All reviews fire pit loft suite hot tub private beach outdoor pool cape cod paper plates small kitchenette plenty of lounge chairs sleeper sofa first floor stayed for one night living area mini fridge coffee maker labor day off season
Selected filters
Reviewed September 20, 2018 via mobile

We were here over the weekend and the first room they put us in smelled really bad.... musty and mildew like smells. We complained and they moved us across the parking lot. Smelled better but had multiple other issues... mildew... water leaking...
Save your money and go somewhere else.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
3  Thank 625janeyl
srnhg, Manager at Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. I apologize for having to move you to another room and will be reviewing your feedback with the manager of the hotel. We hope that you will consider us in the future if your travels bring you back to Yarmouth.

Reviewed September 15, 2018 via mobile

Mold in the bathroom and on the ceiling of the guest room. Water stains on the walls. Phone in room does not work. No towels at the pool area. Front desk staff were horrible and rude. When asked to speak with a manager, was told no. Group of underage drinkers in public space on property playing loud music through speaker at 10pm.

Trip type: Traveled with friends
5  Thank keelyns2015
Reviewed September 15, 2018

Not sure where to begin. I had stayed here many years ago (maybe like 15 years ago) and remember it as a wonderful property and great location so I immediately thought about this place when my travels brought me to Cape Cod again. I should have looked around more.

If I had paid $100 a night for my room I probably would have given it 5 stars just for the location and size of the room. If I paid $200 a night I probably would have given it 4 stars. But at $300 plus a night there is just too many things that I found unacceptable for that price -- but I guess you are paying for the location of "Cape Cod" and "on a beach". Note that management seems to only respond to extremely glowing reviews here on TA and no response to those with issues. That should tell you something.

The good:

1. Reservations on line were easy and I had no problems with my bill (so far as it hasn't hit my credit card yet). But the room I booked and was later given differed -- will talk about that below. The room was two stories it was just set up differently so I guess I got what I booked?

2. I found the room to be quite clean; the housekeeping staff doing an excellent job (and I tipped appropriately); the grounds were well kept; the pool area both indoor and outdoor looked well kept. Only exception was our locked door (requiring a key to the stairwell) didn't work after the first night so the door was unlocked. The air conditioner worked very well.

3. Plenty of parking. And we had no issues with the internet or noise and were right by the staircase but it was after Labor Day. Could hear people at the fire pit which was across the parking lot but nothing that bothered us.

4. Good water pressure although to step into the tub to use the shower is a big step so anybody with balance or mobility issues might have trouble. I found the bathroom size to be adequate although the main bath was missing the glass shelf below the mirror but there was room on the counter. The half bath had the shelf but a pedestal sink but there was a large dresser in the bathroom to set stuff that was pretty handy. The mirrors are angled down which was odd and unusual.

5. I concur with the recent posts that there is a lot of sea grass, dead horseshoe crabs, and shells and rocks on the beach. But we weren't here to sun ourselves and found the beach adequate for walking (we wore our sneakers) and looking at. Plenty of lounge chairs on the sea wall to gaze at the ocean and read a good book.

6. I also concur with the lack of onsite restaurant or bar.

Now for the stuff that made me wonder why I was paying $300.

1. This was the room description that I booked:
Loft Suite King with Sleeper Sofa - Ocean View (600 sq ft)
Downstairs features a king size bed with private balcony, plus kitchenette with cooktop, refrigerator, microwave and sink, dining table for four, 42” TV, full bath and large closet. Upstairs you will find a living area with queen sleeper sofa, second balcony, TV and closet. Guest room offers luxurious bedding with imported linens 42" LCD TV with HD cable. Also provided are electronic safe, iron and ironing board, and gourmet coffee and tea. Please note: the hotel does not provide cookware or flatware.

