spoke to people who said that they never heard us that night, but, they heard that encounter. Then the bus arrives with the younger ones of the group and she flew to the bus and started on the first girl off. The poor bride is greeted by THIS?? She humiliated the mother of the bride in front of all their guests, sticking her finger in her face and yelling. There was a guest standing outside her room drinking “green tea” and was told by the security guard to go into her room. REALLY? Oh boy, never in my life have I seen such mismanagement.

All could have been avoided if this woman had a clue about hospitality and professionalism. In case she is reading this, I would just like to say that this would have been a better beginning, “I understand that this is a very festive occasion, however, I would like to ask you to possibly move onto the beach after a certain time.” She could have housed all non wedding guests to one end of the building and we could have had one central room for visiting on the other end of the building. Management skills and less attitude are a must for this establishment.
Believe it or not, I could say more.......I think you get the point.

10 Thank lifeofriley1
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 11, 2011

From the time we arrived until the time we left we where constantly dealing with bug infestations, harassment from the management, rules with financial penalties, and old smelly rundown furniture. The beds where stiff and uncomfortable, but nothing like how awful we where treated by the current Owners. This is an owner run hotel and they run it like a prison that has no order or sense of organization.

Please be careful when considering these type of establishments, as their business model is to take your money and lock the door behind you.

BTW: our keys provided didn't even unlock or lock the doors, which forced my family to leave the room unlocked and sometimes unattended. STAY AWAY, AS I PROMISE YOU WILL REGRET IT.

9 Thank BBNLP
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#10 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Surf and Sand Beach Motel? Share your experiences!