“Never again” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach
Ranked #3 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
“Never again”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

We booked a trip through expedia to get away for the weekend and check out the cape. The room description said it was a one bedroom overlooking the ocean. Upon seeing the room, it was actually just one big room with a wall divider, very cramped. I went to the front desk and said I would be interested In a bigger room. The girl at the desk called a manager and said we could move rooms for an extra 50+ a night. It was around 11:30 at night, and I said we would just move in the morning. We were told it wouldn't be a problem to move tonight, the manager would take care of us. We changed rooms, and it was a much better room. I went to see about the extra fees, and the manager had already charged my card. She charged more than if I had booked directly through the hotel. I told her this, and she said that expedia charges them 25% and they needed to recover that. I told her we wouldn't be there if it wasn't for expedia, and I would have stayed in the original room if it wasn't for the girl last night, saying the manager would take care of it. When I asked for her supervisor, she told me I won't be able to get a hold of them. After arguing with her, she finally gave me a email to a manager. I recommend no one ever staying at this property. Complete ripoff!

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Shgusmc
linda m, Manager at Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi Shgusmc,
Normally a manager would cringe with a review like this but knowing that we worked together and made things right makes it a little easier to read! Maybe we can get Trip Advisor to take it off! Either way, you are happy now and that's what's important. We do advertise with Expedia and going in we know that it is a discounted rate and would never try to make up the difference by charging guests more. We even asked Expedia to drop our rates 10% for this month as to bring in more business. Our website even has a greater discount on it if you just put in the promo code "escape". I am glad things worked out and we look forward to you visiting again!
Linda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

This hotel is in a great location, the beach is beautiful, and the hotel is right on it. The indoor pool & hot tub are also nice, really cool how it is in a all glass building so you can look out to beach. The rooms are nice, clean, & most offer good views If you request it. Overall it'a a great hotel for the price.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view room, & close to the pool.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Plantman24
linda m, Manager at Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Hi Plantman24,
Thank you for your review. Those are the words we love to see! You are so right about the pool and the view from it! It is literally on the beach. Sometimes even in the winter it will get too warm in there and all we have to do is open the roof or crack a slider! Look forward to you visiting again!
Linda :)
New hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014

Off season is the reason we went. We wanted to get away. The hotel is not on the main drag and it is right on the ocean. Beautiful sunrise both mornings.

The rooms are very spacious and clean. Bed was comfortable.
Shower FANTASTIC.

The pool area is in another building. Just a tad inconvenient.
The area was very clean. Jacuzzi is small , but it was perfect
for the 4 of us. We had the hole building to ourselves.

I am sure it is a very active place in the summer.

I would stay at this hotel again. (off season)

Room Tip: room close to the pool building. Ocean view for sure.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank lovetotravelandread
linda m, Manager at Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Hi Lovetotravelandread,
Thank you for your nice review. The Ocean Club is a great place to be in the off season. I think you must have just came just before February School Vacation as we have tons of families here now and I don't know that you would have been as lucky to have our pool to yourselves! The pool area is a great place to read or even take a nap when it is quiet. I've walked in a few times and had to tip toe around so not to wake someone. I think it being glass enclosed makes it so much warmer & cozier too. I bragged about our beautiful sunrises here at The Ocean Club on a different review so I am glad you were able to catch one. Hope to see you again soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

Stayed at Smugglers' Beach during the New Years Eve celebration. It was surprisingly quiet and comfortable. The room was perfect for my wife and me and we had a great time just relaxing. We woke up to the start of a nor'easter and blizzard with 15 inches of snow on the way. The management was wonderful and accommodating.

Room Tip: Try to stay on the second floor. Quieter.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank seasidejoe27
linda m, Manager at Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Hi Seaside Joe,
Thank you very much for taking the time to give us such a nice review! We are so happy you enjoyed yourself in one of our cozy ocean view rooms. They really are perfect for a couple. Makes it even cozier when it is snowing and you have the electric fireplace on to take the chill off!
I hope you choose The Ocean Club again!
Swampscott, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2013

The advertisement promised the room with balcony or patio. I decided to book this hotel because of balcony overlooking ocean even though this hotel was more expensive. I have not received either. The ventilation in room is very poor. It is impossible to sleep because of the noise and smoke from outside. The rooms are overlooking not only the ocean but mostly parking lot. There is musty odor on the stairs leading to the gym. The air in the gym itself is odor free due to the working dehumidifier. However, since my husband has an asthma, I did not recommend him to use gym to avoid asthma attack. I wish I read reviews prior planning this vacation. Terrible experience.
Terrible experience.

Room Tip: I would not recommend this hotel to anyone
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
linda m, Manager at Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach, responded to this review, December 3, 2013
Thank you for your review. I am sorry your stay here was unpleasant. It upsets me terribly to read such a review. Reviews such as yours can only make us want to try just a little bit harder to make sure our guests are comfortable and happy with the accommodations. Most of our rooms have a balcony but not all of them. All but 4 have ocean views. Granted, they look over our parking lot but the views are beautiful. Especially the sunrise! This is a smoke free resort and there are fines if guests smoke in the rooms. We do have designated areas for smokers though. I looked into the musty smell and came to the conclusion that the carpet had not dried properly after it's weekly shampooing. The gym is located in the basement and I am glad you noticed that the dehumidifier was doing its job! It can be tough keeping the dampness in the fitness center under control being in a basement and being an ocean front resort. We do have a dry sauna in our fitness center and maybe if you give us another chance, and I hope you will, you & your husband may enjoy it.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2013

This was our first time at The Ocean Club and we were pleasantly surprised. The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room was clean and just like their website photos. We were only there for 2 nights but would have loved to stay longer. We enjoyed the beach as well as the pool. The deck has glass panes all around so that on a windy day, guests can still be out in the sun without getting sand blasted!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
#7 of 21 in South Yarmouth

Been to Ocean Club On Smugglers' Beach? Share your experiences!