The room we got, was really on the 2nd and third floor of the building so you have to carry your suitcases up one very steep flight of stairs just to your room and once inside the unit had to carry it up a curving staircase to the bedroom. You entered on the second floor into a living room (with a sleeper sofa I guess); the kitchenette; dining table, closet and the full bath. Then the bedroom was upstairs (3rd floor) with a closet and a half bath. So to take a shower you had to walk down the winding staircase into the living room and then the bathroom -- how odd especially if someone was staying on the sleeper sofa! The TV in the bedroom was no where near 42 inches (maybe 31 at best); the TV in the living room had red lines and green faces the entire time (a call to the office had the maintenance guy come out on night one and say it was due to the wind and would be better tomorrow -- it was never better). The bed was ok but I wouldn't call it " luxurious imported bedding" and the pillows were super squishy. Felt like the room got some good use or abuse over the summer. The couch was not comfortable as it was well used. There were stains (looked like blood) on one cushion. The bathroom door up stairs handle had punched a hole in the wall. The toilet in the main bathroom started running one night, although maintenance did come and fix it quickly when called. I went up to the office to tell them about the damage in the room to ensure I wouldn't be charged. The guy (same one who checked us in) went ok. Didn't write it down. I then had to ask the lady behind the desk to write it down and when I checked out I again mentioned the previous damage to ensure I wouldn't be charged.

2. Speaking of the guy at the front desk he is the one who checked us in. No "welcome to the Cape/Ocean Mist; how was your drive" nothing. The least personable front desk clerk I have ever met (and I stay in hotels over 75 nights a year). I asked him about area restaurants like a list of recommendations. He looked at me like I was an alien. Then he hunted behind the desk and brought out a very large 3 ring notebook labeled "menus". Told him never mind I can find those on line. Figure no use in asking him anything further the rest of the trip.

3. Why burners in the room if they aren't going to provide cookware, plates, utensils or glasses (just some super cheap plastic plates and drinking glasses)? Their excuse is they have no way to sanitize and wash them. Who wants to drag pots and pans with them on vacation? We flew so it was out of the question. There is not a toaster either. We just ate out the whole time and only used the fridge. We never had paper towels the entire stay. The story was the shipment hadn't come in but was due any day. I am paying $300 a night - go to Walmart and buy some! The refrigerator was nice size. We never tried the microwave or coffee maker (went to Dunkin Donuts instead each day -- just down the road).

I have tried to paint an honest picture of what you are getting for your money. If you get a fantastic price like a $100 to $150 a night I would say go for it. If you have money to burn and don't care about spending $300 a night then you probably fine with this. But I work hard for my money and $1300 for 4 nights is just unreasonable for what I got and the lack of customer service. Never once did I hear thank you for staying with us although the housekeeper did tell us to have a nice day as we were leaving. I definately will not be back.

• Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2018

This is our 3rd time staying at Ocean Mist. We come back for the location and ocean views. The hotel is old but has been renovated at some point and the rooms are comfortable (but the bathroom is absolutely tiny). We had a king room facing the ocean and we were looking forward to sitting on our deck. That became a problem when we discovered that the people right next to us were smokers. This is a no smoking hotel; there is a smoking area set up near the parking lot. We asked them not to smoke but they did not think it was prohibited. I complained at the office twice. The first time, I was told that someone would speak to the smokers. The second time, a different staff member told me that "technically", it wasn't prohibited. I explained that we had booked a non smoking room and could not open our door or sit on our balcony without smelling smoke. They promised to speak to the occupants, who finally stopped smoking. Our friends downstairs had the same issue with the people next to them. This makes no sense.

Reviewed September 7, 2018

Wanted a nice beachfront hotel in Cape Cod to escape the heat for a few days and after checking out many hotels online the Ocean Mist Hotel and Suites looked very nice and the prices for the rooms were very reasonable. We booked the room 3 days before we planned on going so we had to settle for a room that was not oceanfront but that was fine. The room was immaculate with very comfy beds and the housekeeping service was great. The hotel does not have breakfast available but there are plenty of resturants in the area or you can bring food into the room because the rooms have microwaves, stove top and refrigerator. The hotel has outdoor and indoor pools and a fire pit. Now about the beach.. If you plan on swimming in the ocean be aware that the beach has a lot of seaweed and broken shells and you will need water shoes. When we were there in early September there were a lot of dead horseshoe crabs on the beach, more noticeable at low tide. We noticed that the adjacent beaches had the same problem and were not clean so we decided to just use the pools. Other than the beach it was a very nice stay at Ocean Mist.

Room tip: Book a room away from the stairs to the second level.
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple