“Beautiful setting nasty staff and filthy bathroom!”

Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites
Ranked #7 of 21 Hotels in South Yarmouth
Reviewed September 6, 2005

We arrived at 1pm on Thursday my mother, my 7 year old son and I. We could not check in to our room although it was ready. My son needed to use the bathroom at the pool and I had to clean up an accident before he could use the toilet. The staff was on the computer and the nasty woman was watching game shows on the couch. Over the next two days whenever I went in the office she was watching TV and if the staff at the desk was busy she never asked if she could help. The day of check out we were all packed and ready to go but I told the desk my son was watching TV and we would leave as soon as housekeeping came. He wanted to see the end of the movie. Since housekeeping had not come to our room until 2 or 3 pm on the prior two days , I thought no big deal. The nasty women opened our door and said"well I'm going to charge you another whole day for this." I realize we were late, she was seated watching TV when I told the desk staff we were ready to go and were just watching TV. I did not want to use the bathrro at the pool since on Thursday I neede to clean poop off the toilet seat before my son could use it and on Friday that same bathroom was flooded with water since someone showered there and there was water and hair everywhere.
It is too bad because my extended family(35) people had celebrated my fathers birthday there in 2004 and my father died shortly thereafter. It is a gorgeous location and the rooms are comfortable. This same women gave my two sisters a hard time last year. There were also two couples who complained about this women and said they would never stay there again. Neither will I or my family!

• Stayed: August 2005
13  Thank FourOfUs

North Brookfield, MA
Reviewed August 9, 2005

I thought this hotel was great! The beach is very nice and the rooms are great. It's good for familys and a great place. We're going there again this month. I love that hotel!

• Stayed: July 2004
7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 6, 2005

I just stayed at Ocean Mist on 8/6 with my boyfriend. I made last-minute reservations, and this was one of the few places on the Cape with any vacancy, and it was by far the least expensive. Very similar resorts down the street in Yarmouth were asking for over $300 (after tax) for a room comparable to what we had at Ocean Mist for $220 (after tax). The staff were very friendly and accomodating both on the phone and in person.

The room was very clean. The decor and furniture are a bit outdated but were immaculate (and I'm the type to check the bed for hair, etc. before i'll get in!). There was none of that typical Cape hotel musty odor.

The water pressure was great. The A/C worked very well.

As with most places in the area, there were lots of kids. I heard plenty of footsteps above but no voices from any direction. I'd say the soundproofing is decent.

The beach is small but they have enough chairs and towels. The water is warm but has a lot of seaweed.

I would say this is a better deal than the Red Jacket resort we went to last season. It is not a fancy hotel but it is a good place for a typical Cape weekend. It's super close to mini-golf, ice cream, etc.

One word of caution: the nearby Dunkin Donuts is a horrorshow in the morning (was last year and was this morning). You couldn't even get into the lot. My suggestion is to get iced coffee the night before and stick 'em in the room fridge.

• Stayed: August 2005
11  Thank suzieboston
Reviewed November 8, 2004

We called in by chance early Nov 2004 saw the hotel in a discount coupon book
We hada very warm welcome and declared the coupon, we were offered 2 rooms to have a look at by a very charming lady on the desk
the first room at$79 downstairs was very nice , but we thought we would look at the upstairs room as well at $109 .what a room its was so good
2 double beds a sitting area with table and chairs.......a balcony with chairs overlooking the sea so near you could almost touch it.......and stairs to an upper leavel with another tv and anothe rbalcony with chairs.....the rooms and bathroom were spotless and very warm.

We had very good service and intend to go back next year for longer .

It was the best hotel room we had this time on our trip over from England

Paul Dazley
Ludlow
Shropshire
England

9  Thank PAULFROMSHROPSHIRE
Reviewed July 18, 2004

July 19, 2004
Although the Ocean Mist is situated in a fairly good location on Cape Cod near to the beach, restaurants and other localattractions, its rooms designated to accommodate disabled individuals are extremely lacking. Because of my physical condition, I must always use a wheelchair. My problems with independent usage of the facility began immediately when I was confronted with no automatic door opener at the motel office that also had only a standard height registration counter that was above my head. Soon afterwards I found that the a threshhold at the door into my room was too difficult to roll over without assistance. Troubles worsened due to an ill-equipped bathroom which again had a high threshhold at the door and a toilet that couldn't be used because it was located in the center of the room. It had no available grab bars beside or behind it to use for support in transfer. Toilet height could therefore not be determined. A shower system was included in a bathtub fitted low to the floor into which there was no safe way for a person with my disability using a wheelchair to transfer or sit. Taking a shower would not have been possible without having a barrier free unit with a shower seat and grab bars at an accessible height. The bathroom hanging sink was probably the correct distance from the wall as my chair could roll under it, but reaching the water control knobs was a difficult stretch.
In addition, the bed mattress was far too soft preventing an easy access slide onto the bed and any movement while lying on it. If I had not taken my urinal or portable bed railing with me, and if I was supposed to use this room without a helping roommate, my stay here would have been a complete disaster. The motel's handicapped provisions are practically non-existent, and they should specify how minimal they really are in their advertisements of such rooms. Only a minimally impaired person might do well in such a setting. This motel should be reported to the MA Architectural Access Board to see that it is made to comply with existing building code laws establishing basic provisions for a disabled person!
Thank you.

5  Thank Jonathan F
Lunenburg, MA
Reviewed June 27, 2004

We stayed (or tryed to) over a summer weekend. My kids (teenagers) and I went to use the hot tub. After 5 minutes we had to get out. We were overwhelmed by fumes (chlorine?) All of our bathing suits were completely bleached white and we couldn't stop coughing. I went to complain to the manager at the front desk. She completely ignored me and wouldn't look up. She never said one word. I finally said look up I'm talking to you in a stern voice and complained about the excessive chlorine in the hot tub. Again no response, she just walked away into another room. At this point other quests came in to check in and I was talking to the manger. She said I was a disruption and said if I wasn't out in 5 minutes she would call the police! They could care less about their quest.

13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Nanuet, New York
Reviewed May 12, 2004

My husband and I have stayed at Ocean Mist for years and always chose it for it's unique rooms (with an extra living room/loft), skylight, and small kitchenette and living room area. But, last year we felt that maybe the time had come to look elsewhere; it's getting rough around the edges with worn out look and very much needed bringing up to date. When I asked where the microwave was I was told that it was being used elsewhere but they'd get me another one. They brought me an old, old microwave that smelled from fake popcorn butter. Nauseating! Also, the staff is very laid back and really do not look to the needs of the customer. I may or may not go back this year but I'd like to see them bring Ocean Mist up to date!

20  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Bayside Resort Hotel
#2 of 20 in West Yarmouth
Hampton Inn and Suites Cape Cod - West Yarmouth
The Mansion at Ocean Edge Resort & Golf Club

Been to Ocean Mist Beach Hotel & Suites? Share your experiences!