“good value very consistent”

Surf and Sand Beach Motel
Ranked #11 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Boston, Massachusetts
“good value very consistent”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

my wife and i have been revisiting this hotel every year for the past 15 years .It has always been a great experience and comfortable, whats very refreshing is when you need something or have a question,9 times 0ut of 10 you actually speak to one of the owners which is very refreshing.they also offer a nice restaurant within 2 miles of the hotel

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank geoffrey d

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Michigan City, Indiana
Reviewed September 14, 2011

I cannot write about my experience staying here because we decided not to after that way we were treated making the reservation. I called to make a reservation and the front desk agent did not know the information to make the reservation (including the rate) so I gave her all my information and she said she will call be back to make it. First of all I do not understand how a FD employee does not have the information to make a reservation. Isn' t that their job? I did not hear from them for a day so I called them. They told me they already made the reservation and they tried to call me. I then told them that I would like to cancel my reservation and they said that I would be charged a cancellation penalty. I then argued stating how could you charge me a cancellation penalty when I did not know you made me a reservation. They said they already put my confirmation in the mail. I did not even know the rate. I had to argue with them and finally they did not charge me. This experience made me not want to stay here and decided to stay down the road at a place called Seaside Cottages which were great.

After staying in South Yarmouth and hearing the stories of all the wedding guest staying at Surf and Sand, I am really glad that I did not stay there. I do not understand how a hospitality business can be so unprofessional with guest. Having the guest set up their own chairs for the wedding??? That is absurd.

I feel that the management does not read these reviews and does not care what people say as long as they already paid. So hopefully further travelers will avoid this place.

Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
13 Thank wannabetravler42041

Travelers are raving about these South Yarmouth hotels

Franklin
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our host, Father of the Bride, made arrangements for a beautiful ocean view wedding for his daughter. Details were discussed for blocking 28 out of 35 rooms for wedding guests that would be flying in from around the country. This is most of the motel. The hosts showed concern about possible noise issues due to this festive occasion, and because so many people will be getting to know one another, that it may be a little loud at times. No Problem was the response. They said that they would inform potential guests that this would be the atmosphere of the weekend. Plans were also confirmed that there would be flowers and chairs for the ceremony on the lawn near the beach. The reception was to be held at Skippy’s Pier 1, the same owners. The price....the view....everything was perfect.
Wrong.......we were at their mercy........... The owners, owner’s daughter, and the security guard/lawn/pool guy scrutinized every move we made.
Upon arrival, all the beautiful flowers that were there when the wedding planning was done were gone. All empty beds with dirt. My host was assured that flowers would be brought in for the area where the Bride and Groom would be married. 2 hours before the ceremony, NO FLOWERS and no explanation. A wedding guest had to go out and buy flowers. The chairs for all the wedding guests sat on a pallet and AGAIN, the guests set up all the chairs.
Quite a few family members arrived during the week. Each time a new group came in....of course, there would be another reception. We would gather at the tables on the patio and the wall at the beach (the wall is quite a distance away from any rooms). As the evening progressed, people would move out to the beach wall. In no way was there any destruction, fighting, screaming or anything that would warrant the treatment that we received. The night I arrived, we were all together as mentioned above. I got up to go to bed and the owner’s daughter comes right up behind me and is practically in my shoes following me all the way to the hosts room, where I needed to drop off some cups, etc. She’s trying to get around me. I believe she would have stormed right in had I not been in front of her. She yells that she wants to see the father of the bride!! Mind you, people are really quiet at this point most are getting ready to go to bed. The hosts are up cleaning up from everyone visiting their room (central meeting place). She made quite a scene. She was threatening to hatchet the wedding, call the cops, you name it.......She definitely came looking for a fight. She was very antagonistic.
Later, we spoke to people who said that they never heard us that night, but, they heard that encounter. Then the bus arrives with the younger ones of the group and she flew to the bus and started on the first girl off. The poor bride is greeted by THIS?? She humiliated the mother of the bride in front of all their guests, sticking her finger in her face and yelling. There was a guest standing outside her room drinking “green tea” and was told by the security guard to go into her room. REALLY? Oh boy, never in my life have I seen such mismanagement.

