WINNER WONDERLAND

“"You'll Never know what you will find''” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Club Vacations Oak n' Spruce Resort

Holiday Inn Club Vacations Oak n' Spruce Resort
Holyoke, Massachusetts, United States
“"You'll Never know what you will find''”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

The resort is always booked during the winter for the sking in the area. During the summer they have concerts and plays in the area. Living only 45min away its a nice place to go and get away.

We were there Christmas for 4 days and there were no special activities for the adults and families to get together. During the summer there is the pool ,golf,swing,fishing etc. During the winter I think it would be something special to have an ice skating rink,snow shoes, a little more thought into their schedule.

Each visit that we made in the past 6 months we have had some type of matenience problems that should be easy to fix but they weren't. The sheets on the bed were inexpensive and the bed wouldn't stay made. The toilet seat was broken they came in and "fixed" it but you couldn't use it the rest of the week. There were 2 window casing that was secured by velcro.that fell during the night..I was concerned about the safety near the tub and the shower. There were no hand rails near the tub and it was slippery it seemed like the cleaners needed to rinse out the tub . If my husband wasn't there I would have fallen.

I feel that you should have free wi/fi I went 4 days without being able to do any work. getting dressed and going down to the lobby isn't my type of vacation.

Rooms have improved and some have vcrs and DVDS but you shouldn't have to pay ,I believe $5 for a movie. They have washers and dryers in the rooms. Thank You

Room Tip: Go early so if you don't like your room you will have something to choose from. No too good for...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Terri L

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
Lancaster, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

I exchanged from another timeshare for this resort. I was skeptical because of the reviews, but I wanted to visit the Berkshires area. The front desk was helpful to place my family in a unit without stairs as I had requested. The unit was clean and spacious, although not new, it had been recently updated. The decor was rustic (furniture was fashioned from tree branches), so if you are looking for a marble bathroom and gas ovens, this is not for you. Also the TVs were not flat-screen, but a great touch was the hooks on the walls at the front door and in the bedrooms. How handy for wet coats not to be hanging over dining room chairs.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Jane H
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The best thing about this “resort” is its location. It is close to numerous historical, architectural and cultural attractions. It is also in proximity of a wide range of restaurants, whether you are looking for a quick fix or a superior dining experience. And of course in October, the wonderful rolling hills of the Berkshires with their bright display of fall colours were an attraction in themselves.
However, this “resort” falls far short of providing its guest with the hospitality experience you would expect from its ratings.
If you are nostalgic for the “cabin” experience of wood-stick furniture, rustic cleanliness and your Uncle Bob’s “gone fishing” 1970 basement décor, then this place is for you! We were treated to a basement entrance unit, stuck behind the parking retaining wall. Within an hour of settling down we had to call maintenance to fix two stove elements which were not functional… the unit was equipped with 1980 bulky TV sets and their connection was so bad that most channels were hard to view for the electronic snow across the screen… The units do not have washers and dryers and we had to cart our clothes to the resort Laundromat where half the equipment was out of order and where the working washers and dryers swallowed a few dollars worth of quarter (change can only be made at a machine in the reception area).
Upon our arrival, we soon found out that Wi-Fi was NOT available from any of the units (nor was it available from the Laundromat). In order to plan our day and do some basic research online, we had to take a walk to the Reception building in order to connect to the net. That, too was another “cabin experience”, with 1960 water-stained ceiling tiles and a gaggle of 20 something ill kept resort staff carrying on over the guests’ heads, a blaring TV set over in the corner, a lineup of customer waiting for their fast food fix, a procession of unit sales staff leading googly eyed young prospective buyers…. obviously, if you are an adept of Skype or such system to keep in “voice and picture” contact with your family and friends, forget about conversation privacy.
Altogether, we found the experience somewhat disappointing… but don’t take me wrong we sometimes enjoy the rustic camp/cabin atmosphere, however this time this was not what we had I mind. And we trusted the RCI rating. We were looking for a true resort where guests are treated like guests, where the staff shows some individual care and does not call you “bud” and where management of the place does not show crass “nickel and diming” thoughtless efficiency for the purpose of making a profit… either this resort is trying to keep afloat and is attempting to rearrange the deck-chairs on the Titanic to avoid sinking or it is plainly reducing its sense of hospitality to make a buck! Either way, their unit sales staff needs to learn to talk faster and make some quick sales to keep the company afloat.
Some say that you can judge an airline by the level of cleanliness of the on board food trays, simply because such a detail is a reflects on engine maintenance… you could also say that you can judge the good sense of hospitality of a resort by the quality of its toilet paper or the attention you get from a well trained staff. If that is truly the case, this “resort” is failing on these two accounts… and on many other small details which by themselves do not seem to matter much but which in this instance painted a pretty shabby picture.

