“Do not go here until it is refurbished”

Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Long Island
“Do not go here until it is refurbished”
Reviewed October 23, 2010

The resort is clean and the staff is friendly. The rooms are the most uncomfortable rooms I have ever been in. It needs refurbishing badly!! There is a patio for each room off the hall way for each room. There are two chairs out there. It is so ugly and needs landscaping badly! The hall way is lower than the floor going into the room. It is so high you could trip in or out easily.I would never stay there again. Stay away!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank millstone

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Milford, New Hampshire
Reviewed August 7, 2010

We just got back from a week-long stay at Ocean Club at Smuggler's Beach. We used a timeshare exchange and overall were very happy with our stay. Upon check-in we were told that our room was "the one" that's renovated... apparently it's been used as a model to show owners/potential buyers what the renovated rooms will look like. (Rooms are to be renovated by summer 2011, I understand).
The room had a very comfy king bed, two dressers which provided us plenty of drawer space, a wall mounted flat screen TV with DVD player (although no remote for the DVD player so you had to control it by the buttons on the side of the TV), and a tiny refrigerator built into one of the dresser. There was a decent sized closet in the bedroom also, and the one bathroom opened off the bedroom.

The bathroom was standard but had a huge mirror and plenty of options for fans, lighting, etc. Also had a good amount of storage for toiletries. Marble around the top of the bath enclosure gave the room a very elegant feel as did the sink fixtures. Easy-close toilet seat and what I believe is a low-flow toilet added to the luxury. Towels were exchanged on Tuesday and you can get more if you need them during the week, but for a fee. We had plenty (myself and my two kids and husband one night).

The bedroom was separated from the living room by two sliding pocket doors. The living room had a fold-out couch, large wall-mounted flat screen TV (no DVD player here), a bar sink, cupboards with plates, glasses, etc. for four, a few kitchen utensils, coffe maker, microwave and there was a beautiful marble gas fireplace. Also in a nook area was a glass table that seated four. In the living room there was a door that opened out to a tiny deck. One person could sit out there if you wanted.

The activites at the Ocean Club were plentiful and good. Kids could make various crafts throughout the week and every morning they had free coffee or tea and an assortment of muffins, etc. for $1 to $2. At noon they offered hotdog lunches (dog, chips and drink) for $3 and in the evening they had an "ice cream social" which was a make-your-own sundae for $3. It was nice to not have to go out for evey meal/ice cream. There are activities such as karaoke night and patio party. We did karaoke twice and it was a very popular and fun event! A great way to meet other guests.

We did eat breakfast in our unit and there is a communal kitchen off the activites room where you can cook, and there are two huge refrigerators where you can keep your groceries.

The pool is on the small side but that didn't bother my kids. There are two hour-long adult swims per day. Children in diapers are NOT allowed in the pool. The pool is right on the beach so I was able to keep an eye on my kids in the pool enclosure and at least look out at the ocean! We did make use of Ocean Club's "private" beach... nice clean sand but most of the time it was very windy so not great beach weather.

The only complaint I had about the "renovated" room is this: there are no room darkening blinds on the windows, so if you are bothered by the early morning light, as I am, you have to sleep in the bedroom with the sliding doors closed. While this keeps out the light, it also keeps out the air conditioning (external wall unit), so you are hot during the night. The wall unit is also pretty loud. The sound insulating between ours and our upstairs neighbor's untis was pretty much non-existent... we could hear footsteps, voices (through the fireplace!) and their shower/sink etc running. Not a very quiet place and I didn't sleep well the whole trip.

Wi-Fi was free but a pain becuase you had to enter a code and user ID every time you signed in. Good exercise room. While we were there a new treadmill was installed; now there are three.
But, besides that, this was a great resort. I would definitely stay there again. The staff was really nice and caring.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank jennkenn2
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 2, 2010

This wa our 4th time staying at the Ocean Club in S. Yarmouh. The Oean Club is a Mid-Cape beachfront resort which sits right on beautiful Nantucket Sound. This means the water is warmer and calmer than many other cape beaches. It is a timeshare resort so does not have all the ameniteis of a full-service hotel sich as oom service or a restaurant, but the atmosphere, beach and conveiences make it a good value and excellent choice. Most of the unit are studio suites which have a queen size bed, pull out couch, microwave, kitchen table and chairs, fridge, gas fireplace and jacuzzi. There are a few with a 2 burner cooktops. This resort is kept extremely clean with an acitivities program for kids and nightly activities for families. We have always found the management to be very helpful and the location perfect for a vacation to the Cape. S. Yarmouth is about 10 minutes from Hyannis where you can get ferries to Martha's Vineyard, Nantucket or a whale watch. There are LOTS of actviities in the area as well as art galleries, fine and casual dining, and shopping. The price of other hotels on this same beach can be clsoe to 4400 per night (some more) so we foudn thisto be an great value. Although the rooms are all attractive, they could use new mattresses and a better layout which will come in a planned 2011 refubishment. However, even before any updating the Ocean Club rooms are just lovely. I have traveled the cape extensively and think the Ocean Club is one of the best values on one of the nicest beaches you can find.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Lippylulu
gardner, ma
Reviewed March 24, 2010

