“A Spectacularly Awful Place”

Handkerchief Shoals Inn
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in South Harwich
Reviewed August 23, 2010

You can't believe everything (or anything, really) you read on the Internet. I have no idea why this place is rated so highly. We stayed in this hotel (?) for 2 nights, and it was perhaps the most awful experience I've ever had in a hotel. The bed was not only rock hard, the frame broke, and we're average in size. The bathroom was about the size of a small closet. For instance, when the door is opened, it banged against the toilet. The water in the shower stall was either scalding hot, typically when someone flushed a toilet which you could clearly hear through the walls, or it was freezing. The temp fluctuated all over the place, and never stayed where you wanted it. The rug was threadbare and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in decades. The air conditioner was a little job in the window, and made a cacophony of odd noises all night long without cooling the room. The sheets and towels were clean, so it wasn't a total hygiene loss, although I'm not sure I'd trust whatever little gremlins were running around in the pillows or blankets. And the so-called "continental breakfast" was a joke. OK, there was coffee, which was slightly drinkable, but the pastries were minimal at best and looked like they came out of an all-night vending machine. And, it was served in the office, which was large enough to hold all of about 3 people. We had to go out for breakfast to find something edible, which in Harwichport is a real job.

All in all, this place was clearly not what it was advertised to be. We would never in a million years go back. I really don't like to sound so negative about a place, but if I didn't have to stay there for a personal event, I would have turned around and gotten the heck out of there.

1  Thank lockerc18
riri228, Manager at Handkerchief Shoals Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2010

All I can say is "wow". You work hard all summer to provide the cleanest and most comfortable place you can for the thousands of guests who come through here and one obviously disgruntled guest goes out of his or her way to tear you up.
I'm sorry there is no way of knowing who this guest was so I could respond more directly.
There are still no broken frames here at all, so that is just a made up fault.
The breakfast we serve, because of local health codes, is required to be completely pre-packaged by the manufacturer. We would love to serve beautiful warm homemade and freshly baked items but it is just not allowed. We still search and search to bring you the best of what we are allowed to serve and we spend a small fortune to give so many great options to our guests.
We serve only 100% arabica coffee which most people seem to love.
I'm sorry you were dragged to a social event here on beautiful Cape Cod. I'm also sorry you didn't have a great time.
If you had spoken with anyone here, we would have told you many nice places to eat in Harwich, but it seems to me you're just taking another shot at the whole town too.
With so many nice reviews preceding yours, I'm hoping tripadvisor readers will take your own advice about "not believing everything you read on the internet".

Reviewed August 23, 2010

We stayed at Handkerchief Shoals Motel last week. We found the staff to be helpful and friendly. We decided to extend our stay by one day. The staff was very helpful and able to accommodate us.

We found the room and the grounds to be clean and quite, (I am very fussy about we where we stay). Our two girls thought the maid was awesome. (She would line up their flip flops or pose the stuff animals).

I would recommend The Handkerchief Shoals to family and friends.

Reviewed August 19, 2010

Français en bas.
*****
it's a good place to stay, near the beach (10 min, walk), nice pool, good service.
However, the room is quite small, the walls are thin, very small bathroom, no bath, only shower.
it's 5 min. (car) from the village of Harwich, which is a very nice town to visite. (Go to Hot Stove Saloon and ask a Lobster Roll!! Hum!)
I would recommend this place if you don't have a high budget and want to have a free access to a cool beach.
The owners are nice and the breakfast is just what you need to start your day!

****************

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Very friendly couple run the motel. It was much nicer than we expected for the price and it being pet friendly. Very clean rooms and pool area. It was great to have the picnic table and grill. The only complaint we have would be the comfort of the beds.

Reviewed August 15, 2010

My husband and I chose Handkerchief Shoals based on other Tripadvisor reviews, and we are glad we did. We just stayed one night to have a little getaway without the kids, as we always do while visiting the grandparents on the Cape. This motel met our needs perfectly. Most of all, it was EXTREMELY CLEAN and well-maintained. I couldn't believe how clean the pool was, in fact. Second, the proprietors are very friendly and helpful---a sharp contrast, I'm afraid, to what I've come to expect on the Cape. They recommend a nearby restaurant that was wonderful. Finally, let me add that the room was relatively spacious and the motel was conveniently located to the beach and shopping/restaurants.

One thing we were concerned about when we arrived was that the motel is a little close to a main road. As it turned out we didn't hear any traffic from our room, so that was not a problem. The motel is sufficiently set back from the road. On the other hand, there are armchairs outside the rooms and some of the other guests did sit out there and chat in the early evening, which was a trifle disturbing to our romantic mood, but whether that would really be a problem would depend on your neighbors and your sensitivity level. I do think it's nice that they have those chairs. It was not really a problem for us, and we will definitely return.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 14, 2010

This is an old-fashioned motel -- where all the rooms are on ground level and each room faces the parking lot so you're only a couple steps from your car to your door. Surprisingly, though, the sound insulation is excellent -- no traffic noise or sounds from your neighbors whatsoever. My "standard" room was good sized, with a comfortable double bed, a small couch and upholstered chair, a flat-screen TV, a big chest of drawers, and a small closet and bathroom. The air conditioner worked quietly and well, which I greatly appreciated since it was very hot and humid during my stay. The free, fast, wireless Internet access also worked well. The grounds were nicely landscaped and well maintained. The small swimming pool looked inviting. There's a beautiful beach within walking distance. I'm not sure if it's open to the public for swimming, but it's a great place to enjoy the view and the ocean breeze. All in all, the Handkerchief Shoals Motel is a nice place to stay and at only $125 per night during the middle of August, a great bargain as well.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 13, 2010

My husband and I found this motel online and were pleased with the reviews we had read. Handkerchief Shoals proved to be quaint and very clean. The room was spacious enough for my husband, myself and our 1 1/2 year old son. It was equipped with a microwave, decent-sized refrigerator, coffee maker, and flat screen t.v. The pool was clean and well maintained.

The motel is located in a very convenient location on Rt. 28 between Chatham and Harwich. It is directly across from the street that leads to Red River Beach. It's in walking distance of about 1/2 mile. (The beach is open to the public and day parking passes are available for $15, if you wish to drive.)

The continental breakfast was just enough for people who wish to grab something quick and easy. There was a nice assortment of yogurt, juice, packaged muffins, coffeecakes, and bagels.

We stayed in room 26. It was a pet free room on the end. It had a king sized bed, a small table and two chairs, and was still large enough to comfortably fit our son's pack n' play.

The only drawback I found in our experience was that the bed was not comfortable at all and squeaked loudly with any tossing or turning. I was only concerned that I would wake my son if I needed to make a trip to the bathroom in the middle of the night. However, we paid $114 a night. For the price, I believe that it would be difficult to find a better hotel at peak season on the Cape. I would recommend Handkerchief Shoals and would stay there again in the future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near South Harwich
Chatham Tides
Chatham Tides
#1 of 1 in South Chatham
Chatham Bars Inn Resort and Spa

Been to Handkerchief Shoals Inn? Share your experiences!