10 Thank Gee4_12

Travelers are raving about these South Lee hotels

South Berwick, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

We had a week of timeshare but ended up only staying 2 nights because of other commitments. The unit - #278 was clean and spacious and when the hot water heater quit - they were quick to respond. It is kind of strange that you have to go down a flight of stairs only to climb back up 2 flights of stairs to get to the unit. The grounds are kept nice and the check-in staff was friendly. My only complaint was the smell in the activity building. They need to either change out the carpets or get a better air freshening system. We played mini-golf and that was fun. We did not use the pool but there were people in there having a good time. There is plenty to do in the area and the Normal Rockwell Museum should not be missed. I can't say I would go back to this particular resort but I am glad that we stayed there.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a room closer to the activities building if you have kids.
1 Thank Joan W
providence
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I traded our time share to stay at the Oak and Spruce Resort in Lee, Ma in the Beautiful Berkshires. Do not go to this resort. I had read the reviews, but thought it can't be that bad. Well, the reviews are absolutely right! We stayed in a 2 bedroom #228. The condo was dark, dank, dirty, and smelled of mold. We both suffered congestion and headaches .We opened all the windows and bought a candle to see if that would help. It did not. I spoke with the resort front desk and they said there was nothing they could do to help with the mold. She did say she knew there were problems. She said it was a large resort and they did the best they could. They could not move us. The place needs serious updating. The kitchen and bathroom cabinets were broken. The heat comes from the floor registers and must be bringing the mold up from the wet basement.The noise from the heat near the master bedroom is is so loud you can't sleep in the master bed room. You have to keep the lights on during the day to see inside the condo. It was just awful. Don't waste your timeshare money here. We loved the Berkshires and we spent as much time as we could touring, hiking, and sight seeing. Sadly, We left early after just two nights and won't be back to the Oak and Spruce Resort. Too bad this is in a great location, but not a pleasant vacation experience here.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
12 Thank jolu40
Lithonia, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

This trip was a "girls getaway" and my guests had not stayed in a time share before, so I was excited to show them how wonderful a time share property is. I was thoroughly embarrassed.

I was extremely disappointed with this "Resort". The room was extremely dark and dank, the room had a slight smoky/moldy odor. I looked out my back door/deck and was horrified to find construction equipment! I called the front desk and requested another room, I was put on hold for at least 5 minutes only to be told "We have nothing else, the workers are off on Saturday and Sunday."

Well, Saturday morning at 0800, we were accosted with the sounds of construction drilling and banging. I called the front desk again and was told "We have nothing else". I went to the front desk and begged to be comped a dvd player. My guest opened her window to get some much needed air on the second floor, and there was no screen! That was it. We were so disappointed we only stayed Saturday and Sunday and ran out of there on Monday. Needless to say, my "girls getaway" was not up to par.

The area is beautiful, with lots of things to do, we would have loved to have stayed, but all of our homes were much more inviting and beautiful than this "resort". We finished our getaway elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
12 Thank Susan V
Newton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you want a central location in the Bershires, look no further! The Oak and Spruce is your place. We loved being 15-20 minutes away from everything. The only downside for us was the master suite in the two bedroom. The bathroom is open to the rest of the room and the toilet is in a rather claustrophobic closet. Have seen this as a trend lately and don't like it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
#8 of 9 in Lee
Federal House Inn
Federal House Inn
#1 of 10 in Lee

Been to Holiday Inn Club Vacations Oak n' Spruce Resort? Share your experiences!