We went away with another couple and were so impressed with the rooms and the location. You're right on the beach and we had a balcony with a view of the ocean! There's a jacuzzi tub in each room and a fireplace to keep you warm. We had plans to go away and after a week of beautiful weather the rain came on our days off. But it didn't matter because the Ocean Club has plenty of activities and has a hot tub and warm pool to enjoy! The rooms have a kitchenette with a microwave, fridge, coffee maker (bring your own favorite coffee) and glasses, mugs, plates and silver for 4. We brought wine (there was even a wine opener in the drawer) and appetizers and were able to have a little party right in our room. The TV's could swing out to face the couch so we borrowed one of their many VHS movies and enjoyed it with our friends in our room. Someone mentioned Continental Breakfast but they didn't understand it didn't say FREE breakfast, it had free coffee and if you since you have a fridge you can bring in your own breakfast treats. But if you forget they have muffins, bagels & cereal to purchase for $1.50. Check out time was a little early but they don't rush you out, & with a tub in every room and sand from the beach, it must take a bit longer than most to clean. Free WIFI with a card, a little slow but it's free! Since it was a quiet day we were able to leave a car behind and travel around the cape in one. We definately recommend this to everyone!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Chicago
Reviewed September 25, 2009

Excellent place! Private beach and pool, and miles of beach to walk. The room has a whirlpool tub, fireplace, and kitchenette Highly recommended!

2 Thank AtticusCaufield
St. Thomas
Reviewed September 6, 2009

A hidden gem is The Ocean Club on Smugglers Baech. The staff is the best around with only your comfort in mind. While the rooms need some updating the hospitality, cleanliness and ocean views are what make this resort so special. I now understand why it is always sold out when I want to visit. This is a timeshare resort for those not use to a timeshare atmosphere ease up and relax. If you want the Chatham Bars Inn or the Clarion or even the Cape Codder this resort is not for you.

The Activities Department located on the Beach is so much fun with activities for all my children where happy and that made me happy.

The Managers are always around and the staff strives for perfection with friendly hellos can I help you. On Saturday I received a call asking me if I needed anything and if everything was ok.

If you want down to earth friendly service look no furher

3 Thank seasoned_travler56
CT
Reviewed August 23, 2009

The hotel is located on a beach and they have a nice enclosed pool but this does not make up for the price they charge for the rooms which are in serious need for renovation. The floorplan is odd – there is a double bed in one room with a hot tub in the open, there are pocket doors that lead to a separate area with a pull out couch and kitchen/fireplace, you have to walk by the bed in one "room" to get to the bathroom, the floor was discolored and warped, the lights flicked on and off (I was told due to humidity), the hot tub didn’t work 2 out of the 4 days we were they, our room overlooked a parking lot, the beds are hard, the linens cheap, the shower flow is almost nonexistent, the wallpaper is peeling off the walls, the TVs are in odd positions, we had trouble pulling the blinds open and when we finally did one fell off and there were ants on the floor. Considering what I paid a night, I expressed my disappointment with the front desk clerk who did offer me another room but said it would be smaller - I declined because they did call maintenance to fix the hot tub (but it broke again the next day) and the other room was in the middle of the place and I read reviews about the noise level of people running in the hallways. At least my room was quiet. I told her that I’d stay put but I wanted the manager to be informed of my concerns - she said she’d tell the manager but he/she never contacted me. I asked if I could have one of the "welcome buckets" that were piled in the front hallway and she told me no – they were for incoming guests and there were not enough. Two of the mornings we were there the pool was closed for maintenance yet the pool was only open until 7:30pm. There are no lifeguards anytime so I didn’t understand why the pool wasn’t left open until 9pm in peak season or at least do maintenance in the evenings so guests could swim in the mornings. They wouldn’t let my son in the hot tub (no one under 16) another disappointment. My husband was approached by a shady character about a time share. They offered complimentary coffee but danish’s etc you had to pay for. They gave you a parking pass to place in the car window (which I did). I happened to be at my car one day when a woman was about to write down my license plate for towing - I told her the pass was right there in the window - she didn’t see it - imagine had I not been there my car might have been towed. The morning of checkout at 9am my son was all suited up to go into the pool - we were told it was closed for maintanence (again). At checkout I stood at the counter for the clerk to finish up with a guest – as I waited she never once glanced at me or said "I’ll be right with you" – when she did speak to me I again expressed my disappointment over the money I paid and I filled out a hotel review card saying that I would write this review and provide photo’s and thought I deserved some money back. The clerk said she’d call over the manager but I waited and waited no manager came out - finally I had to run because my son took off and I had to chase after him – it wasn’t until my husband went back in to turn the keys that he overhead the manager openly criticizing me in front of the entire room – guests included – saying that I had no right to my money back since they offered to move my room. My husband was very upset - he told the person at the front desk that was the totally unprofessional for a manager to speak about a guest out in the open like that. I agree. For the record, if a manager spoke to me even once I wouldn’t be writing this review. We work hard for our money. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere cheaper and nicer and then drive to beach – its got bathrooms and it only $15 fee. I wish I had done that. If you have kids go to the Pirate Adventures. There is also a super stop and shop about a mile away. They have a great deli there. Also, Diplama Resturant and Sam Diego’s were ok to eat at.

4 Thank Southport-TRIP
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Riviera Beach Resort
Riviera Beach Resort
#9 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach? Share your experiences!