“AWFUL! bugs in room and staff EXTREMLY RUDE!”

Surf and Sand Beach Motel
Ranked #14 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Reviewed September 11, 2011

This past weekend my cousin was married at this motel. She wanted a beautiful beach side wedding. This place looked great. The location was goregous and the price was reasonable. Well we should have paid the big bucks, because our stay here was awful! First of all we are a very large family and rented all of the rooms except like 3. When booking the hotel the manager/owner said she would let the regulars know there was a wedding and it could get noisy. She must have failed to do so. She repeatdly came and yelled at my family she even hired a detailed cop. We were told we couldnt leave our rooms. We were treated like animals. WE have paid them money and they have been extremly rude. She even said she would call off the wedding because were noisy. Its a large family it was not out of control it was family together. ALSO due to hurricane Irene the flowers got ruined. WE were promised new flowers planted for the outside so the ceremony would look nice... we bought our own and took them home with us. We also had to set up all of the chairs ourselves! What did we pay for? She almost ruined a Bride and Grooms special day! she has absolutly no professionalism, and or managment skills. Shes very un professional the way she speaks to the gest and the way she treats them. Wich brings me to my next part. The hotel its self was awful! for the money and the way we were treated i would have rather stayed in my car! There was no A/C in most of the building, no running water in a couple rooms, no propane in the grills, and the older rooms were practically falling apart. And most important there were bugs! A few of us demanded a refund due to ants infested in the rooms. They were everywhere! And she tried saying it was us and our food. Well i had them in my room and i brought no food with me!

Im very discusted by my stay here it upsets me greatly. I hope somone reads this. This place should be shut down. It breaks my heart that my cousin flew here from Arizona to have her dream wedding almost ruined by a women that is clearly awful to her guests. I will be contacting the better buisness bureau and everyone else that i can! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
12  Thank xobtwiloveu

Reviewed September 11, 2011

The owner of the motel is rude, unprofessional and condescending. I speak for everyone when I say that she went out of her way to be difficult to a group of people who gathered for a joyous occasion. We practically rented the whole motel out for the wedding and had the reception at their restaurant (Skippy's Pier 1). The best thing about the motel is the lawn and the ease of beach access- there were ants and cockroaches found in some of the rooms too. I wouldn't even consider this a future option, I would gladly pay more to not be treated well. I do not recommend this place to anyone.

Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
9  Thank Courtney D
Reviewed September 11, 2011

Please do yourself a favor and never stay at this motel.
Our experience this weekend was a nightmare on South Shore Drive.
The staff ,especially the owners are the most unprofessional people I have ever dealt with. Returning from a night out, we come home to find our room infested with ants.
Bathroom, table, bed, walls every where you looked. I go to the lobby to complain and the owner wants to know if I had any food in my room. After telling her yes I had a donut, she nastily replies what do you expect ? Now mind you, they have no bug spray, no other rooms & it's to late to go anywhere else. Needless to say no sleep to busy chasing ants.
The rooms offer mini kitchens with nasty countertops that you would not want to use.
We are AARP members so trust me, you go to this motel it will not be a pleasant experience. Most importantly it is not at all handicap accessible big flight of stairs to get to the lobby.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
8  Thank Illah
Reviewed August 11, 2011

My husband and I decided to take a short getaway without the kids and we arrived on the Cape with no reservations. We wondered if we would be able to find anything at all because all the online reservation services we tried said everything was booked. Not true!
We had been to South Yarmouth several times before when our kids were younger and we have tried several hotels on this particular street.
We decided to give the Surf & Sand a try primarily because the room was newly redone, clean and almost $100 LESS per night than hotels several doors down. For the three nights we stayed, this meant an approximate $300 in savings we could use to go out to dinner or whatever we wanted.
Since we were traveling sans kids, we did not have a need for the amenities (restaurant on premises and camps for kids) offered at the other hotels. Those hotels are nice too...but the rooms did not seem to me to be worth all the extra dollars.
Pat was very nice and accommodating as was the young lady who checked us out the morning we left. I would also recommend Skippys Pier 1 restaurant just a short drive down the road. The Surf and Sand will give you coupon for 10% off the bill too!
We tend to like to try all different hotels but we would consider going back also.

Room Tip: All rooms are oceanfront so the view is the same for everyone.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank catwomanct
Reviewed February 12, 2011

We love to stay here. No, it is not very modern, but they are doing renovations now. This is a very nice, quiet place with it's own beach. You can just walk out your door and down to the beach. What more do you want?

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank M_Murphy4
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Stayed at this on-the-beach motel Columbus Day weekend. Read a few reviews in advance that ran it down, probably written by folks that don't come to the Cape very often. I've stayed all over the Cape, and this is one of the better places when you consider the price, the amenities in the room, and the location! Right on the beach, beautiful grounds, very nice pool (too cool to swim, but it was well-maintained), rooms are clean and comfortable -- what more do you need?

The room had a small fridge, kitchen sink, small cooktop, cabinets with dishes and silverware; nice balcony, quiet location -- ideal, and what many Cape-lovers are looking for.

Surf and Sand is perfect for people who want to save some $$ and have simple meals in their room while enjoying the view, which is why most people go to the Cape in the fall. It's close enough to Route 28 to make shopping and meals out easy; far enough away to be peaceful. A winner!

If you're the kind of person that needs every possible amenity and everything in the room pristine and in perfect working order (think Hyatt/Marriott/Sheraton in a big city), then you generally won't be happy in a hotel or motel on the Cape. But for everyone else -- there's the Surf and Sand in the off-season!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank EllenF08
Reviewed July 26, 2010

The staff here could not be less helpful. One staff member in particular, Pat, was down right rude. In the common room, 5 of us were sitting and talking and turned off the TV. Pat turned it back on - we asked for the TV to be turned off again and she said no, she wanted to watch her show, the wheel of fortune! Apparently her TV viewing was more important than the wants of the PAYING guests. The hospitality went downhill from there!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#9 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Surf and Sand Beach Motel? Share your experiences!