All could have been avoided if this woman had a clue about hospitality and professionalism. In case she is reading this, I would just like to say that this would have been a better beginning, “I understand that this is a very festive occasion, however, I would like to ask you to possibly move onto the beach after a certain time.” She could have housed all non wedding guests to one end of the building and we could have had one central room for visiting on the other end of the building. Management skills and less attitude are a must for this establishment.
Believe it or not, I could say more.......I think you get the point.

10 Thank lifeofriley1
South Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 11, 2011

From the time we arrived until the time we left we where constantly dealing with bug infestations, harassment from the management, rules with financial penalties, and old smelly rundown furniture. The beds where stiff and uncomfortable, but nothing like how awful we where treated by the current Owners. This is an owner run hotel and they run it like a prison that has no order or sense of organization.

Please be careful when considering these type of establishments, as their business model is to take your money and lock the door behind you.

BTW: our keys provided didn't even unlock or lock the doors, which forced my family to leave the room unlocked and sometimes unattended. STAY AWAY, AS I PROMISE YOU WILL REGRET IT.

9 Thank BBNLP
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This past weekend my cousin was married at this motel. She wanted a beautiful beach side wedding. This place looked great. The location was goregous and the price was reasonable. Well we should have paid the big bucks, because our stay here was awful! First of all we are a very large family and rented all of the rooms except like 3. When booking the hotel the manager/owner said she would let the regulars know there was a wedding and it could get noisy. She must have failed to do so. She repeatdly came and yelled at my family she even hired a detailed cop. We were told we couldnt leave our rooms. We were treated like animals. WE have paid them money and they have been extremly rude. She even said she would call off the wedding because were noisy. Its a large family it was not out of control it was family together. ALSO due to hurricane Irene the flowers got ruined. WE were promised new flowers planted for the outside so the ceremony would look nice... we bought our own and took them home with us. We also had to set up all of the chairs ourselves! What did we pay for? She almost ruined a Bride and Grooms special day! she has absolutly no professionalism, and or managment skills. Shes very un professional the way she speaks to the gest and the way she treats them. Wich brings me to my next part. The hotel its self was awful! for the money and the way we were treated i would have rather stayed in my car! There was no A/C in most of the building, no running water in a couple rooms, no propane in the grills, and the older rooms were practically falling apart. And most important there were bugs! A few of us demanded a refund due to ants infested in the rooms. They were everywhere! And she tried saying it was us and our food. Well i had them in my room and i brought no food with me!

Im very discusted by my stay here it upsets me greatly. I hope somone reads this. This place should be shut down. It breaks my heart that my cousin flew here from Arizona to have her dream wedding almost ruined by a women that is clearly awful to her guests. I will be contacting the better buisness bureau and everyone else that i can! DO NOT STAY HERE!

12 Thank xobtwiloveu
New York City, New York
Reviewed September 11, 2011

The owner of the motel is rude, unprofessional and condescending. I speak for everyone when I say that she went out of her way to be difficult to a group of people who gathered for a joyous occasion. We practically rented the whole motel out for the wedding and had the reception at their restaurant (Skippy's Pier 1). The best thing about the motel is the lawn and the ease of beach access- there were ants and cockroaches found in some of the rooms too. I wouldn't even consider this a future option, I would gladly pay more to not be treated well. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank Courtney D
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Please do yourself a favor and never stay at this motel.
Our experience this weekend was a nightmare on South Shore Drive.
The staff ,especially the owners are the most unprofessional people I have ever dealt with. Returning from a night out, we come home to find our room infested with ants.
Bathroom, table, bed, walls every where you looked. I go to the lobby to complain and the owner wants to know if I had any food in my room. After telling her yes I had a donut, she nastily replies what do you expect ? Now mind you, they have no bug spray, no other rooms & it's to late to go anywhere else. Needless to say no sleep to busy chasing ants.
The rooms offer mini kitchens with nasty countertops that you would not want to use.
We are AARP members so trust me, you go to this motel it will not be a pleasant experience. Most importantly it is not at all handicap accessible big flight of stairs to get to the lobby.

8 Thank Illah
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#9 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Surf and Sand Beach Motel? Share your experiences!